• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You know what annoys me about posts like this
    no??
    okay- well let me tell you: and yes- I realized no one asked- but since we are giving out unsolicited opinions about stuff - I'm going to throw mine out.
    Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked.

This- this is what is chronically wrong with these types of posts. It implies those of us who go to the gym do so because "tis' the way it's done sire!" and that's it- like it's something to be frowned up on.

I LOVE going to the gym- and I LOVE lifting weights. It's great you want to be outside getting splinters and getting cancer from the sun and getting burnt- go right ahead but don't piss on my gym time as something I'm forced to do. I REALLY TRULY LOVE DOING IT.

I'm all about finding extra movement- I personally don't push a cart at the grocery store- I ONLY carry a hand basket- it's part of my budgeting system AND it means I farmers walk all my groceries to the car- win win. But that doesn't mean I neglect my focused dedicated work. Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.

For some people its about being fit or healthy....in a way that makes them happy. Alot of people dont enjoy lifting weights. Its not their agenda. There is NOTHING wrong with this type of post...Everyone has a different way of doing this journey. Putting someone down ( which you did) for the way they choose to do it in my opinion is bullying. You really took his post out of context.

For me, weight lifting is the way i do it....i love it more than any other activity...thats just me....but, what ever works for someone else has NOTHING to do with me. It sure as heck doesent make me feel like someone is pissing on how i choose to do it. Doing something is better than nothing.

Original poster.....Great job on the weight loss to date.....and getting your movement in. Keep on keeping on my friend!!! You got this!

I'm not bullying anyone. That's absurd.

Goals matter. It's important. Sure- if you're goal is to just not sit around- then yes- doing this is fine- but the inherent "I don't go to the gym I just do what I like"... which comes up frequently- is implying that the rest of us aren't actually doing what we like. Secondly - just being slightly more active doesn't get you any dedicated movement toward being fit quiet honestly. It just means you're more active than doing nothing. and as I've said- doing something is significantly better than doing nothing. But magic 8 ball says "something" isn't get you to specific goals of fitness.

Can you imagine what kind of reception we would get if I posted a "You can walk around your garden all you want... good for you... but for me I prefer to do what I like- going to the gym."

do you know what kind of back lash I would get? It's the understated implication. He's more than welcome to do whatever he wants- just like I can do whatever I want. Its' a big fat "so what" kind of subject.

I think you are confusing inference with implication. And if I infer your meaning from this statement "Secondly - just being slightly more active doesn't get you any dedicated movement toward being fit quiet honestly." correctly, the statement is incorrect. In most instances, movement above and beyond what is normal will increase fitness.

I am an avid gardener and I wouldn't take any offense at your statement above. I might wonder why anyone would would spend any measurable amount of time walking around the garden, but I wouldn't be offended.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no??
    okay- well let me tell you: and yes- I realized no one asked- but since we are giving out unsolicited opinions about stuff - I'm going to throw mine out.
    Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked.

This- this is what is chronically wrong with these types of posts. It implies those of us who go to the gym do so because "tis' the way it's done sire!" and that's it- like it's something to be frowned up on.

I LOVE going to the gym- and I LOVE lifting weights. It's great you want to be outside getting splinters and getting cancer from the sun and getting burnt- go right ahead but don't piss on my gym time as something I'm forced to do. I REALLY TRULY LOVE DOING IT.

I'm all about finding extra movement- I personally don't push a cart at the grocery store- I ONLY carry a hand basket- it's part of my budgeting system AND it means I farmers walk all my groceries to the car- win win. But that doesn't mean I neglect my focused dedicated work. Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.

Cosign
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your post reminds me of this... Sent it to my husband (totally joking) when he text me that he was going to the gym. He didn't think it was funny. Lol

hw0skwqfigw8.jpg

This will be my workout soon - we are getting ready to cut hay & probably one of the few that still have a square baler. :#
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    I started my diet in September last year. I've lost 101 pounds so far went from a size 64 mens to 48-50. I decided early on the gym wasn't for me,the risk of staph infection is very high for my body.

Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked. For example, I plant a garden every year, just think of all the work involved moving, bending, pulling grass, picking veggies and preparing food. Also I planted a blackberry orchard last fall that needs a few hours of my time each week. I will have all the berries next year i need plus sell the surplus for extra cash. I needed to clear brush around my properly during the spring. That would burn way over 1000 calories in a few hours. I also simply walk daily.

Here are a few other things i do on the weekends,afternoons ect. Washing your car,power wash your home and driveway,push the lawn when mowing vs riding. If i was giving the option of buying a new bowflex or push mower i would pick the mower.

When grocery shopping write a list get one or two items then go all the way to the back of the store for the next item. You're going to get a good air conditioned walk applying this.

The point is pick things you genuinely like to do. If you like walking your dog go walk him vs going to the gym it's a good free burn.

I burn 600 calories walking daily. This is just alternative ideas if you have any please share yours. I would love to try new things that maybe i would enjoy.

Kudos to you for getting active. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as you keep moving. I personally do not like going to the gym. I feel too restricted within the walls & I have a hard time exercising in the AC. My workout time is equally divided between my own "crossfit-like" gym with two 12' rollup doors, 2 windows & 2 walk-doors and air circulated by a Swamp Cooler and Functional Farming Workouts :D I love to hear the chickens, goats & dogs while I'm working out.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I started my diet in September last year. I've lost 101 pounds so far went from a size 64 mens to 48-50. I decided early on the gym wasn't for me,the risk of staph infection is very high for my body.

Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked. For example, I plant a garden every year, just think of all the work involved moving, bending, pulling grass, picking veggies and preparing food. Also I planted a blackberry orchard last fall that needs a few hours of my time each week. I will have all the berries next year i need plus sell the surplus for extra cash. I needed to clear brush around my properly during the spring. That would burn way over 1000 calories in a few hours. I also simply walk daily.

Here are a few other things i do on the weekends,afternoons ect. Washing your car,power wash your home and driveway,push the lawn when mowing vs riding. If i was giving the option of buying a new bowflex or push mower i would pick the mower.

When grocery shopping write a list get one or two items then go all the way to the back of the store for the next item. You're going to get a good air conditioned walk applying this.

The point is pick things you genuinely like to do. If you like walking your dog go walk him vs going to the gym it's a good free burn.

I burn 600 calories walking daily. This is just alternative ideas if you have any please share yours. I would love to try new things that maybe i would enjoy.
    Once I drop 60-100 more pounds ill then think of ways to build muscle.

You're at increased risk of staph infection, but you're okay with spending time digging in the dirt, the general source of tetanus and other microbes? I'd just carry some hand sanitizer and wash my hands after working out if I was that worried.
    Losing weight is the best time to start resistance training, not after you've lost the weight. The sooner started, the more lean body mass you'll preserve. Keeping muscle is easier than rebuilding it. And as building or rebuilding it takes time, not just total accumulated effort, you might as well get started now.
  • senecarr
    Options
    no??

For some people its about being fit or healthy....in a way that makes them happy. Alot of people dont enjoy lifting weights. Its not their agenda. There is NOTHING wrong with this type of post...Everyone has a different way of doing this journey. Putting someone down ( which you did) for the way they choose to do it in my opinion is bullying. You really took his post out of context.

For me, weight lifting is the way i do it....i love it more than any other activity...thats just me....but, what ever works for someone else has NOTHING to do with me. It sure as heck doesent make me feel like someone is pissing on how i choose to do it. Doing something is better than nothing.

Original poster.....Great job on the weight loss to date.....and getting your movement in. Keep on keeping on my friend!!! You got this!

Goals matter. It's important. Sure- if you're goal is to just not sit around- then yes- doing this is fine- but the inherent "I don't go to the gym I just do what I like"... which comes up frequently- is implying that the rest of us aren't actually doing what we like. Secondly - just being slightly more active doesn't get you any dedicated movement toward being fit quiet honestly. It just means you're more active than doing nothing. and as I've said- doing something is significantly better than doing nothing. But magic 8 ball says "something" isn't get you to specific goals of fitness.

Can you imagine what kind of reception we would get if I posted a "You can walk around your garden all you want... good for you... but for me I prefer to do what I like- going to the gym."

do you know what kind of back lash I would get? It's the understated implication. He's more than welcome to do whatever he wants- just like I can do whatever I want. Its' a big fat "so what" kind of subject.

I think you are confusing inference with implication. And if I infer your meaning from this statement "Secondly - just being slightly more active doesn't get you any dedicated movement toward being fit quiet honestly." correctly, the statement is incorrect. In most instances, movement above and beyond what is normal will increase fitness.

I am an avid gardener and I wouldn't take any offense at your statement above. I might wonder why anyone would would spend any measurable amount of time walking around the garden, but I wouldn't be offended.
    There isn't really as big a distinction between the two as most people would like to thing. INTENT is not MAGIC. This thread may not have been written with the intent of implying there is something wrong with going to a gym, but it does, in fact, imply there is something wrong with it, by the way it was written. Others have already written the ways the sentiment could have been written to avoid making the implication.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're missing regular progressive resistance work ..you should be preserving your LBM not planning on rebuilding it later

Planting a garden or orchard once a year doesn't cut it for that

But great that you enjoy being generally active ..helps your NEAT
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    no??

bloody hell i really didnt read into the post the way you did. also the cancer talk is abit tacky and unnecessary.
    training plan i agree with you there will always be the best, but you are forgetting about the people who 1, cant afford the gym, 2 to frightened to go to the gym, 3 people who think if they cant get to the gym then they cant exercise and then might as well just sit down. So he is just thinking out of the box. calm down abit.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    no??

This post wasn't bashing gym attendees i said if you like the gym please go. I would never frown upon someones personal fitness program! the results in the end are all that matter. It's not about money for the membership. I could build a gym right here at my house if i wanted it. It's about what YOU like to do. Not what i like or your friends or what everyone tells you what you should do...

it didnt sound like gym bashing at all. it sounded more like get up and do something type of post.
  • TriciaCh
    TriciaCh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    I love the grocery store idea! I don't love grocery shopping, but what an easy way to get in some extra movement. Thanks!

Yeah I like it! Usually can do 6000-7000 steps per shopping trip via this method. If you got a lowes or another store nearby try it out there. Them stores are huge after an hour lapping around in it you will need a breather trust me.

I don't get this. I lap the store twice and get around 1500 steps. I even verified yesterday because of post you made in another thread.

I second Hornsby's post about muscle retention. He's not talking about building muscle, he's talking about preserving the muscle you already have. It's something you should be thinking about now, not later.

I think you missed what he was trying to get at... get something from the front of the store, then go get something at the back of the store... add extra steps...if you wanted to get crazy you could pick up one item... go clear across the store to get another... then back to the same row to get something else. I like this idea.. my normal routine works.. but it's a way to add extra steps. Or you can go up and down every aisle the double back and do it in the opposite direction.

I don't think he's trying to tell anyone that this is the way to do it... just ways he's found of adding extra movement to his day.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    no??

He said if that's what you like... I believe this is a post aimed at people who don't like it. Make sure your opinion makes sense before you post, solicited or not.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    no??

He said if that's what you like... I believe this is a post aimed at people who don't like it. Make sure your opinion makes sense before you post, solicited or not.

A post aimed at people who don't like . . .what? Can you provide clarity please?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You're missing regular progressive resistance work ..you should be preserving your LBM not planning on rebuilding it later

You don't have to workout in a gym or with weights to preserve LBM.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    no??

There isn't really as big a distinction between the two as most people would like to thing. INTENT is not MAGIC. This thread may not have been written with the intent of implying there is something wrong with going to a gym, but it does, in fact, imply there is something wrong with it, by the way it was written. Others have already written the ways the sentiment could have been written to avoid making the implication.

Read the replies. Plenty of people did not take it that way. Probably as many or more than did, so that would suggest the implication was not there. Many of those that did reference other posts, which would suggest that they are inferring something based on a history and this post, and not this post alone.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Did she say you had to workout in the gym to for resistance? Either way, his plan is missing resistance work.
  • senecarr
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    no??

Read the replies. Plenty of people did not take it that way. Probably as many or more than did, so that would suggest the implication was not there. Many of those that did reference other posts, which would suggest that they are inferring something based on a history and this post, and not this post alone.
    I did read the replies, hence I mentioned "others have already written the ways the sentiment could have been written to avoid the implication." That SOME people don't infer it, does not mean it isn't an implication.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Did she say you had to workout in the gym to for resistance? Either way, his plan is missing resistance work.

This ^^ (and no I didn't)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I get the idea of moving more, but certain people read into things too much and then start thinking that gardening is their exercise. They log an insane amount of calories burnt for daily activities and don't realize they are double dipping those calories. I see it happen on here every day. So op, if you enjoy gardening and pushing a cart , then so be it .but there's a lot missing from that type of exercise plan.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

There are lots of ways to incorporate resistance training into your daily routine. For instance, instead of watering with a hose, fill a couple buckets and farmers walk them to your crops. Or add some lunging into your walking.

You also said you lost 101 pounds. Which is awesome! Do you think you are stronger today? Have you tried carrying 100lbs of sand bags on your shoulders? You may want to get creative and add some accessory work to your routine to help retain your LBM.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Your post reminds me of this... Sent it to my husband (totally joking) when he text me that he was going to the gym. He didn't think it was funny. Lol

hw0skwqfigw8.jpg

That is funny. My boss's wife is 63. Weighs maybe 120# (very low BFP) soaking wet. But she works the farm all day. 4 horses, chickens etc. Lifts two 45 pound bales at a time. Moves about 1000 pounds of hay on the delivery days.
    Her new doctor told her that she wanted her to start going to the gym to lift light weights :) Ha! The assumptions people make can be pretty silly :D