Dizziness

Options
13»

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Mandi98U wrote: »
    I've been losing weight since about January with the ups and downs as usual. I have my goal weight set to 155 ( I'm 5'7) and then once I hit that I want to lose a few more pounds but plan to do that with losing less weight per week so I can slowly make my way to maintence. As it is the summer I am a lot more active because I have a physically summer demanding job but I don't want to change my activity level because I am not as active on my days off. However lately I've been getting dizzy a lot like today is my day off and I was out walking my dog before my softball double header (we walk a mile a day) and I got sooo dizzy I had to sit down on the side of the road and relax mind you we don't walk fast at all it's a leisure pace. Any ideas on why I've been so dizzy lately and how I can change that. Oh and any tips on how I can account for the extra calories I'm burning working.

FitBit. This, too, could make your deficit too high. If your deficit is more than 1200 calories a day at your current weight, it's probably going to be trouble for you. So you really should get a FitBit.

If your deficit is more than 1200 calories AT YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT, you could be getting dizzy from that.

If you were 200lbs, same height, average woman's build, you'd be just fine with that deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If this is happening when you're outside and you're spending a lot of time outside and it's hot, I would suggest that you're suffering from dehydration.

Dehydration is very rare in cases where people aren't losing a lot of water through sweat, but being hot actually depresses your thirst, and you can think you're fine but not be. (This happens in winter sports a lot, too, actually!) If your pee's mostly clear or a very light yellow, you're good. If it's darker, you're having problems.

You can also suffer from heat exhaustion without being dehyrated. Above 140lbs, I'm really susceptible to it, myself.

NO, your calorie-counts aren't too low for your height RIGHT NOW, but you should pay pretty close attention to your macros AND micros as you get into the low calorie diet zone for women (1000-1200 calories). It's harder to get the minimums with a "random" diet at that calorie count, but there's nothing wrong with it.

And your plan to get to your "goal" and then slow your loss is perfectly fine, but you should find out what your lean mass is an have a deficit of NO MORE THAN 27 calories per day per pound of fat that you have. This is because fat can only mobilize at a certain rate. At 5'7", 142lbs might be too low a fat mass for you not to be burning more lean mass, which is what you TOTALLY don't want!!!! To be safe, I'd start decreasing my deficit by 30 calories for every pound I lost below 145lbs. Then at 140, you could jump down to 750 cal deficit, and at 135, if you still want to lose, to 500...or just ease into maintenance.

My "goal," too, is my "ease into maintenance" number. I've hit 135lbs now, and at 5'6", I don't have enough fat mass to support a 1000-calorie deficit. LOL. So I've cut it to 945 max deficit now and will continue to drop it as I get closer to goal to ensure that I really am losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible.

WHY are you promoting under eating to a 19 year old girl? Why are you promoting under eating at all? This is unacceptable!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Where do you live? If this is happening when you're outside and you're spending a lot of time outside and it's hot, I would suggest that you're suffering from dehydration.

Dehydration is very rare in cases where people aren't losing a lot of water through sweat, but being hot actually depresses your thirst, and you can think you're fine but not be. (This happens in winter sports a lot, too, actually!) If your pee's mostly clear or a very light yellow, you're good. If it's darker, you're having problems.

You can also suffer from heat exhaustion without being dehyrated. Above 140lbs, I'm really susceptible to it, myself.

NO, your calorie-counts aren't too low for your height RIGHT NOW, but you should pay pretty close attention to your macros AND micros as you get into the low calorie diet zone for women (1000-1200 calories). It's harder to get the minimums with a "random" diet at that calorie count, but there's nothing wrong with it.

And your plan to get to your "goal" and then slow your loss is perfectly fine, but you should find out what your lean mass is an have a deficit of NO MORE THAN 27 calories per day per pound of fat that you have. This is because fat can only mobilize at a certain rate. At 5'7", 142lbs might be too low a fat mass for you not to be burning more lean mass, which is what you TOTALLY don't want!!!! To be safe, I'd start decreasing my deficit by 30 calories for every pound I lost below 145lbs. Then at 140, you could jump down to 750 cal deficit, and at 135, if you still want to lose, to 500...or just ease into maintenance.

My "goal," too, is my "ease into maintenance" number. I've hit 135lbs now, and at 5'6", I don't have enough fat mass to support a 1000-calorie deficit. LOL. So I've cut it to 945 max deficit now and will continue to drop it as I get closer to goal to ensure that I really am losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible.

WHY are you promoting under eating to a 19 year old girl? Why are you promoting under eating at all? This is unacceptable!

Agreed... at 19 years old and at 5'7 (and looking at her avatar appears very active) she should be eating WAY more than 1,000-1,200 calories. (Which is under MFP lowest recommendation anyway)

OP- I agree with PeachyCarol...I recommend switching to 1 pound per week. You may have said this already, but do you eat back you exercise calories?

Edit: I peaked at your diary. I would look at upping your protein and fat as well. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Wrong on so many levels. Telling someone it's alright to eat very low calories, you should be ashamed of yourself. She is already having some health issues now. Stop giving bad advice out!!!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight since about January with the ups and downs as usual. I have my goal weight set to 155 ( I'm 5'7) and then once I hit that I want to lose a few more pounds but plan to do that with losing less weight per week so I can slowly make my way to maintence. As it is the summer I am a lot more active because I have a physically summer demanding job but I don't want to change my activity level because I am not as active on my days off. However lately I've been getting dizzy a lot like today is my day off and I was out walking my dog before my softball double header (we walk a mile a day) and I got sooo dizzy I had to sit down on the side of the road and relax mind you we don't walk fast at all it's a leisure pace. Any ideas on why I've been so dizzy lately and how I can change that. Oh and any tips on how I can account for the extra calories I'm burning working.

I'm 5' 7" as well. I eat roughly around 2100 calories a day on average. My goal weight is 158. I have been losing around 3/4 pounds a week, but my rate of loss is set at 1/2. I think that's because of my activity level. I try to eat most of my exercise calories back. Maybe you could try eating your exercise calories back. You could definitely be eating more, even if it's a couple hundred calories.

She's already below your goal weight. That means her burn for exercise are lower than yours. But I don't see evidence that exercise is being entered at all, so her deficit could be WAY higher than she thinks, which WOULD be seriously concerning.

I think many things would become clear with a FitBit synced to her account. If she IS active, she's probably actually undereating for her set deficit. That's going to make her feel like crap!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 7" as well. I eat roughly around 2100 calories a day on average. My goal weight is 158. I have been losing around 3/4 pounds a week, but my rate of loss is set at 1/2. I think that's because of my activity level. I try to eat most of my exercise calories back. Maybe you could try eating your exercise calories back. You could definitely be eating more, even if it's a couple hundred calories.

She's already below your goal weight. That means her burn for exercise are lower than yours. But I don't see evidence that exercise is being entered at all, so her deficit could be WAY higher than she thinks, which WOULD be seriously concerning.

I think many things would become clear with a FitBit synced to her account. If she IS active, she's probably actually undereating for her set deficit. That's going to make her feel like crap!
    Please stahp.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Agreed... at 19 years old and at 5'7 (and looking at her avatar appears very active) she should be eating WAY more than 1,000-1,200 calories. (Which is under MFP lowest recommendation anyway)

OP- I agree with PeachyCarol...I recommend switching to 1 pound per week. You may have said this already, but do you eat back you exercise calories?

Edit: I peaked at your diary. I would look at upping your protein and fat as well. :)

Looking at her diary she hasn't even logged exercise recently. I'm guessing with softball she's at least had practices in the last week, and there's nothing there activity wise. :(
  • Azexas
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Looking at her diary she hasn't even logged exercise recently. I'm guessing with softball she's at least had practices in the last week, and there's nothing there activity wise. :(

I was looking for macros- I didn't even think to look for activity (bad troutsy, I know)
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I weigh 168 and I am kind of active not including my work activity I do strength training 5 days a week and play softball 2 days a week walk my dog 1 mile everyday and try to run a mile 3-4 days a week but I don't log it because I've heard that mfp estimates are really high for calories burned
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I weigh 168 and I am kind of active not including my work activity I do strength training 5 days a week and play softball 2 days a week walk my dog 1 mile everyday and try to run a mile 3-4 days a week but I don't log it because I've heard that mfp estimates are really high for calories burned

What is your activity level set at in MFP?
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options

What is your activity level set at in MFP?
    Sedentary
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you're VERY active and only eating 1100 calories? This is seriously alarming.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ... seek specialized professional help. Your diary shows some red flags which coupled with the fact your undereating is resulting in dizziness is definitely troublesome.

The part in bold is absolutely untrue. Telling a young woman who is already on an unhealthy intake that her calorie count isn't too low is reprehensible behavior. If I were to use the words that most accurately describe the content of your post quoted here, I would violate the community guidelines ... it is that far beyond the pale.
  • Azexas
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP I ran your numbers through the Scooby Calorie Calculator. I put in 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, your height and weight ( I guessed between your goal weight and how much you had left on your ticker)

For one pound a week weight loss you should be eating around 1941 calories a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Honey, that's way more than "kind of active". And you should log it and eat back 50%-75% of calories burned, that's how MFP was intended to work. Yes, the burns tend to be inflated hence why the general rule of thumb is to only eat back 50%-75%. You are seriously under nourishing your body for your level of activity, and this dizziness is only one sign the start of a VERY bad path you're taking. Enter your exercise, and eat back 75% of it right now. At this point I would rather see you get your calories up and then focus on hitting macros once you're eating enough.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You have no idea what her body composition is now, nor what her activity levels are, or where she spends her days.

Her body is telling her something, and you, who are eating at a high deficit yourself, should not be handing out advice to a young girl.

I've reported you.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    OP ... seek specialized professional help. Your diary shows some red flags which coupled with the fact your undereating is resulting in dizziness is definitely troublesome.

The part in bold is absolutely untrue. Telling a young woman who is already on an unhealthy intake that her calorie count isn't too low is reprehensible behavior. If I were to use the words that most accurately describe the content of your post quoted here, I would violate the community guidelines ... it is that far beyond the pale.

Reprehensible...there's the word I was looking for. So many things wrong with that advice, OP. PLEASE seek professional medical advice regarding your dizziness. At minimum, take the advice of those who have told you to up your caloric intake and appropriately fuel your body.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,216 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. I think the OP got some great advice here - unfortunately some of the posts include suggestions that violate community guidelines, and as a result the discussion sort of blew up in a way that is not conducive to the OP.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    davis_em
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.