How can I burn 500 calories?

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The Firm has a workout called "500 calorie workout". It's one hour, but its a great combination of cardio and strength. I don't burn 500 calories while doing it, but I'm small. Running, especially with incline, is about the only way for me to get higher burns.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    run!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Any cardio, the problem is you will have to be really pushing it and it will need to be near continuous. The less you weigh the fewer calories you will burn all things being equal.
  • garrettg84
    garrettg84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look up cold therapy. It is miserable but you can literally sit still in an ice bath and burn more calories than working out (at a mild pace). I hate doing cardio. Ice baths are less miserable than running.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    garrettg84 wrote: »
    Look up cold therapy. It is miserable but you can literally sit still in an ice bath and burn more calories than working out (at a mild pace). I hate doing cardio. Ice baths are less miserable than running.

Ummmm no.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You're going to burn approx. the same amount as you would sitting on your sofa that way. Sure, you'll burn some. We even burn calories while sleeping. But you're not going to burn much, and certainly nowhere near 500 cal in 45 min.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

:laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but.

wai??

This

500 cals in 45 minutes is not something that you're realistically going to do unless you're pretty well conditioned, for most of the suggestions so far, you might make half of that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Damn- all these years I've wasted actually working out when I could have been sitting around on my *kitten* doing nothing AND getting strong and ripped!!! WHO KNEW!!! EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!
  • KateSm33
    KateSm33 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Swimming!!
  • brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells... Several studies have shown that Kettlebell workouts burn roughly 20.2 calories per minute!
    That's pretty intense and I have seen amazing gains (fat loss) in a very short period of time using KB's.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    brad837 wrote: »
    Kettlebells... Several studies have shown that Kettlebell workouts burn roughly 20.2 calories per minute!
    That's pretty intense and I have seen amazing gains (fat loss) in a very short period of time using KB's.

Do you have links? That is an incredibly high burn.
  • brad837
    Options

In one study sponsored by the American Council on Exercise (ACE),3 participants were able to burn calories ‘off the charts’ when they used kettlebells in a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) format, which allows you to get an intense workout in a short amount of time.

They used 10 volunteers, ranging in age from 29 to 46, who were experienced with kettlebells, and asked them to do a workout consisting of swinging a kettlebell one-handed between their legs and over their head in what’s known as a “snatch” motion. The 20-minute interval workout entailed:4

“Following a basic warm-up, subjects did 15 seconds of one-armed snatches, first with their dominant hand, then after a 15-second rest period, they performed another 15 seconds of snatches with the other hand.

The workout continued like that, with intervals of 15 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest, for 20 minutes, followed by a five-minute cool-down.”

During the workout, participants burned an average of 13.6 calories per minute aerobically, plus another 6.6 calories per minute anaerobically.

“So they were burning at least 20.2 calories per minute, which is off the charts. That’s equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace. The only other thing I could find that burns that many calories is cross-country skiing up hill at a fast pace,” said the study’s lead researcher, John Porcari, Ph.D.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

635347412552170157waitwhatgif.gif
  • brad837
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

635347412552170157waitwhatgif.gif

LOL...

My thoughts exactly!!!

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Have my wife to cook your dinner ...

sPwgpLj.gif?noredirect[img][/img]
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I just did a very hard indoor session on a power meter equipped cycle trainer (Wattbike Pro) and it registered 662 cals in 45 mins but that included 30 mins pushing pretty close to my maximum.

But like others I wonder what the fixation is with a particular number of calories in a set amount of time?
    Would suggest exercise should be primarily for fitness (and hopefully enjoyment).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Depends what you weigh.

11 calories per minute is quite a bit in reality.
    THIS. Not as hard to burn if you're heavy. Much harder if you're lighter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

In one study sponsored by the American Council on Exercise (ACE),3 participants were able to burn calories ‘off the charts’ when they used kettlebells in a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) format, which allows you to get an intense workout in a short amount of time.

They used 10 volunteers, ranging in age from 29 to 46, who were experienced with kettlebells, and asked them to do a workout consisting of swinging a kettlebell one-handed between their legs and over their head in what’s known as a “snatch” motion. The 20-minute interval workout entailed:4

“Following a basic warm-up, subjects did 15 seconds of one-armed snatches, first with their dominant hand, then after a 15-second rest period, they performed another 15 seconds of snatches with the other hand.

The workout continued like that, with intervals of 15 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest, for 20 minutes, followed by a five-minute cool-down.”

During the workout, participants burned an average of 13.6 calories per minute aerobically, plus another 6.6 calories per minute anaerobically.

“So they were burning at least 20.2 calories per minute, which is off the charts. That’s equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace. The only other thing I could find that burns that many calories is cross-country skiing up hill at a fast pace,” said the study’s lead researcher, John Porcari, Ph.D.

How was it measured? Do you have the study?

To the OP, 500 in 45 minutes is doable, but not nearly as easy as a lot of people are saying.
  • brad837
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

How was it measured? Do you have the study?

To the OP, 500 in 45 minutes is doable, but not nearly as easy as a lot of people are saying.

No, I do not have the study, nor have I read it...

Several articles I have read online quote different studies and generally the amount of calories burned seems pretty consistent.

That being said I think the amount of calories burned in a specific amount of time is going to be very unique to an individual. My experience with Kettlebells over the past 3 years has been amazing. When I get on an HiiT KB routine, in a matter of just a couple of weeks (watching my diet of course) I see the fat just melt off, my abs start to show and the vascularity in my arms, shoulders and chest becomes much more pronounced...

Everyone's mileage will very, but I am a HUGE believer in KB's!