Bad Foods Tell Me To Eat Them

Options
mariemxx
mariemxx Posts: 56 Member
:# Such a funny title but I'm so serious, I was at subway last night (SO MANY HEALTHY OPTIONS) and what do I do .. I get a steak and cheese flatbread. I know better. and even though it was within my calorie range I'm still disappointed in myself for not making a better choice. I really think sometimes I cant do it because its like im addicted to these horrible foods with so much sugar and so many calories. its terrible. but today is a new day and I didn't go over my calorie budget but still !

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why are you beating yourself up? if it came in within your calorie limit- then you're fine?

I see no problem here.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    So you ate something and you were still within your calorie allowance for the day? I don't really see a problem. The only issue you may see is a couple pounds of water weight from the high sodium, but that's about it.
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    So you ate something and you were still within your calorie allowance for the day? I don't really see a problem. The only issue you may see is a couple pounds of water weight from the high sodium, but that's about it.

Well I left out the part where I ate the chips - :( and that pushed me over the top.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    why are you beating yourself up? if it came in within your calorie limit- then you're fine?

I see no problem here.
    ^^^This.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    mariemxx wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

Well I left out the part where I ate the chips - :( and that pushed me over the top.

Over the top? Were you in your calorie limit for the day or no? Either way, it's one day. Dust yourself off and just plan a little better the next time you go out.
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Lol not beating myself up just know I should've eaten better !
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as bad food. food is food. period

so long as you stay in your calorie allotment, you will lose weight. and if you don't eat healthy every day, that's ok too
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I had chocolate for breakfast, and I'm not the least bit sorry about it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are they dirty as well?

Bad, dirty food.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Sugar in your diet doesn't really matter unless you have specific health issues.

It also does not matter if you eat high calorie foods, if you're still within your calorie limit. Even if went over-a subway size bag of chips could not have been more than 200 cal. Most likely you were still under maintenance for the day.

Absolutely no food is bad. You eat a cheesesteak, so protein carbs and fat. Did you put veggies on it? Did you have anything else to eat that day to maybe help you hit some of your other micro nutrients? You're fine, you just need to change your mindset.
  • mariemxx
    Options
    I agree. No such thing as bad food. It it's fits your calorie goals, you're fine. If you wish it could have been a bit more nutritious, then keep that in mind for next time - lesson learned. the main question should be, was it worth it. Was the food satisfying to you at that time? Did it cause cravings later? Would you spend the calories on it again? Did you have to skimp on the rest of your day to make it fit? Those are the important questions. Once a month, I have Mellow Mushroom pizza. On that day, I really have to cut back my lunch and snacks at work. I work a physical 12-hour shift and it's hard to get through it on small amounts of food. Is it worth it to me to go through that to have that pizza? You bet! If it were every day, it would get old fast and I'd never have it. This is what I mean by deciding if it's worth it. Learning to fit things into your daily goals really teaches you what you love and what you're just eating. It wasn't the sandwich that was at fault, the sandwich fit. You could have had the sandwich fine, or maybe eaten 3/4 of the sandwich and some of the chips. It's things like this that started me pre-logging my food, even if it's only two minutes beforehand. That way, I can still make sure whatever I eat fits.

This is the advice I was looking for .. THANK YOU! I know it wasn't necessarily like a life changing diet mistake lol I'm just voicing my frustration.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just budget for the foods you love. There are no bad foods.

Note that there is a 20% degree of error in nutritional labeling, so if the weight isn't coming off, re-check your calories in because your math is off somewhere. Many professionals cast doubt on calorie counting due to the difficulty in this, but if you overestimate your intake and underestimate your exercise you'll do great.
  • mariemxx
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Just budget for the foods you love. There are no bad foods.

Note that there is a 20% degree of error in nutritional labeling, so if the weight isn't coming off, re-check your calories in because your math is off somewhere. Many professionals cast doubt on calorie counting due to the difficulty in this, but if you overestimate your intake and underestimate your exercise you'll do great.

Thank you !
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Rocky_1975 wrote: »
    mariemxx wrote: »
    :# Such a funny title but I'm so serious, I was at subway last night (SO MANY HEALTHY OPTIONS) and what do I do .. I get a steak and cheese flatbread. I know better. and even though it was within my calorie range I'm still disappointed in myself for not making a better choice. I really think sometimes I cant do it because its like im addicted to these horrible foods with so much sugar and so many calories. its terrible. but today is a new day and I didn't go over my calorie budget but still !
    Seems like food/"bad food"/sugar "addiction" is a convenient escape from responsibility. Just call it an addiction and then it's not my fault anymore

Not at all, I know it is completely within me to resist the cravings for these foods. however I do know that you do go through a withdrawal period when minimizing processed foods and sugars.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    IIFYM, it wasnt a bad choice, and there are no bad foods. There are foods with varying nutritional profiles, some of which provide more or a better ratio of macro and micro nutrients.

From Subway web site for 6" version:
    ev2e87t9nse2.jpg

Looks like a balanced meal profile to me.... 1/3 of your RDA for essential fat, ~1/3 of RDA for protein, and lots of carbs for energy. The sodium might be a little higher that you'd want, but any sandwich you got from subway would have the same problem, due to the processed meats.

Here's an example, using the Club:

r134kgvi6gth.jpg

Amazing how a "good" option has more fat and sodium than your "bad" choice, with similar carbs and protein.

As far as your whole theory on addiction, its 100% on you. You either control your diet, or you let it control you. There are no scapegoats here. Log it, own it, and move on.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with a steak and cheese? Protein, fat, carbs... add some extra veggies and its actually a pretty well balanced meal.
  • mariemxx
    Options
    It's about how I felt after eating it. that is all.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Sure, maybe you could have made a better choice...but you ate it, and it's in the past now! So, don't dwell, get back to your healthy eating today and I doubt it will make much of a difference in the big scheme of things. Have a great food day today!
  • mariemxx
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    Sure, maybe you could have made a better choice...but you ate it, and it's in the past now! So, don't dwell, get back to your healthy eating today and I doubt it will make much of a difference in the big scheme of things. Have a great food day today!

Thanks shauna ! <3