Thoughts on Rice?(:

Options
Hey guys!
I am Indian so I eat rice many days for dinner, about 3-4 times a week for meals. I've recently switched to brown rice and cracked wheat (but I won't go for quinoa because I don't like it).
Any thoughts? People always say that rice is bad for you; is it okay for me to keep eating it so frequently? Thanks!(:

Replies

• StevenjHaley
    Options
    I wonder about this living in China. Looking forward to the replies you get. The general population here seem pretty healthy and they eat it twice a day every day at least.
  • PradaGx
    PradaGx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would say so. I eat brown rice daily also and still managed to drop nearly 60 lb total. But I do portion it each meal tho. I would say a fist size per meal and I eat it about 2-3 times a day.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    White rice is nutritionally bankrupt, but for only 8 calories more per cup, brown rice is chock full of nutrients. I say go for it, but keep the amount small and make sure that you get enough plain water, fruits and veggies, and protein.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    who's ever said rice is bad? Rice is great.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i go out of my way to eat brown rice.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Gahh, white rice is my downfall! Grew up eating it pretty much everyday, so it was definitely hard to let go of it. I definitely still eat it, but much less, moderating my intake. Also been experimenting with brown rice, and hopefully I'll get into eating more quinoa as well :)
  • StevenjHaley
    Options
    What does nutritionally bankrupt mean?
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is great, but the thing is you must measure it and know how much is a serving and eat a serving. You can easily eat 300 calories in brown rice and then if you put anything on that, you end up in the negative. So with rice, go brown but make sure you are eating exactly a single portion. Most ppl eat two to three times the serving and that's where it comes into trouble. :smile:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont eat rice any more brown rice is nasty
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Rice is only bad if you don't like it.

If it fits into your calories, eat it.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat rice several times per week :) Nothing wrong with it :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    it's carbs, generally brown rice is healthier than white rice because it has more nutrients even though depending on the brand the white may have fewer calories I've noticed. If you're living in asia you often don't have the choice of brown rice, it's just white, or sometimes more natural with purple or black rice in it. It's just carbs and everyone needs carbs so you just don't want to have huge amounts of it. It's easy to underestimate the amount of rice you are having and it's easy to eat a lot of it so just make sure you're being realistic with portion size.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    brown rice is better for you than whit e rice
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't eat rice of any kind, I usually will fill out my dishes with chopped fresh spinach or cauli flower rice or something like that. Now I think about it, I would say its been a good year since I last had rice and I don't miss it.

The way I think about it, I would much rather get my carbs from delicious sweet potato than boring yucky rice :)
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Rice is fantastic, however you need to consider portion control. I like rice and brown rice but my favorite rice is Basmati, it has a slighter lower GI index and is often considered a bit healthier than white rice. It is also a rice that comes from India.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you don't like brown rice, try black rice. It's pretty good!
  • Fitonemichelle
    Fitonemichelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    White rice is a "safe starch" according to the Perfect Health Diet (pHD). I say eat it!

Brown rice is high in toxins (i.e., arsenic!), so avoid... (read http://chriskresser.com/arsenic-in-rice-how-concerned-should-you-be for more info)

Basically, if it was safe for your great grandmother to eat it, it's probably ok. If it's something she wouldn't recognize, do not eat.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definitely brown rice is the better choice. 3 times a week is fine, I think.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Rice is awesome. There is really not much difference between brown and white rice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Lol, all these brown rice proponents, yet in almost all Asian countries they eat white rice and don't have the weight issues of other countries.:laugh:

**** brown rice. I'll always go with the white rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition