My protein sources are too filling and too low in calories.

Options
ffbrown25
ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey y'all --

First, I don't eat meat. I just started training for a half-marathon and doing some pretty heavy strength training (CrossFit). I'm at a healthy BMI, and though I do want to lose about 10 pounds, that goal is secondary. I started using MFP to track my macros and was ALARMED by the protein requirements. I have never eaten this much protein. And I'm not a stringy girl, either. I've got some serious muscle tone already.

I have been STUFFING myself with protein. By the time I go to sleep, it feels like someone has inflated a balloon in my belly. I can barely look at an egg. But I'm not touching what I know my daily caloric intake should be. I am burning many more calories than MFP thinks I am (mostly via CrossFit, but also by walking to work, and spending all day at my job on my feet; MFP only knows about the calories I burn from running). Every night after I complete my diary, I'm worried about the message MFP gives me -- basically that at this rate, I'll lose ten pounds in five weeks, but it'll probably be much quicker (and more unhealthy) than that, due to the extra calories I'm burning. Again, my BMI is already within the normal range.

Getting frustrated. I don't see myself changing my vegetarian diet, ever, and I am mildly intolerant to dairy (I can eat cheese, but not milk, or whey protein powder). My diary is open. Anybody have a suggestion??

Replies

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What do you weigh? From what I've read (and someone can correct me if i'm remembering this incorrectly), the recommended daily intake, or what you should consume is .8 g protein per pound you weigh. Anything more than that is not needed.

You can change the macros that are set by MFP (you don't need to use the automatic defaults)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Could you try beans, legumes, peanut butter and such? Also, if you find that you're not able to get enough calories, switch to foods with more fats and calories; stay away from light/fat free. You sound like you're doing a ton of activity; make sure you set your activity level higher in MFP to account for standing on your feet all day, etc.
  • ffbrown25
    Options
    What do you weigh? From what I've read (and someone can correct me if i'm remembering this incorrectly), the recommended daily intake, or what you should consume is .8 g protein per pound you weigh. Anything more than that is not needed.

You can change the macros that are set by MFP (you don't need to use the automatic defaults)

I am 5'8 and weigh 153 pounds. .8 of my body weight would be 122 grams. Even meeting 100g, for me, is a struggle. On the days that I do meet or exceed 100g, I feel so stuffed that I want to throw up. :(
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    in terms of protein powder.. there are plenty of other options besides whey that vegans use - i.e. vega one, sun warrior, etc.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'd look into a vegan protein powder - less filling but you'll still hit your protein goals.
  • ffbrown25
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    in terms of protein powder.. there are plenty of other options besides whey that vegans use - i.e. vega one, sun warrior, etc.
    I'd look into a vegan protein powder - less filling but you'll still hit your protein goals.
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    Could you try beans, legumes, peanut butter and such? Also, if you find that you're not able to get enough calories, switch to foods with more fats and calories; stay away from light/fat free. You sound like you're doing a ton of activity; make sure you set your activity level higher in MFP to account for standing on your feet all day, etc.

I make protein shakes with hemp protein powder, peanut butter and Greek yogurt once or twice a day. Those are actually some of my most successful meals. High in calories and protein, but not too filling. But they're effing expensive!! And logistically not the most convenient. I can't take them to work, for example, and usually don't have time to make two in the morning.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Can you do Greek yogurt? There are also vegan and non-dairy protein powders, I do not find drinking my calories to be very filling.

Sneak in protein by swapping some non-traditional protein sources. There are breads, cereals, pastas and lots of items with extra protein-it is the macronutrient of the moment.Simple swaps can make a big difference. As far as getting enough calories just go for more calorie dense foods-avocados, nuts, cook in oil, etc. Chocolate adds up quick.

I was recently struggling with this myself (don't eat meat), but I do eat a lot of dairy. My goal is 100g/day. I was rarely hitting this until I added in some protein powder and really focused on protein first-everything else second.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would aim to meet the protein - IF YOU CAN. but focus more on the calorie intake. Im also training for a half marathon and I notice that if I consistently keep a big deficit, my running seriously takes a hit.

Add some (more?) butter, oil, peanut butter, egg yolks, etc...

I lift heavy 2-3 days a week and run 4-5 days a week. I never meet my protein requirements either unless I add a protein shake (and I'm a meat eater!). I do what I can, but focus on the calorie total.

Also, there are some soy and vegan protein powders on the market. Hopefully someone else can chime in with their experiences with them. I drink body logix whey protein (which on another note my daughter can drink and she is also mildly lactose intolerant...she can eat cheese cereal with milk (but cant drink the milk)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Honestly you're eating around around 125 (averaging your lower days with your higher days)... that's a reasonably amount- and I would hardly consider it stuffing yourself with protein.

But hit anywhere over 100 grams and you're fine- I wouldn't really go way out of your way to sweat hitting a higher mark as long as you can average 100 or more.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Triple vote on the vegan protein powder

I use whey protein powder everyday to supplement my protein target, otherwise I'd be spending $$$$$$ on lean meats, etc.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    Hey y'all --

First, I don't eat meat. I just started training for a half-marathon and doing some pretty heavy strength training (CrossFit). I'm at a healthy BMI, and though I do want to lose about 10 pounds, that goal is secondary. I started using MFP to track my macros and was ALARMED by the protein requirements. I have never eaten this much protein. And I'm not a stringy girl, either. I've got some serious muscle tone already.

I have been STUFFING myself with protein. By the time I go to sleep, it feels like someone has inflated a balloon in my belly. I can barely look at an egg. But I'm not touching what I know my daily caloric intake should be. I am burning many more calories than MFP thinks I am (mostly via CrossFit, but also by walking to work, and spending all day at my job on my feet; MFP only knows about the calories I burn from running). Every night after I complete my diary, I'm worried about the message MFP gives me -- basically that at this rate, I'll lose ten pounds in five weeks, but it'll probably be much quicker (and more unhealthy) than that, due to the extra calories I'm burning. Again, my BMI is already within the normal range.

Getting frustrated. I don't see myself changing my vegetarian diet, ever, and I am mildly intolerant to dairy (I can eat cheese, but not milk, or whey protein powder). My diary is open. Anybody have a suggestion??

It's pretty easy to add calorie dense foods to your diet. A serving of peanut butter will give you a boost of 200 calories. Double that and you're up to 400. Add some olive oil to your protein source, and you've got 120 calories. (and that's a nice, monounsaturated fat, if you're worried about that sort of thing).

Already added 520 calories to your day.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    your fiber yesterday was 68 grams , that might be the reason that you feel extremely stuffed. slow down on roughage and protein powders. Then see how you feel.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is kind of unrelated, but OP I like your shirt!
  • ffbrown25
    Options
    Pie319 wrote: »
    This is kind of unrelated, but OP I like your shirt!

Thank you! :smiley:
  • ffbrown25
    Options
    I guess I'm just going to wait and see if my body adapts to this new diet. I'll aim for 122g a day, and if I fall short, I'm not going to stress about it. My major worry is that I won't maintain the muscle tone that makes me feel so good. But honestly, if I so much as look at a kettle ball, my biceps swell. I think I'll be fine. Thanks everyone for your input :)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »

I am 5'8 and weigh 153 pounds. .8 of my body weight would be 122 grams. Even meeting 100g, for me, is a struggle. On the days that I do meet or exceed 100g, I feel so stuffed that I want to throw up. :(

Because of your ovo-lacto nutrition plan, a lot of your protein comes with fiber included, and tends to be lower in fat. This contributes to you feeling fuller all the time, and also missing on the low side for calories.

Since you are looking to increase calories while maintaining or increasing your protein, you need to eat more and/or shift some of your carbs to fat ( which is 9 cal/g instead of 4 cal/g ).

To help you eat more, I would recommend lowering your fiber intake, which most days is over 2x more then RDA. An easy way you might do this is to switch your protein powered to some other type, since the hemp protein you are using is very high carb/fiber. Look into soy or pea protein, or find another brand/blend of the ones you are currently using. Your satiety level will go down, and you will generally want to eat more and feel less full.

To help you shift to fat / add calories, I would recommend you start using higher/full fat versions of what you're already eating, like your greek yogurt. Incorporate more of the nuts/nut butters you are already using, or try new ones. They tend to be very caloricaly dense for their volume. Since you're already using dairy, I'm gonna assume your not LI, so you may consider at least splitting milk duties between the almonds you already use, and the cow. Use a cream sauce with your rice noodles, instead of Soyaki all the time, add butter or cheese to your vegetables ...

The USDA recommends 0.8g/kg/day for protein, for the general public. For athletes their recommendation is anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7, depending on type. You'll get recommendations all over the place for how much you should or shouldn't try to eat from other sources.

I aim for 1g/kg baseline, with extra on workout days based on MFP calcs from logging exercise. 1g/kg puts me at ~20% of calories from protein, on a non training day.

At your weight, that would be ~ 70g/day baseline.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The USDA recommends 0.8g/kg/day for protein, for the general public. For athletes their recommendation is anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7, depending on type. You'll get recommendations all over the place for how much you should or shouldn't try to eat from other sources.

0.8 grams per day? that's it?

me thinks you're confused.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

No, she's right. .8g/kg/day is the recommended amount.

A lot of people here strive to get the max. They go for the number that is the highest that can do them any good. Some strive for even more than can do them any good. It maxes out around 1.7 or 1.8/kg/day.

But .8/kg/day is the recommended amount.

For the OP, that's about 56g/day.
  • ffbrown25
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »

Since you are looking to increase calories while maintaining or increasing your protein, you need to eat more and/or shift some of your carbs to fat ( which is 9 cal/g instead of 4 cal/g ).

To help you eat more, I would recommend lowering your fiber intake, which most days is over 2x more then RDA. An easy way you might do this is to switch your protein powered to some other type, since the hemp protein you are using is very high carb/fiber. Look into soy or pea protein, or find another brand/blend of the ones you are currently using. Your satiety level will go down, and you will generally want to eat more and feel less full.

To help you shift to fat / add calories, I would recommend you start using higher/full fat versions of what you're already eating, like your greek yogurt. Incorporate more of the nuts/nut butters you are already using, or try new ones. They tend to be very caloricaly dense for their volume. Since you're already using dairy, I'm gonna assume your not LI, so you may consider at least splitting milk duties between the almonds you already use, and the cow. Use a cream sauce with your rice noodles, instead of Soyaki all the time, add butter or cheese to your vegetables ...

This makes a whole lot of sense. I knew that having so much fiber in my diet was contributing to my feelings of fullness, but I'm really not willing to cut out the fruits and veggies I eat. It'd be very easy for me to switch protein powders, though, and buy full fat Greek yogurt. Thank you!
    pmm3437 wrote: »

I aim for 1g/kg baseline, with extra on workout days based on MFP calcs from logging exercise. 1g/kg puts me at ~20% of calories from protein, on a non training day.

At your weight, that would be ~ 70g/day baseline.

So are you saying that I only need 70g of protein a day? Or that I actually need more than the .8 multiplier I was using? Unsure if I qualify for the USDA's definition of an 'athlete,' although I am very active.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/268351-usda-recommendations-of-protein-in-diet/

Ive always found Livestrong to be accurate/reliable.

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/nutrition/art2059.html
    Here's another corroborating source.