Yet another noob question about cardio vs weight training.

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    igarcia13 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    igarcia13 wrote: »
    I think you have to do both, I've been weight training for 2 weeks and eating clean but I've only lost 2lbs. I have had compliments that I look like I've lost a lot of weight but my scale doesn't show it. On other occasions, doing only cardio has helped me lose about 2-3 lbs a week so now I've decided to do both weight training and cardio everyday. Hope that helps

ah no...actually don't have to do any exercise to lose weight..just calorie deficit.

and eating clean is what??? washing your food?

No need for rudeness and sarcasm, we're all here to help each other lose weight. Btw clean eating is eating unprocessed food, mostly fresh veggies, fruits, and lean protein.

A little sarcasm is healthy. :smile: Seriously, "clean" is not a term that should be applied to food beyond washing it. If you asked every person in here what their definition of "clean eating" is, most of it will differ from yours. I know mine does.

OP, if you don't like cardio, don't do it. I quite frankly love your attitude and your goals, partly because they align with mine and because they are so different from the usual we see around here. I started on MFP 4 years ago just wanting to "lose 15 pounds". It took me a few years to realize that what I really wanted to do was lose body fat. So I started lifting weights last May while eating only slightly under maintenance. The difference is amazing. I can wear the same clothes I was wearing when I was 10 pounds lighter a few years ago, the jiggle under my upper arms is gone and I'm much happier because I don't need to eat as little to support my size as I would if I had simply "lost weight" rather than losing fat.

By the way, I do run 3 or 4 days each week but I do it because I enjoy running (I loathed it 4 years ago!). If you're going to do cardio find something you enjoy and do it as much as you enjoy it, not more.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    <3 I love all of you (even the sarcastic ones!) I appreciate all the feedback and amazing advice. From what I gathered a little of both can be most beneficial, so I will try doing both, but I will focus more on weight training and building my strength. I used to love cardio, when I had my treadmill I used it every single day but I burned out. I still enjoy doing things outside, hiking, biking (even though I am so clumsy it's ridiculous) and swimming but I don't get the chance to do those all that often, especially in 95 degree weather. Earlier this year we bought the max trainer from bowflex .. the thing kills me but using it a couple times a week for the greater good can be done lol I really appreciate you guys, thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply to my questions :)

I ride about 80 miles per week...and we're generally approaching 100* plus...I've never let the weather interfere with my training.

You're amazing! I know I shouldn't let the weather effect my outside play time but between the temp AND the humidity I become a total grump when I've been outside too long when its this hot/humid lol I seriously HATE hot weather. I am much more active Fall-Spring. I should move somewhere like Alaska ... might be a better fit for me instead of TN lol

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You could try a "lift weights faster" approach. Gets your strength and conditioning in without boring cardio.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Cardio is so varied and feels so great, I don't know how you can't NOT do it. But, to each his (or her) own.

I'm doing more calisthenics and resistance bands - so far so good.

But don't ever take my cardio away.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's all about how much you eat, not about what kind of exercise you do.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    <3 I love all of you (even the sarcastic ones!) I appreciate all the feedback and amazing advice. From what I gathered a little of both can be most beneficial, so I will try doing both, but I will focus more on weight training and building my strength. I used to love cardio, when I had my treadmill I used it every single day but I burned out. I still enjoy doing things outside, hiking, biking (even though I am so clumsy it's ridiculous) and swimming but I don't get the chance to do those all that often, especially in 95 degree weather. Earlier this year we bought the max trainer from bowflex .. the thing kills me but using it a couple times a week for the greater good can be done lol I really appreciate you guys, thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply to my questions :)

I ride about 80 miles per week...and we're generally approaching 100* plus...I've never let the weather interfere with my training.

You're amazing! I know I shouldn't let the weather effect my outside play time but between the temp AND the humidity I become a total grump when I've been outside too long when its this hot/humid lol I seriously HATE hot weather. I am much more active Fall-Spring. I should move somewhere like Alaska ... might be a better fit for me instead of TN lol

Oh, geez, I certainly get this. I live in Tucson. It's HOT and in the summer it's hotter and a lot more humid. I shift my runs from afternoons in the winter to early mornings in the summer but most summer mornings it's already around 80° when I get up at 5:30 am. I've learned a few tricks such as wetting my t-shirt before (and for long runs, a few times during because it's dry after a mile and a half) a run and that really helps to keep me cooler but I don't know if it would work as well where the humidity is much higher than it is here.

My husband bought me one of those Enduracool things last week that was amazing when I used it on my run on Sunday. It's a tube of fabric that you wet and it's then about 20° cooler than the air around it. I simply wore it around my neck and occasionally pulled it up to wet my face because both get hot when I run. I highly recommend it!
  • kirstenkelly298
    kirstenkelly298 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am also a noob and trying to lose about 30 pounds. I cycle somewhere around 100 miles a week and I also do yoga 2-4 times a week. A question for everyone stating lifting will help you to not lose any muscle. Is 3 vinyasa yoga classes per week a good way to help prevent muscle loss? I am not really interested in lifting at this time, but I do enjoy yoga quite a bit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you enjoy yoga, keep going. it's a great stretch, and has some body weight movements, but it won't really help you not lose muscle... but it won't hurt either!! cycling 100 miles a week, doing your yoga, and watching what you eat will help you reach your goals though.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So weight lifting and cardio do different things. As many have pointed out, lifting is helps you retain LBM through your weight loss process, but cardio allows you to eat more during the day. Personally I think a combination is good because cardio works out your heart and lungs differently than weightlifting.

There are lots of types of cardio. Maybe you really do hate all of them. I hate treadmills and the elliptical. I LOVE racquetball and swimming. I SUCK at both but swimming is a good skill to have and racquetball helps me with eye hand coordination and balance. I also love Zumba because at my class it is like a huge party.

The bottom line is do what you love and what you can stick to, but also try new things because you might find a new love.