Binging after being very disciplined

Options
2»

Replies

• Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hmm at first, but it kinda goes away..I just try to make it better, like no french fries,but homemade potatoes with lil oil, spinachs, paprika,green beans and yeah stuff like that
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There may be a relationship between the "very disciplined" diet and the binge

This. If you are cutting too low or being too restrictive it can often cause you to lose it and overeat or to go way overboard when you do give yourself a day off or more relaxed day.

If I found this happening I'd look at my deficit -- as you are running too perhaps you need to be eating more? -- and also make sure I was enjoying my way of eating and eating food that satisfied me in general. Personally I try to be conscious of nutrition and focus on eating lots of nutrient-dense foods, but I also fit in extras, like cheese or ice cream, so long as I have the calories and have met my nutrition goals.

I also focus a lot on making the food I eat really tasty. I'm no less satisfied by my meals than before I watched my diet (probably more so, since one of my issues was eating thoughtlessly).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    plaffo786 wrote: »
    Great advice everyone thanks! Even the starting of a song lol
    Stuck to a 1200 cal limit with 500 cal worked off in running, really trying to get my weight down
    I'm using the macros and nutritional guide that is set here..... Should I change it?
    I don't eat over 1200 with the exercise is this a bad idea?
    Sorry if I seem a bit stupid new to this

Oh, I posted before I saw this.

MFP sets goals based on what you told it. For most women, unless you are quite heavy or quite tall, you will get 1200 if you say you want to lose 2 lb/week, but if you don't have a lot to lose that might be too aggressive. (On the other hand, depending on how tall you are and how close to goal you might get 1200 even with 1 lb/week if you say you are sedentary. I do. I don't if I say lightly active, though, which is more accurate for most people.)

More significant yet, MFP does not include exercise calories--the 1200 goal assumes NO exercise and therefore you are supposed to log exercise and eat it back (many people eat only some of it because many exercise counts are overstated). If you are eating 1200 and running about 5 miles/day, OF COURSE you are having issues, that's way too restrictive.

I'd eat back a good chunk of those calories. IME (I also run), the running estimates are pretty good. Back when I was actively losing weight and used to eat back exercise calories I ate back all of them from a 5-6 mile run or less. I'd eat back up to 75% of longer runs, although to some extent that depended on how hungry I was. I lost really well doing that and never felt like I was being restrictive or struggled with binging or cravings.
  • plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks lemurcat12 will take on board your advice some valuable points made everyone fingers crossed I break the habit, think getting rid of just thinking about pounds and look at how my body is changing is a thought process that needs to be engaged rather than the splurging
    Cheers everyone
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I just eat everything that I want in smaller portions. Has helped a lot