Caffeine fix without a ton of sugar/calories

Options
I'm a new mom of a 2 month old, I work 10 hour days, and my husband is deployed so I don't have help. I NEED caffeine to fibrin on normal human level. My problem is I don't like coffee unless it's 90% cream, energy drinks have way too much caffeine, and right now my caffeine fix is soda which just packs on calories and sugar. I am up to try something different with coffee it just can't contain dairy (my son gets sick when I eat it) but I'm okay using soy or almond milk.

Replies

• cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    What about tea?
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tea, milk, stevia. Lovely.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Guarana its a natural plant in the maple family. Might be pricey. Instant coffee with caffine sprinkle it over yogurt or berries or something
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Black tea
    Diet soda
    Black coffee with sugar free syrup- 5 calories and no sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    coffee, black...or maybe just a splash of milk or cream
  • sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You could buy some caffeine pills and cut them into 4ths. That would be about 50mg of caffeine, which is about as much as a small cup of coffee.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    studies have shown that most energy drinks have considerable less caffeine than an equal sized coffee.

personally, i love coffee. try a skinny/light latte made with skim milk. it's 120 calories, and only as much sugar as you like (i put in one splenda).
  • cmaksimik
    cmaksimik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Use Powdered Creamer. No fat no Carbs. Truvia for sweetner
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I second the caffeine pills, just be careful. I got whatever Walmart has & I used to take 1 whole tablet every morning (200mg...yeah not good). I cut back & I really don't take them anymore, but they worked! & like @sethwdyer said you can always cut them into smaller parts.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Over time, I have weaned myself down from 90% milk, 10% coffee to now drinking almost black coffee.

What helps me is to pre-measure the milk. I put it in jars that are designed for salad dressing--they have measurements and lids with pour spouts. When my budgeted milk (I generally use almond) for the day is gone, I am done.

Black tea with sweetener might work for you too.
  • meganlorance
    meganlorance Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't like tea unless it's 90% sugar. Coffee and tea are to bitter. I can't do any cream or regular milk. Any time I do my son gets sick,I'm breastfeeding.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Diet pop or caffeine pills, I suppose.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's almond milk seems to be the best, both on nutrition and price.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    diet soda
    coffee
    tea
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I don't like tea unless it's 90% sugar. Coffee and tea are to bitter. I can't do any cream or regular milk. Any time I do my son gets sick,I'm breastfeeding.

jeez, there aren't a lot of options then. figure out how to cut caffeine from your diet, keep drinking sodas, or learn to like coffee or tea.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love the crystal light energy drink packets. (Actually, to be honest, I like Walmart's great value generic brand even more!) One packet is 10 calories, 120 mg caffeine. The packets are made to be poured into a 16.9 oz water bottle, but I use them in my 32 oz water bottle. Keeps me hydrated, gives me a little bit of an extra kick, and satisfies my sweet tooth without going overboard.
    Good luck!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can take No-Doz. just make sure ur stomach isn't empty when u do.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Sleep and B12
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    V8 VFusion Energy. I drank them while I was pregnant and breastfeeding with no adverse reactions from the baby. It has 80mg of caffeine from green tea. Plus you get extra vitamins from the fruits and veggies in it. The peach mango is my favorite!
  • meganlorance
    meganlorance Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    chriscolh wrote: »
    I love the crystal light energy drink packets. (Actually, to be honest, I like Walmart's great value generic brand even more!) One packet is 10 calories, 120 mg caffeine. The packets are made to be poured into a 16.9 oz water bottle, but I use them in my 32 oz water bottle. Keeps me hydrated, gives me a little bit of an extra kick, and satisfies my sweet tooth without going overboard.
    Good luck!

Thank you I'll look for them when I go grocery shopping.