Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

Then you and people with this mentality are NOT who the OP is speaking of...he is speaking of the 'OMG I SWEAR I'm eating nothing at all ever, but I'm gaining weight' people.

Of course you can get by without and lose weight...but if you are, you are probably not posting on MFP how you aren't losing weight...and so this post isn't for (general) you :)

she :p haha and yes I am not speaking to people who don't use a scale and are doing just fine. I am speaking to the countless and countless of posts saying " eating like no food not losing" and then when people advise getting a scale they fight it. I could probably lose just fine without a scale if I cut out foods but I am not willing to do that.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

Then you and people with this mentality are NOT who the OP is speaking of...he is speaking of the 'OMG I SWEAR I'm eating nothing at all ever, but I'm gaining weight' people.

Of course you can get by without and lose weight...but if you are, you are probably not posting on MFP how you aren't losing weight...and so this post isn't for (general) you :)

I agree and it would be one of my first recommendations to anyone who was struggling to lose as well. But my post was in response to someone who didn't understand how people get by without a scale. There's lots of ways to go about managing your weight and it's helpful to realize that -- it allows you to be flexible when need be which is important for long term sustainability I think.

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not even 21 yet, and I still intend to continue being careful with my food and weighing it for the rest of my life. Once I reach my goal weight I may loosen up a little bit, but I'm putting a lot of hard work into getting there so why would I undo all that just because weighing my food takes a few extra minutes. Not to mention part of the reason I'm doing this is to set a good example for my future children, I don't want them to make the same mistakes I made, and I want them to grow up healthy and understanding portion size.
    "losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard."
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The video posted earlier in the thread was the eye opener for me that led to buying and using a scale.
    I realized that my "guess" of 2tbsp of peanut butter on my sandwich was actually more like 4-5. That adds up, especially with something like peanut butter! I was also severely under logging my meat and yogurt servings.
    I don't weigh every single thing I eat, but popping my cooked chicken onto the scale before eating it takes seconds and really has helped me log more accurately.

It is more of a reassurance thing for me, I know that this is for life, so I'm not going to be so strict I can't sustain it... But I also need to keep myself educated and make adjustments where needed to ensure success.
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    You can be sure that if I weren't getting results I would not be wondering why, I would be going straight to double check that my eyeballing sensor hasn't gone awry by measuring and weighing most of my food. I say most because I have never measured nor will I ever measure greens and most vegetables. Nobody got fat eating too much spinach.

Agree. Do what works. If it stops working, be scientific about it and look for where you can make positive changes. I don't have a food scale (yet), but I also believe that information is the most powerful weight loss tool.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes! I remember when you first started posting a couple months ago. Seems like you got it together! So glad for you!
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love weighing my foods. I love accuracy. Its actually my job as well so its like 2nd nature to me anyways. It doesnt take much time and honestly the time it does take is worth it. No regrets here, investing in my health.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I used a food scale years ago when I did Atkins. I've so far lost about 25 pounds total (10 of it pre-MFP) simply by eyeballing and intermittently measuring my food. I think weighing is fine, and if I wasn't getting consistent results without a scale, I would have bought one quite awhile ago.

I also know that the tendency (almost unconsciously) of many of us is to underestimate what we eat. So, I have always made it a practice to overestimate (round up) everything I eyeball or measure, and moreover, underestimate my exercise burn.

So, I end up losing.
  • brittanyneal2
    brittanyneal2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mfp and I've been thinking about getting a scale but I'm not sure how you weigh correctly. Today I ate squash and broccoli tossed in olive oil with salt, pepper and garlic salt roasted in the oven for lunch. How would I have weighed that? Raw? Cooked? All separate?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mfp and I've been thinking about getting a scale but I'm not sure how you weigh correctly. Today I ate squash and broccoli tossed in olive oil with salt, pepper and garlic salt roasted in the oven for lunch. How would I have weighed that? Raw? Cooked? All separate?

Weigh each ingredient separately raw.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,853 Member
    Options
    All individually before cooking. In particular high calorie items such as the oil (and finding an entry where the oil is in grams is always fun).

If you want to be (starts with a, err) thorough, about it, weigh the final product too in total before splitting it into portions.

I.e. 300g broccoli, 300g chicken. 300g onion, 300g carrots raw are 1000cal based on the entries in the database.

Cooked they yield 1000g product.

So if you eat 410g of finished product you know that it would be 410Cal

I get really ticked these days if things dive out of the pot after they've been weighed!!!!

All numbers random for illustration purposes.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    A scale is great, what would be even better is if all the foods in the database were in grams.

so true! buh. i end up measuring my food to equal the portion size on the package because i don't want to figure out the math (english major who barely passed 'math for decision making'...)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    A scale is great, what would be even better is if all the foods in the database were in grams.

so true! buh. i end up measuring my food to equal the portion size on the package because i don't want to figure out the math (english major who barely passed 'math for decision making'...)

Sometimes if you put Canada after the food name, the Canadian entry in grams will be in there.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    As a European, I still don't get 'measuring' food by volume. Cramming butter in a cup, seriously? Apart from me genuinely not understanding how that works, it seems a lot more hassle, and definitely more dirty dishes, than putting the butter package on the scale, taring and cutting off a piece. Even before I kept a food diary and weighed everything, I would generally use a kitchen scale if I cooked or baked something off a recipe (as opposed to just throwing stuff together).
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Weighing food is great if you're into it, and I've heard it can be quite effective. But I'm against marketing it as the cure-all solution to your diet.

Because if you're like me, you don't want to diet forever. And even though weighing your food for a few months sounds bearable, you're not willing to do it for the rest of your life. So instead, even though it's not as precise and you may eat slightly more or slightly less calories than you write down, you learn to control your portions yourself and make lifelong changes in the way you think about eating. You won't lose exactly one-and-three-quarters of a pound for week or whatever you planned, but once the weight comes off you're not so likely to gain it again because you went right back to not measuring and choosing your portions the way you did before.

Not that all measurers gain the weight back or all those who don't measure don't, that's naturally not true at all, but my argument is that there are pros and cons of both techniques and I don't think we should be telling people they are wrong for choosing one way or another.

Actually by weighing, I have gotten much better at learning the serving sizes of the foods I eat most. Now that I am in maintenance, I can eyeball most of my portions quite accurately, and test myself by double checking the weight occasionally. As long as I continue to maintain, it's all good. If I start to regain, I know that a brief stint of weighing my foods will help pinpoint where I am messing up my logging.

There is no wrong way, but if someone is truly stuck, but refuses to use a scale, then in my opinion, they are being stubborn.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yes! I remember when you first started posting a couple months ago. Seems like you got it together! So glad for you!

with the help of everyone i think i got it! I owe it all to all the advice even if i didn't really always want to hear it!
  • fishshark
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    All individually before cooking. In particular high calorie items such as the oil (and finding an entry where the oil is in grams is always fun).

If you want to be (starts with a, err) thorough, about it, weigh the final product too in total before splitting it into portions.

I.e. 300g broccoli, 300g chicken. 300g onion, 300g carrots raw are 1000cal based on the entries in the database.

I get really ticked these days if things dive out of the pot after they've been weighed!!!!

this seriously changed my life. I was like ok so I'm making lasagna how am I going to know what my little portion is. everyone should know this!
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

this seriously changed my life. I was like ok so I'm making lasagna how am I going to know what my little portion is. everyone should know this!
    Make sure you weigh the dish its going in before u fill it up so u can subtract that weight without having to dirty another pan just to weigh the finished food. I forget sometimes and am really mad at myself when I have to transfer it all out of whatever I cooked it in. I hate washing dishes!

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Make sure you weigh the dish its going in before u fill it up so u can subtract that weight without having to dirty another pan just to weigh the finished food. I forget sometimes and am really mad at myself when I have to transfer it all out of whatever I cooked it in. I hate washing dishes!

I have a list on my phone with the weight of all my pots and pans because I always forget to weigh them when I cook.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I have a list on my phone with the weight of all my pots and pans because I always forget to weigh them when I cook.

Brilliant, I never thought to put a list of those on my phone!