for those of you who don't like to hear "buy a scale and weigh"

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
Please listen to the people who are telling you that. The people telling you this have experience and have been through something you are starting with and/or struggling with.
I myself was pretty hesitant to weigh my food (and I even had a scale already) I mean screw that its gonna take up soon much time I can't be bothered with that. Well I can't be bothered with being fat so I guess pick your poison? I don't have much weigh to lose (15-20 lbs) so because of that my deficit is small and needs to be precise. About 3 weeks ago I began to weigh things and it changed my life. I steadily lose, get to eat WHATEVER I WANT TO EAT, and now I'm actually pretty obsessed with weighing. There is also this magical button called "tare" so you don't need to ever weigh things separately... even making a sandwich takes the same amount of time.
Listen to these people and if you really want to lose is weighing food really to much to handle? If so then you are not ready.
Appreciate the advice, take the advice, listen... they are right and you are wrong. Why? Well their weight loss is proof enough for me.

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like weighing my food. I feel like a scientist.

(I'm being silly. It is fun for me though!)
  • lilialley
    lilialley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You're right! It kind of sucks to weigh everything when you're cooking a more complicated recipe, though.
  • fishshark
    Options

me too. I get excited when I get it right too. Today i perfectly got 50 grams of banana and cut exactly 3 oz of chicken breast last night. Its like a victory haha!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Please listen to the people who are telling you that. The people telling you this have experience and have been through something you are starting with and/or struggling with.
    I myself was pretty hesitant to weigh my food (and I even had a scale already) I mean screw that its gonna take up soon much time I can't be bothered with that. Well I can't be bothered with being fat so I guess pick your poison? I don't have much weigh to lose (15-20 lbs) so because of that my deficit is small and needs to be precise. About 3 weeks ago I began to weigh things and it changed my life. I steadily lose, get to eat WHATEVER I WANT TO EAT, and now I'm actually pretty obsessed with weighing. There is also this magical button called "tare" so you don't need to ever weigh things separately... even making a sandwich takes the same amount of time.
    Listen to these people and if you really want to lose is weighing food really to much to handle? If so then you are not ready.
    Appreciate the advice, take the advice, listen... they are right and you are wrong. Why? Well their weight loss is proof enough for me.

Game changer. Once I learned that function it made weighing my food so easy; no reason not to do it!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I NEED to know that I am eating the correct portions and once I started, I can't stop ~ weighing food and losing weight that is :mrgreen:
  • fishshark
    Options
    I NEED to know that I am eating the correct portions and once I started, I can't stop ~ weighing food and losing weight that is :mrgreen:

Its funny because once you do it... then you literally have to know how much you are eating overtime you eat haha!
  • fishshark
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

Game changer. Once I learned that function it made weighing my food so easy; no reason not to do it!

right? I was like omg its gonna take forever to figure out this stew or lasagna.. then I'm like oh yea duh.. the tare button. haha
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Weighing food is like a runners high for me, love it. Sadly my scale broke and I haven't found one I really like yet.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You have been assimilated. :)

iyj27jwq09k1.jpg
  • Noraming
    Noraming Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is the name of the scale you use?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Do you sing the song, too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDN7M0J3HXc
  • fishshark
    Options
    Noraming wrote: »
    What is the name of the scale you use?

the brand is Taylor... I didn't buy it though I randomly found it when we were moving. Score!
  • fishshark
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    You have been assimilated. :)

iyj27jwq09k1.jpg

hhaha!! :D
  • fishshark
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Do you sing the song, too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDN7M0J3HXc

he's the only reason I made it through elementary school I'm pretty sure. I lived for the days we watched his show!
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd go so far as to specifically say - get a digital scale. I had a spring loaded scale for a while and the differences between the two was about 10%. Think about the last few kilos that can't be shifted - do they add up to about 10% of your current body weight? The price of my scale was about $10 excluding the batteries - be sure to get a scale that takes cheaper sized and more available batteries if you can.

Also, if you don't have a 'tare' function, you can leave an empty bowl on the scale before you power it up, it should then auto calibrate with the bowl to 0g. Anything you add after that is ingredient weight.

It is true that a digital scale is a game changer, I never believed it before.

Good luck.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It can be a little bit of a pain at first, but I am glad I got into the habit as soon as I started MFP, instead of wondering why I'm not getting results weeks later.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale. All my meat is weighed in oz. and I don't understand how some people log say...chicken breast without a weight. I am constantly getting my scale out. I weigh fruit, dressings, peanut butter, meats. I even weighed out the bacon bits I put on my salad yesterday.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. I think it's easier to use than measuring cups.
    A few months after joining MFP and frequenting the forums, I decided if I was going to commit to calorie counting I might as well be as accurate as I could about it. I hadn't stalled or anything, but I had seen a lot of threads from people who had. The thought that I might be able to prevent long stalls in weight loss (long stall = 6 + weeks to me) was all it took to get me to buy one. I was already doing one thing I thought I'd never do (counting calories); might as well add another. Needless to say I have yet to have a long stall. :drinker:
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I get by without a scale, but I acknowledge that means I'm likely underestimating my consumption. That's over of the reasons I only east back around 50% of my exercise calories (I use a Surge, so exercise burn is pretty accurate).

What I do do to help estimate my weights is look at the serving weights on the package and then divide it. 500g of chicken breast, 3 people eating it in roughly equal portions, then I'll call that 170g.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my digital Scale I can now "eyeball" a perfect tbsp of butter (14g). I know, cuz I weigh it to test my accuracy. It's like a game