Home lifters...

Options
bubaluboo
bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
Just curious..,

a) What gear do you have?
b) Which room do you use?
c) How do you store it? Is it out all the time?
d) What would you like to have that you don't already?

a) I've just started lifting so I have a very modest kit of a bench, adjustable dumbbells that go up to 10 kg each and then some fixed weight 9kg and 25kg dumbells that I inherited. I'm just on the adjustables at the moment because I'm puny but hope to grow out of those.
b) living room
c) spare room...a pain to get it all out every time but I guess it helps warm up. Ideally will sort out spare room so that I have enough space to lift in there.
d) A barbell, more dumbbell weights and a pull up bar (where to put it though).

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    a) Bench, barbell, plates, adjustable dumbbells that take plates.
    b) Spare bedroom.
    c) It's out all the time.
    d) Squat rack of some sort. I don't really have room for it, so for now, I do barbell hack squats. Seems to get the job done well enough.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    a) Squat rack, barbell, 120kg rubber weights, selectabells, dumbell bench, barbell bench
    b) The garage!
    c) It's out all the time but there is the battle with the other garage items on occasion!
    d) EZ bar, step and more mats!
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Wow! I feel so undergeared! It's good to get a bit of gear envy going though...it'll spur me on to make the gains that I feel I need to before I can justify upgrading.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    We got a very good deal from Powerhouse fitness (I see you're from the UK so have a look) and got all that minus the dumbell bench and the selectabells for £750. We went in and negotiated the price further than the site says, but I think they would do it over the phone too if there isn't one near you. Having invested definitely makes me go more, it has been paid for so I'm going to use it!
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Thanks Chloe, I see you're just down the road in Shipley! I haven't heard of Powerhouse fitness..off to Google! Having bought and not used quite a few fitness items in the past, I am being cautious, making sure that I stick with it while it's a hassle and then I'll convince myself and my husband that it's worth the investment and space. Maybe see how I go until Christmas (perhaps I'll need to buy a few extra plates before then) and then bring out my gift list :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    a) barbell and dumbbell handles, plates, squat stands, safeties, bench, some sort of universal gym that I use for lat pulldowns, treadmill, exercise ball, bands, pull up bar
    b) basement
    c) it's mostly out but I try to tidy up regularly since our freezer, furnace, water tank, etc are in the same area
    d) aerobic steps for hip thrusts. I use an old ottomans that is starting to break down for those. An ez curl bar and better pull up bar would be nice too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Just curious..,

a) Power rack, barbell, bench, plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, farmer's bars, med balls, landmine, t-bar handle

b) I'm currently occupying a corner in someone else's garage workshop until I get a house with my own garage (if that ever happens...)

c) Yeah, it's there all the time, but I have everything non-powerrack stacked neatly away (hand weights on shelves, etc.) because I don't want to become too much of a pain in the *kitten* and have to find a new place for my gear.

d) GHR, reverse hyper, decent weighted vest, chains, some heavier dumbbells (or some oly dumbbell handles) + more room to get my other stuff out of storage and set it up for use (heavy kick bag, wooden dummy, kung fu weapons, etc) and room to build an oly platform.
  • lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    a. power rack, standard barbell, weight plates, "short" barbell, adjustable dumbbells, TRX band, punching bag, flat bench
    b. basement
    c. always out
    d. more mats, a shorter bench for hip thrusts, 45 lb plates
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Thanks for your replies..I think I'm going to have to ask google about some of those items! Now there are a couple more q's that I wish I'd asked..

e) what could you lose from your kit?
    f) do you follow a prescribed routine (if so what) or devise your own?

Forgive my nosiness but it all helps to motivate and inspire :smile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies..I think I'm going to have to ask google about some of those items! Now there are a couple more q's that I wish I'd asked..

e) what could you lose from your kit?
    f) do you follow a prescribed routine (if so what) or devise your own?

Forgive my nosiness but it all helps to motivate and inspire :smile:

e) nothing.

f) Currently Wendler's 5/3/1. Although, the sets/reps for the main work are prescribed, the assistance template is up for grabs based on your goals and current weaknesses/needs.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've got a rack from Rogue Fitness set up in my garage, in its own special corner. It has gymnast rings and a punching bag hanging from it, and a bench/bar spot.

I'd like a proper bumper plate set, but the kids take all my discretionary funds somehow. A stationary bike would be nice for sprints on bad weather days as well.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    I've got a rack from Rogue Fitness set up in my garage, in its own special corner. It has gymnast rings and a punching bag hanging from it, and a bench/bar spot.

I'd like a proper bumper plate set, but the kids take all my discretionary funds somehow. A stationary bike would be nice for sprints on bad weather days as well.

Gymnast rings? Want. Not that I know how to use them, but would like to! Bumper plates would be nice too.

e) pull up bar because the rack has one, but nothing else
    f) I use the app 'Fitness Buddy' and use the workouts on there, I started on Strong Lifts though and really liked it but prefer the app because it has really good variation and accessory lifts which have helped me improve a lot
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    e) I can't think of anything I want to get rid of. I could get rid of the universal gym and just use assistance bands on the pull up bar rather than the lat pulldown but I'd prefer not to do that.
    f) I do Wendler's 5/3/1 and add glute-specific exercises as assistance lifts.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    e) I wish I bought a better bench. I bought a cheap one and the upright posts are just a smidge too narrow.

f) mostly based on Stronglifts, but I don't increase weight quite as much or as often. I had a back injury last summer and I'm very cautious.
  • sarabucknam
    sarabucknam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) Select Tech dumbbells, curl bar, barbell, stability ball, chin-up bar
    2) corner of my bedroom
    3) all my equipment is out all the time
    4) would love a bench, but don't have room for it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I powerlift at the house and go to the gym for accessory work and cardio or just more lifting.
    1 full cage w pull up and dip bar attachments and bench
    1 olympic barbell, curl bar
    500lbs of olympic plates
    lockjaw collars
    gymnastic rings
    bands
    Keep it all in the back yard. Cover it during weather.

D. outdoor rock wall :smiley:
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    a) Half rack, barbells, bumpers, 2 benches 1 w/leg attachment, PowerBlocks, lat pulldown, elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, dumbbells, TRX, lifting platform, pullup bar
    b) Basement
    c) All out
    d) Taller ceiling :smile:, GHD
    e) could lose 1 bench but wife won't let me
    f)5/3/1 Boring But Big
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    I'm getting the impression that people that are serious about lifting at home have at least a barbell and keep their gym set up. Hopefully today, I'll have a room that I can keep my stuff out in but lots to do for that to happen!
  • Cup_
    Cup_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TDS Power squat cage with chin-up bar and small (separate) bench
    Gold's Gym Power Series bench press with leg and arm attachment
    CAP barbell EZ Curl biceps/forearm bar 47"
    CAP barbell triceps bar 34"
    Perfect Pull-up strap bar attachment for hanging leg raises to kill those abs
    Get RX'D Butt Saver sit-up pad to prevent butt cherries (lol)
    FreeMotion incline treadmill -goes up to 40% incline
    335 lbs of olympic plates
    Kettlebells
    Dumbbells
    Two olympic bars

I have designated a spare bedroom for everything but the treadmill (it's out in the living room where I can watch back to back episodes of my fav shows to make cardio pass quickly). And it's out all of the time.

If you are wondering why I have so many bars, some came with the husband lol along with a few pieces of equipment. Most of the equipment I bartered for, and a few I snagged off CL. I just bartered for more plates and will be picking up this week. Pretty happy with my set-up!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Just curious..,

a) I've just started lifting so I have a very modest kit of a bench, adjustable dumbbells that go up to 10 kg each and then some fixed weight 9kg and 25kg dumbells that I inherited. I'm just on the adjustables at the moment because I'm puny but hope to grow out of those.
    b) living room
    c) spare room...a pain to get it all out every time but I guess it helps warm up. Ideally will sort out spare room so that I have enough space to lift in there.
    d) A barbell, more dumbbell weights and a pull up bar (where to put it though).

A. Power rack, two Olympic bars, 400-450 lbs of plates, bench, Dumbbells from 5lbs to 40lbs, 30lb kettlebell, dumbbell rack, plate tree, treadmill and elliptical.

B. Racks, weights and treadmill are in my basement. Elliptical is in my bedroom.

C. My equipment is out all the time. Of course, the plates and Dumbbells are always put away on their respective racks.

D. I would like another set of 45 lb plates, a nicer power rack with a lat pull down attachment , and a 50 lb kettlebell.