Home lifters...

Options
2»

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    a) Power rack, bench, two olympic bars, safety squat bar, olympic size dumb bell handles, 1 1/2" dumb bell handles, various bands, belts, wraps, knee sleeves, plate tree, sling shot and about 800lbs in plates
    b)Everything is set up in my basement
    c) It's always out as we have a large platform built from three layers of plywood and stall mats
    d) I would like a zercher harness, a rack that accommodates bands and a competition rack and plates

Now that I've written it down, I've realized I have a lot of stuff. The rack, texas pl bar and plates I bought in 2009 to first build my gym in my garage. I spent $400 on the rack/bar and $100 on 700lbs in plates. Best deal ever. You just have to know people.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    a) set of weights and stationary bike
    b) my bed room (so the kids don't play with it)
    c) the bike is always out but we have a decorative room divider to hide it and the weights are under my decorative chairs in my room.
    d) Would love a TRX but no place to hide it that looks nice.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    a. Dumbbells 5-40 lbs, TRX, pull up bar, battle rope, medicine balls, step up, ankle weights,Bulgarian bag.

b. Turned the study into a workout room with 2in. wall to wall mat.

c. TRX is installed in ceiling in corner, all other equip is kept in the closet (took doors off)

d. Need barbell

I do weight training, crossfit like workouts and TRX
    You really don't need a huge set up. Look up dumbbell only full body workouts.

Good luck!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    a) Power rack with pull up bar, barbell, plates, plate tree, bench, adjustable dumbbells, resistance bands, aerobic steps, stationary bike, yoga mat
    b) Guest room
    c) Out all the time
    d) Kettlebells
    e) Probably the exercise bike but I use it occasionally
    f) I did AllPros for a year, then started working with a personal trainer/coach who wrote a program for me
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies..I think I'm going to have to ask google about some of those items! Now there are a couple more q's that I wish I'd asked..

e) what could you lose from your kit?
    f) do you follow a prescribed routine (if so what) or devise your own?

Forgive my nosiness but it all helps to motivate and inspire :smile:

e.) The only thing I would get rid of is one of the cheap chrome bars
    f.) I follow a training cycle of my own making based on prilipin's chart and years of experience with what works best for me.
  • Karozel7
    Karozel7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a bench, some aerobics steps, olympic barbell, smaller (15lb. barbell), adjustable dumbbells, pullup bar, and I also have a stationary bike.

I have a spare bedroom where I keep them all and they are out all of the time. I rarely use the bench, I use the aerobics step for doing my bench presses, because it's easier to get out from under the bar if I fail. I used to have a treadmill and I miss it, but I have some foot problem, and the bike is easier on them.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    a) What gear do you have?

Treadmill, power rack with pull-up bar and lat attachment, standard bar, dumbbell handles, a modest collection of plates, a short aerobic step, homemade 16" step, exercise ball, yoga mat

b) Which room do you use? All the weight equipment is in a small room in the basement. The treadmill is in the family room in the basement.

c) How do you store it? Is it out all the time?

Out all the time.

d) What would you like to have that you don't already?

A bench and a weight room I don't have to share with the cat litter boxes

I have some Pure Barre videos I did a few times before getting into heavy lifting. I have been meaning to eBay those...

Currently doing NROL4W
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    a) Full cage - Dick's Sporting Goods
    Olympic barbell - Academy
    Olympic weights ~700lbs - craigs list and Academy
    dumbbells - fixed and 1" adjustable
    resistance bands
    GHD
    Pull-up bar
    Jungle Gym XT suspension trainer

b) Garage
    c) I have given up my parking space in the garage for my gym area, so out all the time
    d) Bumper plates and lifting platform
    e) Nothing, I use it all!
    f) Yes, combination of LRB template and LRB365 from Lift-run-Bang
  • LynGrahamKemp
    LynGrahamKemp Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A - Bench with 1 barbell & 3 EZ bars, weight plates, boxing bag and gloves, parallel station for dips, pull-up, & abs, treadmill, kettlebells, Dumbbells, & homemade medicine ball & TRX straps

B - Garage
    C - Always out
    D - I'd love a full cage from Rogue along with an Olympic bar and bumper plates
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out at home it has to be convenient. The equipment needs to be accessible all the time, if you have to dig it out and put it away every time it will get old really fast and the likelihood of stay with a program will be greatly reduced.

A good starter program is Strong Lifts 5x5. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You should also read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". I hear it's a great book and many people on MFP recommend it. Do your research before you start.

Also, you can buy good used equipment on Craigslist for a lot less than the cost of new. Then even if you don't use it you can sell it for basically the same money you purchased it for.

The basics are a:

Bench
    Barbell and weights
    Rack (not absolute but extremely helpful)

Good luck!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Just curious..,
    a) What gear do you have?
    b) Which room do you use?
    c) How do you store it? Is it out all the time?
    d) What would you like to have that you don't already?

a) Bench with squat rack and preachers curl, standard bar with 240lb of plates (maybe more), a handful of dumbbells ranging from 2lb to 30lb, and a pull up bar. I also have dumbbells that take plates, but rarely use them.
    b) The basement
    c) it is always out
    d) I want a full cage and Olympic weights to essentially replace what I have now. Tonight I'm going to squat 220lb (so 205lb of plates) and the bar can't handle much more weight. That, and I can't push myself to failure without having spotters.
    bubaluboo wrote:
    e) the things my wife has bought that no one uses (ankle weights, body weights), that I didn't think about until I saw this question
    f) Strong Lifts 5x5 for now. I'm getting back into weight lifting after ~11 years of not lifting. I was never super strong, but I was stronger than any of the other teens I knew. Had I followed a proper program I would have been in much better shape back then.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    a) FID bench, squat stands, olympic barbell set (300lb? of plates), 2 sets of 40lb adjustable dumbbells (which was how I progressed before the barbell) + some other random dumbbells, couple hand weights, pullup bar, spin bike, ab roller, foam roller, foam flooring

b) basement/laundry room. its a tiny space, 6' high (luckily, I'm only 5'3") and I can't pivot my barbell in any direction without hitting either the water heater, the dryer, or the window!

c) I opted for squat stands (instead of a cage or rack) and a light bench because I'm constantly moving everything to make room, but they're always out, just smooshed into the corner sometimes. It was also a LOT cheaper than finding some specialty rack that would fit a 6' ceiling.

d) Not much room for anything else, but a speed bag would be awesome

e) I use everything every week, but the spin bike has the worst usefulness:floor space ratio. Plus, spin bike HIIT is a pain. The ab roller seems silly, but its a pretty good exercise!

f) I follow a routine of my own derived mostly from Michael Matthews' "Bigger Leaner Stronger"/"Thinner Leaner Stronger" books