Question: 1200 calories a day???

Options
2»

Replies

• myweightloss2016
    myweightloss2016 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Didn't see the last posts.. thank you all!
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25 lbs on 1200 calories. I'm also really short, though, as in MFP originally set me to 1100 calories and I just needed a little wiggle room.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to lose on much less than 1200 because I have hypothyroidism. I do eat back a portion of my exercise calories and am not usually hungry. I have lost 45 pounds in a little over a year.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Maybe this question has been askes a 1000 times already, but that doesn't keep me from asking it once again :)
    Have any of you had a succes with a 1200 calorie diet? I just have some questions.

1. How much did you lose?
    2. Did you find it hard to keep to the 1200? What did you eat mostly?
    3. Did you just eat whatever you like as long as it was under 1200 total, or did you eg eat a lot of protein/fat etc.
    4. How long did it take you to start seeing a difference/to start losing? Did you lose half 1 pound a week or 2 pounds?
    5. Did you eat calories back?
    6. Would you recommend it?

I'm thinking of starting this myself.. I'm 176 cm long and I want to lose about 10 kilograms (approx 22 LBS)
    I would like to lose 1-2 LBS per week..
    I'm still struggling to find something that works for me, so that's why I am asking these questions!
    It would be really nice if you would help me out.. :)

xx

I was on a 'net 1250 cal/day' diet for the first 4 months (mid-Feb to mid-June).

1. 15 kg.
    2. It was quite easy to remain within my net 1250 cal/day. I ate a wide variety of food. More variety than before I went on the diet.
    3. I ate whatever I liked. But I did discover that certain foods had more staying-power than others.
    4. It was 10 days before I started losing, then I lost approx. 1 kg/week.
    5. I ate approximately half my exercise calories. That really helped with the net 1250 cal idea. I exercise every day so I rarely ate just 1250 cal.
    6. Absolutely.

Then I took a break for about a month, and resumed on a net 1350 cal diet ... and have lost an additional 4 kg since. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Didn't see the last posts.. thank you all!

So it has been about 6 weeks ... how has it gone?

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    1. How much did you lose?
    I lost 25lbs on a 1200 calorie plan plus exercise which I didn't eat back..

2. Did you find it hard to keep to the 1200? What did you eat mostly?#
    I found it INCREDIBLY hard but I managed it. I ate lots of soups and fish.

3. Did you just eat whatever you like as long as it was under 1200 total, or did you eg eat a lot of protein/fat etc.
    I didn't pay attention to the macro's. I just made sure I was eating 1200 per day.

4. How long did it take you to start seeing a difference/to start losing? Did you lose half 1 pound a week or 2 pounds?
    I consistently lost 2lbs per week

5. Did you eat calories back?
    No

6. Would you recommend it?
    No. Because it isn't necessary. You can lose a good amount of weight eating a good amount MORE than that. 1200 is depriving - for me.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1. I lost 70 pounds.

2. Yes, it was horrible. I cried some afternoons when I was so hungry, particularly in the winter when I was also cold. I ate the same thing every day until I could not eat it and then ate something else. I will never eat broccoli again. Or tuna fish. Mostly I ate baked skinless chicken breasts and frozen mixed vegetables with ramen noodles or rice with a tablespoon of diet margarine. Greek yogurt. Oatmeal. Boiled eggs. Bland foods worked best for me.

3. I didn't pay any attention to macros. I could not eat anything I like because I'd eat too much of some of it. I could not keep bread, ice cream, or peanut butter in the house, for example.

4. I lost half a pound a week. I saw a difference almost immediately. I had a massive belly which went down fast.

5. I did not eat calories back. I didn't exercise much - I was very sick the first time I lost the weight and the powerful meds had awful side effects.

6. I wouldn't recommend it. This time I'm able to exercise and I'm eating back about 25% of the calories. I'm much more comfortable and still losing weight but don't think I could manage again on just 1200.

You probably don't have to eat that little in order to lose weight. At my height, my weight and my age, no calorie counter I've checked gives me a daily calorie limit above 1200 for even half a pound a week. I still can't do it without offsetting it with exercise calories.
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started three weeks ago with a 1200 calorie limit. My goal is to loose 20# and learn what I need to eat to stay there. I've been well under my 1200 calories a day. You can read my general. I eat high protien meats and fresh vegis or fruit. My first week taught me a lot by looking back on my fat, carbs, protien. I do not eat back my calories and I'm not hungry. I also drink 1 gallon of water a day and boot camp three times a week and try to get in a couple of days of 2 mile walk jog with my dog. In two weeks I've lost 5#. YOU CAN TO