Discouraged by weight loss study

Options

Replies

• Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Take heart! None of those studies says that no one can lose weight and keep it off. I never aim to be 'most people', and this is no different. I have made diet and fitness changes that I know I can live with long term - you just need to look at the real science of nutrition and fitness, choose the changes you can stick with, and be your own person!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bsctov wrote: »
    I just read the scientific study (reported by most major news outlets) that says it's next to impossible for people who are overweight to maintain their weight loss long term, this has really dashed my hopes of looking good again..

i lost 90lbs in total, i've maintained around 200 for the last 2 years now, hasn't been difficult to maintain at all.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This one? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3164042/Majority-people-pile-pounds-never-lose-them.html

OK, as a medical provider (PA), and one who used to work specifically in preventative medicine and wellness, it's a terrible article as those numbers (only one in 210 obese men and one in 124 obese women achieving successful weight loss) only counted people as successful in the first place if they achieved a BMI under 25 and maintained it there permanently.

First thing to note is that while BMI is a useful and very accurate tool for measuring the health risks of populations, it is not necessarily applicable to individuals, you need to figure out what is an appropriate weight for you based on your individual body composition and it may be either lower or higher than the recommended limits.

Also health risk rates are not a straight line, at 25.1 you don't magically become super prone to weight related morbidity and mortality, the increased risks tend to be negligible (again as measured across populations) until you reach 30, where they start to increase much more rapidly, the reason this is the cut off for obesity as opposed to simple overweight. So reducing your BMI from say a 34 to a 29, and maintaining that weight loss is very successful dieting from a healthcare point of view, but would not have been counted at all under this headline.

You would also be considered "unsuccessful", if you had a 50 pound weight loss that got you down to say, a 24.9 (meeting their definition for success) but gained back 5 of it and went to maintaining, say, a 25.5 (their definition for "putting it back on", while sane folks (and your PCP) would likely consider this a major success.

Yes, folks who lose weight often regain it, lifestyle changes can be difficult to maintain, particularly for those of us who are emotional eaters. So what? Do we tell smokers to keep smoking because they will probably have to quit multiple times before it sticks permanently? If you fall down, get up and try again,

I lost 50 pounds, maintained that weight within a 4 pound range for 5 years (though my BMI fluctuated between just under 25 and 25 and a bit then, so it probably doesn't count, sigh) and then regained about 80% of it since 2010, half of that in the last year. I'm still better off than I was (and in much better health regardless of the weight because the exercise habits stuck even when the eating ones didn't) and now I'm on my way back in the right direction because I know I feel better when I eat right and am carrying less weight around. So on the whole I have benefited even if I didn't meet their ridiculous standard.

Weight losses of only 10% of body weight are frequently adequate to make a significant difference in underlying health issues (particularly Type II DM), so don't give up based on a questionable study conflated with really bad reporting.

The daily mail speak absolute crap all the time - really . If it says anything in this paper just assume the other side of the story is right and you will be right 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time they have messed up and actually printed the truth by mistake
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Most people fail at any self improvement effort

Drugs, alcohol, weight, even higher education

It is easier to quit....

So what?

If you want it you will work for it. Study be damned.

The common element to success is often a profound personality shift on how we view the issue. It takes a lifetime change,

Still at the end of the day, you choose which one you are. Do you succeed or fail with a study as soft landing pad.

I believe we can.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I intend to log my food and exercise for the rest of my life. Why not? The alternative is misery.
    I happily maintain at 1800 cals a day. Eat well, make myself burn 600 cals on machines. I don't see any reason to stop as I feel terrific!
    I have been maintaining for over 18 months. Weigh twice a week. Count every cal.
    I'm worth it!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ive always been a gambling woman challenge accepted
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I just read the scientific study (reported by most major news outlets) that says it's next to impossible for people who are overweight to maintain their weight loss long term, this has really dashed my hopes of looking good again..

I don't have time to read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has come up before, but here it goes: the most recent study that has been getting all the press included a large sample of patients in the UK's National Health Service. It tracked their weights/BMIs. But it included everyone, not just people who were trying to lose weight. It's great evidence that the modern western culture and diet encourages being overweight, but the journalists who are spinning it as "proof" that weight loss is nearly "impossible" are either stupid or venal.

This comment on Reddit's /r/loseit sub goes into more detail.
  • Supersallysunshine
    Supersallysunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 227lbs currently, I highly doubt I will ever be at my ideal weight (according to doctor). I think I can make it to 175 or so... doing this will drastically change my health and wellness. I am sure fewer overweight people maintain the ideal BMI, but that may not be their measure of success. I want to feel good, look better and live longer then I would at my current weight. Any weight I loose will help me achieve that, so I think I can be successful, just not in this studies eyes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    "Research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y. The National Weight Control Registry provides information about the strategies used by successful weight loss maintainers to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss. National Weight Control Registry members have lost an average of 33 kg and maintained the loss for more than 5 y. To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity (≈1 h/d), eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet, eating breakfast regularly, self-monitoring weight, and maintaining a consistent eating pattern across weekdays and weekends. Moreover, weight loss maintenance may get easier over time; after individuals have successfully maintained their weight loss for 2–5 y, the chance of longer-term success greatly increases."
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long

Well, I lost 22% of my BW and have maintained within a 2 lb range from my lowest (so a 1 lb swing either way from my target maintenance weight) for 5 months. I refuse to think that it is inevitable that I will regain... if I do, it will not be because it was inevitable, it will be because I stopped paying attention or caring.

Or, maybe because you got injured or sick or pregnant. I wonder if those eventualities were accounted for in the study
    Which sickness or injury prevents one from adjusting their caloric intake if their weight is going in a direction they don't want it to?
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on some new statistics. The National Weight Control Registry tracks habits and data from people who lost weight and have kept it off over 5 years. Be one of their statistics! It can be done.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    "Research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y. The National Weight Control Registry provides information about the strategies used by successful weight loss maintainers to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss. National Weight Control Registry members have lost an average of 33 kg and maintained the loss for more than 5 y. To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity (≈1 h/d), eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet, eating breakfast regularly, self-monitoring weight, and maintaining a consistent eating pattern across weekdays and weekends. Moreover, weight loss maintenance may get easier over time; after individuals have successfully maintained their weight loss for 2–5 y, the chance of longer-term success greatly increases."

Well, I lost 22% of my BW and have maintained within a 2 lb range from my lowest (so a 1 lb swing either way from my target maintenance weight) for 5 months. I refuse to think that it is inevitable that I will regain... if I do, it will not be because it was inevitable, it will be because I stopped paying attention or caring.

Or, maybe because you got injured or sick or pregnant. I wonder if those eventualities were accounted for in the study
    Which sickness or injury prevents one from adjusting their caloric intake if their weight is going in a direction they don't want it to?

Obviously the immediate mechanism is always CICO. It is always about eating too much.

Practically speaking, many illnesses and injuries are accompanied by depression, which obviously can affect motivation.

Few people are excellent at predicting their future behaviour, and we often surprise ourselves by our responses to surprises like that.

I hope everyone loses weight and keeps it off indefinitely, but you just never know. Certainly it's easy enough to get back on track if you do get thrown, once you know what to do
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

First of all this is the maint forum. If you are just starting try GETTING STARTED seciton.

Having that said, to have your 'hopes' dashed by one study seems like you're just not quite mentally ready to get healthy. From my years in R&D I've learned that for every one study to prove X is true I can find at least # studies to counter. It's just folly to take the results of one study as gospel.

There are over 10,000 registered members with the National Weight Control Registry which contradicts whatever article OP is referencing. The criteria to register is:
    "The registry is composed of approximately 80% women. The “average” female participant is 45 years old and currently 145 pounds while the average man is 49 years old and 190 pounds. On average, registry members have lost about 70 pounds and kept it off for five and a half years when joining the registry. However, within the study there is great variation in age, weight loss speed and duration, and amount of weight lost."
    SOURCE

SO obviously long term maint does in fact happen, continue to happen, and is entirely based on the individual. Perhaps instead of using one study as a deterrent maybe Google studies that's supportive & helpful. Ck out this one from long term maintainers: HERE

Best of luck to you!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should read this take on the "study" http://www.weightymatters.ca/2015/07/new-obesity-study-from-annals-of.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

That's hardly news. This has been proved by statistics many times. But that doesn't mean you can't be one of those that beats the odds. Or that when you start to regain you can't nip it in the bud quickly.

I'm 51 yo and was never overweight until the past 10 years or so. I've always gained and lost, gained and lost, in order to keep from becoming overweight. My weight has never been steady. I'm still very frustrated with myself for letting it get so out of hand this time, but determined to not let it happen again. I don't even kid myself that I'll need diet again in the future. But it will be to take off 5-10 lbs, not 25-30.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The real issue here is what you are doing, Going on a diet is a sure fire way to loose weight and then put it back on again. You have to be ready for a life style change, not a fad diet or some program that gives you special foods. I also recommend not trying all this on your own. There are professionals out there that can guide you much better. I tried for years to loose weight, would loose around 25 pounds then gain 30. Seemed I was gaining more weight trying to loose it than not trying to loose it. Then with the assistance of a Dietitian that listened to what I was saying, I embarked on a new life change way of eating and changed what I was eating. Same with exercise, Was going to the gym, but feeling tired and sore later, talked with a personnel trainer that understood my goal was to loose weight not bulk up, changed what and how I did my exercise. As a result over the last two years I have lost a total of 96 pounds and 10 inches off my waist. Now that I've almost reached my weight, I'm going back to the professionals to establish a new set of rules to keep me where I am. Is it easy , simple answer no. You have to want to change, and except that you can not do as before this is how it is going to be and except this. This is why so many fail, they are not ready for the long term commitment that it takes.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Why would you be discouraged ? " Next to impossible " is based on statistics ( which maybe, or may not be 100% correct.....usually they are not ). " Next to impossible " also means that most people will regain their weight, but not all. You just need to adjust your outlook and decide that you belong to the 7% ( according to statistics ) who do maintain their weight loss and not feed a fatalistic outlook that sets you up for failure.
    Good Luck !

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    Be a statistic, or be your own person. Studies don't determine my success or failure--I do.

THIS!!! 10,000,000 % THIS! What does it matter if very few people have ever managed to keep the weight off? What does that have to do with you? You get to choose what/how much you eat and what kind/how much of physical activity you do. Other's people's lives do not have to effect your choices.

It doesn't mean that it isn't going to take effort on your part to maintain your weight loss. It absolutely will. But if you are willing to put in that effort… it does not matter if not one single solitary soul in the history of humanity has been able to do it…. YOU WILL! Prove them all wrong! It's articles like that that got me to start losing weight in the first place. They are ridiculous and have so much WRONG information… but so many people believe them as gospel truth. So, I decided I was going to lose weight and do it my way just to prove people wrong! There will always be people who are gonna believe in that crap… but 175 pounds later… nobody can look at me now and tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The daily mail speak absolute crap all the time - really . If it says anything in this paper just assume the other side of the story is right and you will be right 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time they have messed up and actually printed the truth by mistake

^^^^^ this - so true!!

Also my GP quoted something similar to this article about 2 years ago. Stubbornly, I refused to conform and have maintained within a +5lb margin by being mindful of what I eat (range and variety), weighing what I eat, logging what I eat, oh . . . . and weighing me, regularly, for the same 2 years. I also use my Fitbit to try and make sure that I move enough, and MFP for support, ideas and motivation!

Edited to get quote right!