Discouraged by weight loss study

Options
12346»

Replies

• drzoltar
    drzoltar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    momar23 wrote: »

Yes, this! According to the study, I'd be considered a failure. My BMI is 25.5 and I still need to lose about 10 lbs. The study would completely dismiss my 70 lb weight loss that I've kept off for almost 3 years. And even though I wear medium shirts and a size 32" waist pants, they'd still consider me fat.

Don't give up. It's still possible to lose weight. And so what if you don't get to your doctor's "ideal" weight. 175 from 227 is still damn impressive. Even losing 10-15 lbs you'll notice a difference.
  • Cmaizy
    Cmaizy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out the National Weight Control Registry, a group of researchers who have collected stories of people who kept their lost weight off for a year or more. nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    momar23 wrote: »

Nice link. Certainly applies to me. My weight goal is only a few pounds into the "Normal" BMI range, and I've dipped into and out of that range several times.

According to the study I've failed. But did I fail because I only maintained a 45 pound loss instead of a 55 pound loss? Seems beyond ridiculous to me.
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lost 86 pounds and maintaining by accurately logging. I truly beleive in these simple formulas:

CI<CO Lose weight
    CI=CO Maintain weight
    CI>CO Gain weight

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight 50 lbs 5 yrs ago, I have went up 10 lbs and 15 lbs and lost it again. It is so easy to relax and as soon as I do and quit weighing I gain weight. I think it is just like drinking, gambling, shopping too much. I will always want to eat too much, it is my thing but I agree it is a Math thing so I know it is easy but it is not easy, you have to be cautious all the time. A lot of work but worth it.
  • pzyxian
    pzyxian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    sounds like a scam
  • cootason
    cootason Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by bs studies that really kill motivation, I have read viewed a lot of those crappy studies and yet it has got me a few times while going through this journey to health keep learning new foods and you'll find some foods you'll love so much you wont miss the old habits.

I still go out to restaurants and have good food even the side of chips offered I will have a small amount of the desert on offer in my case I changed what I eat for breakfast to allow me to have some things I like but I am still going where I want to with this its not easy but sometimes you just gotta stick with what works for you.

Many times I posted how I screw up while doing keto and woke next morning to find I was still lighter the next day I don't know the perfect solution but I know if you love what you have worked hard for that should drive you to keep it that way if not maybe you desire even more for yourself never give up, find a new challenge :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    bsctov wrote: »
    I just read the scientific study (reported by most major news outlets) that says it's next to impossible for people who are overweight to maintain their weight loss long term, this has really dashed my hopes of looking good again..

The problem is that they are putting all methods of weight loss into the same category. I've followed the MFP way for over 1200 days and have not put weight back on because, as many have suggested, it's about a lifestyle change. I don't even count calories nowadays but I do think about how much I'm eating and make sure I train regularly or participate in sports (which are now my entertainment rather than something to endure).
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options

It's an article about obesity in the Daily Mail - that should tell you all you need to know about the quality of the data and the conclusions they've drawn.