Does anyone here not count calories, or have stopped?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've stopped before but always seem to gain the weight back. Mind you I'm not overweight at all, but it's really easy to gain 5-10 pounds. After my next loss, my plan is to weigh myself more often and log one week every month to keep myself mindful. Hopefully it's successful.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I stopped about 3 weeks ago. I've lost 4lbs since. I did count for the first 18 months, but about 6 months ago I started eating just because I had calories left and not because I was actually hungry. Also, I got super lazy about accurately counting calories, so I was kind of sabotaging myself. I'm not going to lie though, after 18 months of counting, I still count in my head. I just can't stop myself yet. I don't log my food on MFP anymore.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't count and haven't now for years. It was very useful when I got here to help me understand where some calorie bombs were but after a few months I found it unnecessary. I've done a few spot checks here and there but those have gotten fewer and farther between. My eating and lifestyle suit me fine to be able to maintain my weight rather easily with minor adjustments as needed.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got tired of counting calories and my weight loss stopped abruptly and I have gained 8 pounds! :( I wish I didn't have to but it's the only way for me I guess. When I'm not logging it's like I think "Oh I can eat whatever I want!" which is ridiculous. I went from 1500 cals a day to probably 2500. Yuck.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I stopped about 3 weeks ago. I've lost 4lbs since. I did count for the first 18 months, but about 6 months ago I started eating just because I had calories left and not because I was actually hungry. Also, I got super lazy about accurately counting calories, so I was kind of sabotaging myself. I'm not going to lie though, after 18 months of counting, I still count in my head. I just can't stop myself yet. I don't log my food on MFP anymore.

I have had the above problem also. I gained weight because I ate even when I wasn't hungry. At meals I didn't quit when I was no longer hungry...sometimes I didn't quit even after I was full.

The ironic thing is...I used to track to make sure that I didn't over eat...now I am tracking to make sure that I eat enough. I have had to reduce my sodium intake in half and raise my potassium and iron. What I am finding is that the foods that fit all three are fairly low in calories. I sometimes get to the end of the day and I haven't hit the 1000 calorie mark. My goal is 1400 calories a day. So I end up back in the kitchen eating more food when I am not hungry. I am working toward making sure that I get at least 1200 minimum.

Moral of this story...I would hope to get to a point where I don't have to track. However...to make sure that I hit the levels of sodium, potassium and iron that I need and to make sure that I am eating enough...I might have to track longer than what I intended.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Right, except the natural state of a human female at 20 would be fairly lean unless they had a child.

Whoop, there it is.

ok if by "natural" you mean like in the wild, our hunter-gatherer ancestors, or presupposing an ideal active childhood than sure

but it does sound like you're suggesting it would be difficult for a 20 year old woman to not be "fairly lean" ...which would be incorrect...many 20 year old women today struggle with their weight, maybe not the majority but a significant enough portion for your statement to be very odd
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I stopped. I counted for a while on here, but it didn't last long. I, too, found it too consuming. Too much time weighing, measuring, trying to find a correct entry, etc. And too much time thinking about food. I didn't want my whole life to be about food and exercise. So, I stopped. I have still been losing wieght and, more importantly, inches. I'm getting pretty close to goal, I think.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting calories about a month ago when I realized I had become neurotic about it. I was freaking out as I logged and worrying about every 1/2 tablespoon of this, or ounce of that. And eventually I was eating way too little.

So I went on vacation, ate what ever I wanted... and came back home to regroup. I am now back to eating 80% paleo, 20% normal and have lost 3 lbs (of weight I had put on in the few weeks before vacation after I fell off the rails and then vacation). I feel good about my choice for right now and I am going to try this new approach for the next few months.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My trainer actually suggested I stop after logging for 2 1/2 months (last aug) because I was getting a bit overwhelmed with the whole change process. I am a very consistent eater and had started hitting my calories and macros within a couple of weeks after starting. I did not log again until earlier this month (almost 11 months later) when I wanted to check up on myself for a week. Much to surprise my calories and macros were right on. I've lost 95 pds and 50 inches so it works for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Right, except the natural state of a human female at 20 would be fairly lean unless they had a child.

Whoop, there it is.

ok if by "natural" you mean like in the wild, our hunter-gatherer ancestors, or presupposing an ideal active childhood than sure

but it does sound like you're suggesting it would be difficult for a 20 year old woman to not be "fairly lean" ...which would be incorrect...many 20 year old women today struggle with their weight, maybe not the majority but a significant enough portion for your statement to be very odd

This is because so many children are overweight or obese. Back when I was 20 (early 80's) it was fairly rare to see someone so young struggling with weight. Because it was even more rare to see an overweight child. There were a few, but very few.