Military Diet?!?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• chelseakrenzke
    chelseakrenzke Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What do you weigh everything out to? Are their set amounts I should be doing?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Weighing in grams is the most accurate.

If you look at the nutrition facts on the back of foods, you will see the serving size in a measurement, such as 2 Tbsp, 18 chips, 1/2 cup, etc. Next to the measurement, the serving size will have how many grams are in a serving size in parentheses, so the label will look like this:

peanut-butter.jpg?itok=24j-Wpcy

So, 32g of Skippy peanut butter is 190 calories, or around 6 calories per gram . You can adjust your grams down if you want to eat less calories, or up if you want a larger serving and have the room in your calories for the day.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Depends on the item and the person.

Raw vegetables I measure out what I'm using for the dish. Meats I measure the cut I'm using (such as a chicken breast), or a portion if I've broken it down.

Prepared items, I'll use the serving size as a guide, but I'm not bound to use that amount. For example, a brand of yogurt I've been eating has a serving size of 8 oz (227g). Since it's pretty high calorie and satisfying in a smaller amount, I use about half the container. If that comes out to 105 g, I log that. (Serving is then 105/227 = 0.46).

As for amounts of what you should be using, that is entirely up to what you need.

Use the macro ratios as a guide, but you can (and probably should) adjust to your particular needs and preferences.

• Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My scale lives on the kitchen counter. I put a plate on it as I'm dishing up and weigh everything as I go, it's just habit now. I live alone so no-one is judging me. Well, my cats judge me but that's par for the course..........

My dogs want to keep me fat. They get excited and try and knock me over if I try and do any exercise around the house ie: squats or running up and down the stairs. Silly pets.
  • chelseakrenzke
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    My scale lives on the kitchen counter. I put a plate on it as I'm dishing up and weigh everything as I go, it's just habit now. I live alone so no-one is judging me. Well, my cats judge me but that's par for the course..........

My dogs want to keep me fat. They get excited and try and knock me over if I try and do any exercise around the house ie: squats or running up and down the stairs. Silly pets.

My dog does that to me too
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Check out peoples diaries if you want to see how people weigh their food.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, I'll go buy a scale :) hopefully that helps.

Good to hear. Nice to see a new member open to advice. Good for you.

I like what @galgenstrick said. Start eating healthy and being caloric-aware now, and lose actual fat instead of water, and learn habits that are sustainable for a lifetime.

You may not need to log forever, but logging and weighing teaches you caloric awareness which will help you maintain a healthy weight long after you reach your goal.

Good luck!
  • chelseakrenzke
    Options
    Thank you @Orphia of course I'm going to listen to everyone hahaha I mean obviously it's working for them. Haven't had the chance to buy a scale yet, going to tonight though :) I think it will help a lot!

@christinev297 that's a great idea! I don't know why I never thought of that haha! Thank you!