PROTEIN: Is there such a thing as too much?

Options
I've always been taught to eat a high protein diet.
Today my protein consisted of:

Egg whites
Chicken
Protein Shake (with fat burner)

MFP has given me a goal of 45grams of protein a day.
But today i managed to eat 106grams...

I know it's good to eat protein,
But my questions to you are..
Did i eat too much protein for one day?
How much protein do you eat a day?

Keeping in mind i'm 19 female trying to loose 8 kgs/tone currently weighing around 62kgs
I eat 1200 cals a day and burn 200-300 a day.

Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think MFP protein goals are low. I try to get between 80 and 100 per day. There probably is such a thing as too much but I don't know what that number is. I like more protein than MFP recommends because it helps me to stay full longer.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • aanderson317
    aanderson317 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your macros so that you have a low carb high protein goal. That's what I did. For my 1200 calories I aim for 40g fat, 60g carbs, 150g protein. I rarely hit the protein number, but mostly I want to control my carbs. Just my two cents.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much protein--but you're not eating too much. Too much protein can cause kidney stones in some people (I'm one of them...not fun), but you have to be eating a lot of protein and not drinking enough water for that to happen (lesson learned). 100g of protein may be too much for someone who weighs 40 pounds, but there are plenty of people (mainly body builders as far as I know) that eat twice their body weight in protein without problems. I think you're fine :)
  • SamanthaMariex
    SamanthaMariex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also was curious about this and so I did some searching on this site and found quiet a few pages about it. From what I gathered MFP sets protein too low and unless you have an underlying kidney condition you shouldnt worry about your protein, I dont think you ate too much in one day, most of the post ive read people shoot for between 70-110g a day. It got so frusterating for me, I have taken 'protein' off of my diary so I dont have to see it in the red all the time lol!

I also found a nice little page outside of MFP and wanted to share it with you:

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Much-Protein-Should-I-Eat-165578 (So as you can see, it varies from person to person depending on weight and activity level.) It may not be very accurate but atleast it helps (:
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am 63-64kg and 21, I eat up to 180g of protein a day. You should be really aiming for at minimum 100g a day to help retain muscle and so on. Use the calculator mentioned above
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You should generally eat a gram of protein per your lb of lean body mass. You can manually change your macros percentages to change your goals.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I read that a person should consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, for most women that is 100 grams. 150 grams will help build muscle. I aim for somewhere in between and it has helped me immensely. I think your protein number is great!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    MFP is way too low for protein intake. One should aim to get 1g of protein per lean muscle mass. 106g of protein in a day is a very good day!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with 1g per lb, the set levels are bare minimum, you seem to be under that so nothing to worry about.

SOME people can have issue with it, but most don't, there is newer research that shows high levels are safe enough (OBVIOUSLY when eaten with carbs\fat as well).

I eat under 1.5g per Lb, so mine's set at 300ish for today (That's also down to planning 3 hours of training), about 280g
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    bump
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    there are drawbacks, I have found, having troubles going to the bathroom with high protein diet, but it does help me feel full and eat a lot less.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    actually since you exercise daily you could aim for 80-90g a day or even more if you want to help you with recovery and muscle retention while dieting.
    Keeping in mind i'm 19 female trying to loose 8 kgs/tone currently weighing around 62kgs

if i'm getting this right your net. kcal are below 1000. they should stay above 1200 at all times. but there have been thousands of treads about this already. look it up.

edit: this is assuming you have no illnesses of the digestive system or kidneys.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am female and usually eat 200+ grams of protein per day. No health issues with it at all. :smile:
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as too much protein.

According to Understanding Nutrition, 13th ed. :

"Health Effects of Protein

It should come as no surprise that protein deficiency can have devastating effects on people's health. But like the other nutrients, protein in excess can be harmful. High-protein diets have bee implicated in several chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, kidney stones, but evidence is insufficient to establish an Upper Level (UL)."

Reference material --Committee on Dietary Reference Intakes, Dietary Reference Intakes: Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Washington, D.C.: National Academics Press, 2005), p. 694.

That said, most everyone here is correct in saying that MFP does not recommend a healthy amount of protein (quite a lot under what should be consumed). Keeping in mind your protein intake should range between 10-35% of your calories consumed there is a fairly large range of recommended grams. According to the text the proper way to calculate recommended protein intakes is as follows:

1. Look up the healthy weight for person of your heigh
    2. Convert pounds to kg (pounds divided by 2.2)
    3. Multiply kg by 0.8 to get the Recommended Daily Allowance in grams per day

*note: Teens 14-18 multiply by 0.85

Hope this helps!
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was in the hospital with an infection, and there was a kid in the other bed who was in with kidney damage from excess exercise and protein drinks. You're not likely to overdo the protein from just eating, normal foods. Watch out for the protein drinks, though. You're body is already in a breakdown state as you lose weight/exercise and the kidneys need to work extra to get rid of the waste. If you saturate them with protein, they can start to fail, but you have to really overdo it.
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options
    (duplicate)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as too much protein.

According to Understanding Nutrition, 13th ed. :

"Health Effects of Protein

It should come as no surprise that protein deficiency can have devastating effects on people's health. But like the other nutrients, protein in excess can be harmful. High-protein diets have bee implicated in several chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, kidney stones, but evidence is insufficient to establish an Upper Level (UL)."

Reference material --Committee on Dietary Reference Intakes, Dietary Reference Intakes: Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Washington, D.C.: National Academics Press, 2005), p. 694.

That said, most everyone here is correct in saying that MFP does not recommend a healthy amount of protein (quite a lot under what should be consumed). Keeping in mind your protein intake should range between 10-35% of your calories consumed there is a fairly large range of recommended grams. According to the text the proper way to calculate recommended protein intakes is as follows:

1. Look up the healthy weight for person of your heigh
    2. Convert pounds to kg (pounds divided by 2.2)
    3. Multiply kg by 0.8 to get the Recommended Daily Allowance in grams per day

*note: Teens 14-18 multiply by 0.85

Hope this helps!

Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • Rachelesa94
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you help! Think i will change my macros manually so i don't freak out about seeing so much red! :P
    Good to know i'm not doing anything wrong by protein! :)
  • Rachelesa94
    Options
    actually since you exercise daily you could aim for 80-90g a day or even more if you want to help you with recovery and muscle retention while dieting.

if i'm getting this right your net. kcal are below 1000. they should stay above 1200 at all times. but there have been thousands of treads about this already. look it up.

edit: this is assuming you have no illnesses of the digestive system or kidneys.

I eat back my exercise calories :)