PROTEIN: Is there such a thing as too much?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Acg67 all of your research applies to true athletes. OP says she works off 200-300 calories a day-- that's like walking around as normal for the day. I agree, athlete's bodies can tolerate more. The average, day-to-day person should not.

Overloading the body with amino acids and not maintaining a proper carb to fat to protein ratio is not healthful and can be extremely detrimental. That's all I'm saying.

That's something i was worried about, because of my low calorie burn can the protein have negative effects.
    But seems as though what i thought was a high protein intake isn't actually that high.

if i'm not mistaken 200-300 kcal are equivalent of 30 mins of running or 1h of weight lifting. done every day this is a good amount of exercise and definitely requires a lot more than the default 45g of protein to allow full recovery.
    Very wrong, it highly depends on if you're female male your weight and how hard you run/lift. A heavy individual could burn that walking to the kitchen to eating a cookie lol.
  • Rachelesa94
    Options
    Just found this that i thought might be helpful for others

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/truth-about-high-protein-diets-pt-1
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Acg67 all of your research applies to true athletes. OP says she works off 200-300 calories a day-- that's like walking around as normal for the day. I agree, athlete's bodies can tolerate more. The average, day-to-day person should not.

Overloading the body with amino acids and not maintaining a proper carb to fat to protein ratio is not healthful and can be extremely detrimental. That's all I'm saying.

That's something i was worried about, because of my low calorie burn can the protein have negative effects.
    But seems as though what i thought was a high protein intake isn't actually that high.

if i'm not mistaken 200-300 kcal are equivalent of 30 mins of running or 1h of weight lifting. done every day this is a good amount of exercise and definitely requires a lot more than the default 45g of protein to allow full recovery.
    Very wrong, it highly depends on if you're female male your weight and how hard you run/lift. A heavy individual could burn that walking to the kitchen to eating a cookie lol.

actually i was estimating with the OPs 60 kg and wasn't that far off.

main point is that it's a sensible amount of exercise and enough to require extra protein.
  • CoderGal
    Options

It's from doctor oz (who isn't a doctor btw)...Try searching some doctor oz threads on this site...you'll be enlightened lol. And we're not really talking about high protein diets here.

Don't get me started on his raspberry pills that make you lose weight...

Anyway getting 'all your protein in one meal' does actually work. That was a hypothesis years ago that has been proven wrong since. It was based on a thought that you cannot absorb more then 30g of protein in a given moment. No need to 'spread' it throughout the day and make sure you get X many meals etc etc. There's many people here who do "IF" and the research on that indicates otherwise. That being said I prefer to spread them since I don't want to sit down to a meal of a million chicken breasts.
  • CoderGal
    Options

actually i was estimating with the OPs 60 kg and wasn't that far off.

main point is that it's a sensible amount of exercise and enough to require extra protein.
    My apologizes, I always assume people don't think before they post so I suppose I just pulled one of those :p
  • Rachelesa94
    Options

It's from doctor oz (who isn't a doctor btw)...Try searching some doctor oz threads on this site...you'll be enlightened lol. And we're not really talking about high protein diets here.

Don't get me started on his raspberry pills that make you lose weight...

oh wow oops okay haha i don't know much about him, but seems like every week he's promoting a new weight loss product..
  • CoderGal
    Options
    oh wow oops okay haha i don't know much about him, but seems like every week he's promoting a new weight loss product..
    Exactly lol. Also I just edited that post if you want to read about why he probably had those thoughts. It was based on a old hypothesis that was proven wrong essentially. I'm sure there's a few stranglers on the site who have links to the study. I've seen it before but it's long been forgotten. It's hard to do a lot of 'studies'. Nothing is a closed case with the human body, to many factors.

Anyway a lot of body builders have a 'fasting' type diet where they eat large amounts of food at one time and many studies have proven that more protein equals more LBM which kind of proves that myth wrong in itself since they're taking in large quantities at once and seeing benefits from them.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    this thread again?????? ...ughhhh can you say dead horse...

Ridiculousness. Being annoyed about a repost of any topic, and diving in anyway is the equivalent of stepping in dog crap on the sidewalk and then lying down and rolling in it just to complain about it more. MOST threads are redundant. So.... do something else, maybe? I believe most browsers have a back button, and that would be more constructive for OP than your contribution.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Ridiculousness. Being annoyed about a repost of any topic, and diving in anyway is the equivalent of stepping in dog crap on the sidewalk and then lying down and rolling in it just to complain about it more. MOST threads are redundant. So.... do something else, maybe? I believe most browsers have a back button, and that would be more constructive for OP than your contribution.
    Not gonna lie I get tired of the reposts and answering the same thing over and over again...perhaps we should just start doing something more constructive like answering a question in a separate post and posting a link to that thread every time it's asked.

I gotta say I sometimes enjoy the dead horse pics people come up with.
    dead-horse.gif
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    change the goals yourself -- why let MFP set the mins for you when you can adjust them? It sets fiber too low and protein for anyone working out too low and it sets Sodium too high for anyone with high bp etc.

So, go in and let it set the goals, then go back and adjust them youself. I set my protein at 25% of daily caloric intake as I do a lot of biking, walking and am getting back to weight training (started with crunches of all things but I'm slowly going back)....I knew I needed to up my protein when my legs always hurt (muscle pain) and never seemed to heal. Today I make darn sure I'm at least 20-25% protein BUT it could be much higher.

Many body builders have upped protein to as much as 2 or 3 times body weight though I think over extended periods that's too excessive.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Last week while searching the interwebs, I came across a new study on protein intake. In short, it found no long term effects or damage from consuming any where up to 3g per lb of LBM in MALE weight lifters 200 lbs and over. They were all eating a typical "body builders cutting" type diet, and drinking plenty of water. It found that an intake of 2.0-3.0g/lb of lbm helped them to preserve the most lbm while in a cut cycle. And still lifting heavy. I didn't bookmark the dang thing.Now I can't find it again ......
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You'll crave protein if you are not eating enough. Listen to your body.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    You'll crave protein if you are not eating enough. Listen to your body.
    Not everyone does, I certainly didn't crave it. I thought eating vitamin enriched vegetables was the greatest good I could do and ended up losing hair lol. There are many who end up with deficiencies far before they ever want to touch anything protein enriched.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING TURNS INTO FAT.....IF YOUR EATING HIGH PROTEIN BUT USING WEIGHTS YOUR BODY WILL USE IT AND NOT STORE IT AS FAT.QUESTION IS:WHAT ARE YOU EATING EXTRA FOR TO GAIN MUSCLE OR LOSE WEIGHT?
  • RebeccaHite
    Options
    oops
  • RebeccaHite
    Options
    also heard younger you are more carbs and as you age less carbs more protein because your metabolism changes with age
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    also heard younger you are more carbs and as you age less carbs more protein because your metabolism changes with age

Much depends on activity more than anything. Individuals who are for the most part sedentary can thrive on a low carb diet....people who exercise a lot are going to have a pretty tough go of it because you don't' have that stored glycogen for immediate use. My mom is 60 and eats carbs like a maniac...but she's also a triathlete and trains harder than many 1/2 her age. She also eats about 120 grams + protein per day to help support that recovery.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Sorry :/ I don't mean to be annoying..
    I'm kind of new at the forum thing and not sure how to search up old posts yet..
    Was just looking for some help.. which is what i thought the forums were for..

there is a really great feature on here called "search" where you can search for this thread and find all the answers you need...I believe they also have a topic on setting macros in the introductory section as well...
  • CoderGal
    Options

Much depends on activity more than anything. Individuals who are for the most part sedentary can thrive on a low carb diet....people who exercise a lot are going to have a pretty tough go of it because you don't' have that stored glycogen for immediate use. My mom is 60 and eats carbs like a maniac...but she's also a triathlete and trains harder than many 1/2 her age. She also eats about 120 grams + protein per day to help support that recovery.
    I was thinking up something to say to that reply but now that he replied, ^this this this this this
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Last week while searching the interwebs, I came across a new study on protein intake. In short, it found no long term effects or damage from consuming any where up to 3g per lb of LBM in MALE weight lifters 200 lbs and over. They were all eating a typical "body builders cutting" type diet, and drinking plenty of water. It found that an intake of 2.0-3.0g/lb of lbm helped them to preserve the most lbm while in a cut cycle. And still lifting heavy. I didn't bookmark the dang thing.Now I can't find it again ......

When I tell people about my days of bodybuilding and eating over 500 grams of protein a day they usually thought I was insane :) but then I was the biggest guy in the gym (without drugs thank you very much).

Pete Grymkowski (sp) talks about this in his Body Building Encyclopedia from Golds Gym and I can attest that if muscle gain is the goal that up your protein! :D