What triggered your desire to lose weight ?

Options
Guy04
Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
What triggered me was, I was laying in bed trying to get comfortable in bed for the 3rd night in a row,again I had painful heart burn with this feeling that my stomach was full all the way up to my Adams apple. The next day I read up on GERD and Sliding Hiatal Hernia's. According to what I read everything I was doing was making the situation worse. In order to relieve myself of these symtoms I needed to lose weight and stop drinking alcohol. So that day I decided no more beer and I'm gonna get serious about getting down to a healthy BMI. So what your trigger to get serious about losing weight ?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Setting a wedding date and thinking about the pictures.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I had to fix my diet and start getting some exercise for health reasons and to reverse a bunch of bad blood work...a nice bi-product of that was dropping about 40 Lbs, but that wasn't really my goal initially...just kind of happened.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with insulin resistance.
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of me (the one in my profile, but my full body) next to my sister, and realizing just how bad I had let myself get. Although, I have tried a few times... my motivation this time is higher b/c my BF has lost about 80 lbs and she looks incredible!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Health issues. Had a Come To Jesus at the doctor and stopped at grocery store on my way home.

Woke up eating Crunch Berries and donuts, went to bed eating baked chicken and green beans.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't stand the way I looked in photos anymore and needed to do something about it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The doctor's casual mention of BP meds, solidified by digging up a picture of me from my last vacation.
  • niharikashukla28
    niharikashukla28 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    my desire to wear good clothes and obviously to avoid future health problems
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 with a family history of heart disease and diabetes. Keeping weight down, diet balanced and staying active seems my best bet for avoiding those.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Had a pinched Ulnar nerve and went to get seen. Nurse was concerned about my BP (162/127). I had never had high blood pressure until then. Went on meds to control it, but promised myself I would only use those until I could come off on my own. I didn't want to live my life in the pharmacy line picking up medications. Started running, eating less (still eat poorly, just less of it), drinking only water. Haven't been on any medication for over a year now.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    $$$ I didn't want to start buying clothes in a bigger size and not liking how I looked naked. Plain old vanity reasons.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Bawling my eyes out in my closet because none of my clothes fit anymore.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Nothing in particular other than wanting to be healthy. I was 175 and all muscle in college and life got the best of me until we were pregnant for our first child (210lb). I wanted to be healthy for my wife and kid and 12 months later and I was back down to 185. For some reason I stopped logging calories and exercising and hit 220 this past winter (5 years later).

This time my wife started exercising and I knew I was overweight, so I started lifting again and started counting calories again. I've been enjoying the challenge of lifting, as I didn't have room for a bench for years, and I'm too lazy and cheap to go to the gym. I'm now down to 204. I hope to be at 175 by Christmas.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lots of things... pictures, thinking about getting married in the next few years and not wanting to have to lose the weight then, being out of shape when I have a job that requires a lot of hiking. I post this quote on a lot of threads, but it's honestly become my mantra whenever I'm feeling unmotivated or when I screw up here and there "Eating well (losing weight) is hard. Being fat is hard. Chose your hard."
  • ATL_Geiger
    ATL_Geiger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Been 5'10" 128-130lbs since I was 17. Quit smoking and trying to put on weight. Tired of looking like a teenage boy in my mid 30's.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i was down to my goal weight for about a year. i had an old pair of shorts size 14 that i used to wear and i kept them so i could remember how big i used to be. i got pregnant and gained weight, then went through some difficult times. all i could wear were those big shorts. that's when i knew i had to do something to get back to my goal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Got sick and tired of being fat and tired.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ATL_Geiger wrote: »
    Been 5'10" 128-130lbs since I was 17. Quit smoking and trying to put on weight. Tired of looking like a teenage boy in my mid 30's.

I was between 105 and 110 until I quit smoking at age 51. I'm almost halfway back there!
  • ClaudePou
    ClaudePou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Doc, told me twice to go see a weight clinic. I knew i would feel better if i got it under control.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Busting out of the largest size clothing in my closet. Severe acid reflux and hiatal hernia (no processed food for me anymore). wanting to feel good as well as look good.