How long has it taken you to lose your weight?

Options

Replies

• A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I started around your start weight at 185 and I have lost 26 pounds. I started the beginning of March. So 3 months.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Today is my 150th day and I've lost 55 lbs. I eat between 1500-1700 calories a day and exercise 5-6 days a week. I've found that eating higher protein lower carbs helps the weight come off quicker.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Started in January of this year.. down 54 so far. You can do this!! I eat my allowed calories 95% of the time and do zumba 2 or 3 times a week. Me and my hubby also walk when we can fit it in.
    This is not a race I have learned after many failed attempts. You didnt get overweight overnight and your not going to lose it overnight.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i'm at the 20 pound mark and i can honestly say i've never thought it would happen.
    sometimes it felt so slow. like i would never lose any of my weight. and i felt like it wasn't coming off nearly fast enough.

i've been at it for about 4 and a half months, and it equals to almost a pound a week. some weeks slower than others. but then i have weeks like i did these past few weeks. i've lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks which is awesome.

just give it some time. i also eat about 1500 calories a day
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight the first week on the ice cream and puppy diet. Check it out!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds in 11 months. I still have a lot to lose, but never had that "rapid loss at first if you are really heavy" thing happen. I work out a lot, and it seems to be necessary for me to get the weight to go, probably because of my age. But I am definitely learning a whole new lifestyle which I know will help me get to my goal and maintain it, while feeling better and better overall.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    I dropped 65 lbs in 2 months eating normal (no more pizza for every meal) and lifting 7 days a week. Cardio (running 1 mile) was done every other day, with 20 mins of HIIT on Friday mornings (30 sec sprint 1 min walk).
    That is pretty crazy - did you have a lot to lose??
    It was a decent amount, yeah.. I'm 5'9. I started out at 215 lbs, which is pretty heavy considering my height. After the 2 months, I was 150.. I probably had around 8-9% bodyfat at that point, so I didn't have *too* much fat left to burn beyond that point.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    First time I lost weight - 6 months and 40 pounds gone

This time I took it slower, and i'm at nearly 3 months and 13 pounds down. I still want me treats, which I didn't do the first time I lost weight, I was on a strict paleo diet as part of a crossfit challenege, so between the crossfit and paleo, i lost 40 pounds in just under 6 months... this was back in 2011 right after my college graduation.

Now I can't afford crossfit, and I still want some dairy, some bread, some sweets... I'm ok with losing it more slowly, especially since I was diagnosed with Fibro and can't do half the stuff I used to (I'm finally working up to jogging!) But no heavy lifting anymore for me.

Right now I yoga, walk, and sometimes jog a bit here and there. That's it. Oh, and calorie deficit. And the weight is still coming off (2.2 pounds this week alone, last week 1.5 pounds)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself where you want to be this time next year. Do you want to have given up and gained back what you lost and on the yo-yo cycle of starving and binging? Or do you want to have made a modest cut to your calories and made an effort to move more and thus creating a sustainable deficit which will give you that 30-40 pounds you want to lose? You really can be at the weight you want to be a year from now. It probably won't take a year, you would be at maintenance for a couple months if you lose even just one pound a week. And if you are exercising, you are going to look much better long before you lose that last pound. It's up to you.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I started my "journey" in January of 2012. I've dealt with a plateau or two, but the weightloss has been pretty consistant, so far no backslides. This is more of a lifestyle rather than a diet. I workout about an hour a day and eat between 1500 - 1600 cals a day, I do not eat back my exercise calories, unless its something really good.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I started Jan. 4th 2012 @ 215lbs. In 10 weeks I got down to 182, (43lbs lost). I'm not sure of the exact time from then but I've dropped about another 11-12lbs. I've been hovering around 170-171 and I'm good with that.
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is a journey, my initial large weight loss with WW in 2004 I lost 55 pounds in 7 months (193 to 138). Maintained that for about a year and 30 pounds slowly came back. I did not learn with WW that this is a lifestyle. It is forever. After kids I was able to lose 10 pounds with just running, and eating whatever I wanted to (153 before last pregnancy). To lose the last 20 (and gain muscle), I have changed my eating habits and started weight training. I have lost 23 pounds since October, although the last 5 have been since February (currently at 135). I never had a "goal" weight to be where I am today, I have slowly continued to lose even with eating >2300 calories daily. I track on MFP every day, everything I have eaten since October. It is such an excellent tool!

My recommendations:
    1) It is not a race. You will get there. When you get there you need to stay there, so develop habits for life.
    2) Weight training will increase your basal metabolic rate helping you burn more calories at rest, helping you burn fat, or at least be able to eat more:) And you will have kick *kitten* curves! Don't JUST be a cardio bunny.
    3) A low calorie diet is okay, however, make sure you are eating nutrient dense foods. It is tough to get in all of your protein, vitamins and minerals with such a low caloric intake, unless you are eating ALL lean meats, fruits, and veggies. Nutrient dense foods will also keep you feeling more satisfied.
  • musician68
    musician68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    when i started exercising it was Dec 3rd 2012. And Not working out for over 15yrs.. i lived a seditary lifestyle eating anything and everything from Soda pops , Cake, Ice Cream, Red Meat, etc etc.. you name it , it went in my mouth.. I Gained 60 lbs in 10yrs, i was a smoker a drinker but very ( Light ):smokin: @ Both:drinker: :drinker: ...... Im 5'11 tall Athletic Build.. But i was shaped like a (Pear) and I Looked like i was 8 Months Pregnant !! LOL ...:sad:

I needed to make a change, i got tired of feeling Tired all the time. so .... I stopped everything,, (Sodas) ( Sweets) (Red Meat) ( High Carbs) ( White Bread) AFter about a week into my Dieting i noticed i was getting ( Severe Headache) from Caffine Withdrawals... But then it went away after that.... ( Then The Weight Started Coming off 3 lbs a week!! ) It was Incredible ,, and i havent even started working out yet, i just changed my diet and the weight came off..

Then In Jan 2013, i started a workout plan.. ( Just Walking 2 miles 30min 2 days a Week ) But in just 1 Month. i lost 10 lbs...... Then Gradually increased to 3 miles,, to 10k .... And Now I Bought me a Bike in April , and i been riding 25- 30 miles Easily and loving it...

now in just 6 Months I Lost between 25-30 lbs,, I Lost my Abs. I Now have a 2 Pak Abs.. I have Crazy Energy now. @ 45 yrs Old ..

But I'll Tell you a Little Secret......? I still Do eat McDonalds. Chipoltes, Taco Bell , Pizza.. etc... But I do it in Moderation and then I workout to Burn it off......
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It's taken me a year and a half to lose what I've lost. I have 20 more to go. I anticipate it taking just as long.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    Well, I joined in feb 2012 and so far I've lost 30lbs.
    I'm sure that would make some people crazy, but it's kind of perfect for me. While I think I'm on a plateau (boo hoo) I'm not too stressed about it. I've made great progress and even if it's not fast - it's still progress :-)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Today will mark the 20th day that I have been on roughly 1200 calories, and trying to get as much exercise as I can.

OMG. You sound exactly like me 3.5 years ago, except I was trying to lose over 100 lbs. What you're doing is what I did, and it took me about 3 weeks to realize it wasn't going to work. So ...

A. Stop.
    B. Eat more food (figure out your TDEE, subtract about 20% from it, and eat that many calories every day).

You probably only need to be losing 1 to 1.5 lbs per week, and you're losing at more than 2 lbs per week right now. I know you're impatient about this, but unless you won the powerball and they won't give you the money unless you lose 40 lbs in a month, I don't see any legit reason to starve yourself.
  • ainjii
    ainjii Posts: 3
    Options
    I currently weigh 155. I am 5'7 and started at 175. I has taken me 6 months to lose this weight. My weight loss wasn't perfect, I took a trip to Ireland and ate my heart out. Had some bad celebration days, etc. I even plateaued at 160 for almost a month.

Anyway, definitely take it slow. Eat your exercise calories, otherwise you are starving yourself. It's a lifelong process. You might want to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

if you are looking for inspiration.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It has taken me about 8 months to lose 26lbs and keep it off.

During these last 8 months I have gained and loss and gained and loss and gained and---well, you get the idea

I still have quite a ways to go and it used to get so discouraging for me to see the scale crawl down...
    Now I know that it takes time. Just like I didnt wake up fat (no matter how much it feels like I did), I wont wake up thin.

keep at it!
  • tlvasa
    tlvasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on Jan 2 so roughly have 168 days in the game. Near your starting weight but a tad taller. I, too, used the 1200 calorie plan and for the first quarter it was spot on - and AVERAGE of 2 lb a week overall. That first month I was hungry! I think a lot of it is just retraining ourselves not to eat whenever we feel like it. Once that habit is broken and you start finding foods that are more filling, it gets better. The 4th month was difficult for me. Lots of ups and downs with no real progress. I adjusted my weight loss plan to 1 lb or maybe it was 1.5 per week which gave me a few more calories and it put me back on track in May and early June. I am flirting with my original goal of 155 but haven't landed on it for good yet. Actually, the way things are going, I may set my expectations a little lower since I have seasoned myself to eating differently and exercising.

I'm not an exercise fanatic but do know that I can't lose without it. I work out at Curves at least 2 - 3 tx a week, 30-40 minutes on the elliptical 3 - 4 tx per week. Walk 1-2 miles 3-4 times a week and ride my horse whenever I can. I try not to eat after 7:00 PM. Many say that doesn't matter but to me what I was eating after 7 wasn't good for me, so just another habit to stop. I also drink very little alcohol anymore.

If you have lost 7 lbs in 20 days, you are well ahead of the game. Give yourself a chance to adjust to your new eating habits. It does get easier. Good Luck!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about 3 months (March 11th - June 13th, haven't weight since then) and lost about 26 pounds. Most of that was in the first month - I averaged 3 lbs. a week, but now I'm down to a much more reasonable 1 lb. a week.