Study says restaurant meals are just as unhealthy as fast food

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    All I get when I click is cute pictures of cute doggies!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The link does not work. :/
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That you for that.
    People tended to consume about 80 calories less when they ate restaurant food at home rather than dining in. That's because in-restaurant dining is more leisurely, social and relaxing, so people aren't as concerned with overeating,
    Take out experience is lower cal?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks, tomatoey!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I believe that. If you look up nutrition facts at most places the regular menu items are loaded with fat and sodium to get them tasty. Not uncommon for some meals to be well over 1200 calories. Most places do have healthier options in their menu though that are better. Thats usually what I try to stick with generally.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I found it really interesting that restaurants add that much sodium. We all complain of water weight after eating out...here's proof that we're all correct, we're retaining water because of all the added salt.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    np & np :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've stayed away from those foods long enough now that biting into a typical restaurant or fast food burger actually feels like it burns my mouth from all that sodium.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Why did they only check for fat as the only macronutrient? I thought carbs were the booman?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    I believe that. If you look up nutrition facts at most places the regular menu items are loaded with fat and sodium to get them tasty. Not uncommon for some meals to be well over 1200 calories. Most places do have healthier options in their menu though that are better. Thats usually what I try to stick with generally.

I have learned that just because it appears to be healthy...it often isn't.

I ordered a small bowl of cucumber/tomato/onion dish...around 80 calories...thought it was a good choice...until...

I looked up the nutritional info when I got home and that little bowl of wonderful veggies had more than 500mg of sodium. That is a lot for someone that has to keep their sodium below 1500mg. Actually that is a lot for anyone.

• Kerestesb
    Kerestesb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is dead on. I think what really makes it bad is the sodium. You will always see menu items which are advertised as healthy because they are under 600 calories or something like that. But the real problem with restaurant food is that it all has an excessive amount of sodium. This just, verifies that there is no healthier way to go than a home cooked meal.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Why did they only check for fat as the only macronutrient? I thought carbs were the booman?

Because fat is still the devil. You know it makes you fat and eat more or something.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I get that there are many people who need to restrict their sodium for medical purposes, but if you are not one of those people, then why is a restaurant meal "unhealthy" if it is higher in sodium?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Maybe they recycled the article from the early 90s when fat was that bad macro!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I've stayed away from those foods long enough now that biting into a typical restaurant or fast food burger actually feels like it burns my mouth from all that sodium.

My favorite thing about eating low sodium is how...suddenly...I can taste things again. I remember when, a few years ago, a friend from the UK was visiting and we went out to dinner. She asked me why American food is so over-salted. I was so accustomed to salt that I couldn't discern it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So, food is the devil still. 'Unhealthy' is a relative term, isn't it? Fat isn't bad for you, sodium isn't bad for you (unless you have to avoid it for medical reasons), and everyone can eat a meal out now and then with no detrimental effects. And who is to say that a restaurant meal is any worse than what some people are cooking up at home?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

Because fat is still the devil. You know it makes you fat and eat more or something.

Sorry but I would have to disagree. Fat is not the devil, will not cause people to over eat, and is not what makes people fat. Eating more calorie than what the body need in a day is what makes people over weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

Sorry but I would have to disagree. Fat is not the devil, will not cause people to over eat, and is not what makes people fat. Eating more calorie than what the body need in a day is what makes people over weight.

The previous comment was sarcasm.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    In other breaking news water is discovered to be wet...