Flexible Dieting (IIFYM)

Options

Replies

• taliarosseelmfp
    taliarosseelmfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do it and I love it! The most maintainable "diet".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

On rest days, I keep carbs under 50g and eat more fat.
    On workout days, I eat very little fat and eat higher carbs.

This is a common bodybuilder methodology.

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

The majority of body builders that run a bulk are going to eat more than 50 grams of carbs....so your assertion is not correct.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Every single day, I first always focus on eating 0.8g protein (or more) per pound of lean body mass (my total weight minus my bodyfat weight)

IIFYM works great if you have >30 pounds to lose. But once you reach sub-12% bodyfat, you will find it challenging to get any leaner unless you focus more intently on what you're eating and when you eat it.

Losing weight via a calorie deficit is definitely possible via IIFYM, but building muscle while staying lean is, speaking frankly, not nearly as simple.

Tell that to Kane Sumabat or Layne Norton...

To be fair though....Layne has Vitamin S working in his favor......
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.
  • DeeJayShank
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The majority of body builders that run a bulk are going to eat more than 50 grams of carbs....so your assertion is not correct.

This is a cutting suggestion, not a bulk.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Be mindful of your micros. Skinny does not equal healthy. If you regularly eat junk but small enough portions to give you a calorie deficit, you are not likely getting nutrients you need.

wut?

I eat a serving of ice cream every day and I have no problem hitting my micros and macros.

Junk food tends to be macro (calorie) rich and micro poor. If you fill up your macros with junk you are likely to be deficient in some micro nutrient. I'm not talking about one serving of ice cream. I'm talking about IIFYM being used as an excuse to eat ONLY junk. Congratulations on your success.

If your diet is not nutrient dense then that is not IIFYM...

IIFYM is not eating ice cream and pop tarts all day.

for the record, there is no junk food, just junk diets.

If It Fits Your Macros, you can eat it. No part of that acronym mentions micro nutrients. That is how it is interpreted. If you are mindful of anything beyond macros, it is just sound nutrition, not a catchy phrase.

God dayum. IIFYM revolves around 2 things....
    1. Hitting your micros
    2. Hitting your macros

It's not like all IIFYMers just eat pop tarts and cake all day fgs. Think about it.

It's not like ANY iifymers just eat pop tarts and cake all day.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I take a modified approach. I try to get most of my calories from "clean" food, chicken, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc., but have no qualms about a bowl of ice cream or some doritos if they fit my macros.

See my *post* how is yours a "modified" approach? I just choose NOT to label food anything other than what it is..... FOOD.

Well, my understanding is that IIFYM means that you could eat skittles, bacon and fat free greek yogurt all day as long as it fits your macros. Am I wrong?

That part is "false" because you wouldn't be able to hit your macro targets just eating those three alone all day. Again, refer back to my original post about the original core of IIFYM is.

324sokk2ncjp.jpg

You overshot your sodium and sugar by quite a bit.
  • DeeJayShank
    Options
    I take a modified approach. I try to get most of my calories from "clean" food, chicken, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc., but have no qualms about a bowl of ice cream or some doritos if they fit my macros.

See my *post* how is yours a "modified" approach? I just choose NOT to label food anything other than what it is..... FOOD.

Well, my understanding is that IIFYM means that you could eat skittles, bacon and fat free greek yogurt all day as long as it fits your macros. Am I wrong?

That part is "false" because you wouldn't be able to hit your macro targets just eating those three alone all day. Again, refer back to my original post about the original core of IIFYM is.

324sokk2ncjp.jpg

You overshot your sodium and sugar by quite a bit.

hahaha epic meal
  • ndj1979
    Options

for the record, there is no junk food, just junk diets.[/quote]

I don't want to, but I have to disagree :(
    There is totally junk food (foods with no real nutritional value), but with IIFYM or Flexible Dieting you can just choose to eat them if you want and if they fit.[/quote]

what matters is dietary context. If you eat ice cream and hit micros, you will be fine. You don't consume individual foods in a vacuum, so what matters is what makes up your overall diet, not individual choices therein.
  • jmule24
    Options

No reason to. Just sharing my own experience. For me, IIFYM works great when I have plenty of bodyfat to provide me with extra energy. Not the same mental/physical experience when I try to eat candy all day and maintain a deficit at under 12% bodyfat.

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........
  • stevencloser
    Options

There's your problem. You've got a strawman stuck in your exhaust pipe.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Grr, I hate it when that happens.
  • jmule24
    Options

Hehehehe.........
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Except you are speaking for others and not just yourself....
  • ndj1979
    Options

This is a cutting suggestion, not a bulk.

OK - the majority of body builders also cut on more than 50 grams, because they want energy to fuel their workouts.

I am cutting right now and my carb intake is about 35% and I am down 12 pounds and back under 15% body fat...

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It seems every diet is IIFYM.

You punch in your macros and then follow it

Not sure why this is a controversial topic.

Your diet
    Your business
    If it works---Yay You!

Disagree. I would argue.....(no facts to base this on) that a majority of MFP'ers follow the CALORIE counter more closely than adhearing strictly to MACRO breakdown.

Maybe it seems understood to me but counting calories would be a starting point

I set my macros in user preferences and the plug in food and see the calorie counts go up and the macro levels send advisory messages when hit

Seems pretty hard to screw up dieting using MFP.

• DeeJayShank
    edited July 2015
    Options

To newbies, IIFYM often means eat whatever you want, just fit macros. This is crappy advice. This is my point.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lotta meatheads in these forums, really pretty suffocating.

To newbies, IIFYM often means eat whatever you want, just fit macros. This is crappy advice. This is my point.

I am sorry but that is not what IIFYM is.

IIFYM is hitting your macros, micros, and calorie target for the day. IIFYM is not eating pop tarts all day, no matter how much you want to think it is. Please find me an IIFYM proponent that advocates not hitting micronutrient targets.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of your micros. Skinny does not equal healthy. If you regularly eat junk but small enough portions to give you a calorie deficit, you are not likely getting nutrients you need.

wut?

I eat a serving of ice cream every day and I have no problem hitting my micros and macros.

Junk food tends to be macro (calorie) rich and micro poor. If you fill up your macros with junk you are likely to be deficient in some micro nutrient. I'm not talking about one serving of ice cream. I'm talking about IIFYM being used as an excuse to eat ONLY junk. Congratulations on your success.

for the record, there is no junk food, just junk diets.

I think some that hate on IIFYM suppose someone would set their macros to 5-5-90 carb heavy and eat only doughnuts

But that is getting a bit far fetched

Reasonable macro settings makes you get a cross section of foods/nutrients.

There is no real basis for the ongoing arguing on MFP.

Reasonable macros at a correct calorie level works

I ate a half pizza after a 3000 calorie 40+ mile ride.

It fit my calorie and macro limits

And it was good....

• DeeJayShank
    Options

What? Again, you're failing to understand IIFYM. No IIFYM'er is advocating eating candy all day....

RULE #1 - FOCUS ON NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS!!!!!!! This will be the 4th time I've had to post this........

You are wrong. Sorry. IIFYM, by it's very definition, says to focus on what fits your macros. YOU are placing your own brand and thoughts on it by saying "focus on nutrient dense foods". That is YOU saying that, not the universe of IIFYM believers.

Recognize the fact that you are adding supplementary conditions to IIFYM. So you cannot simultaneously criticize a plan that focuses on higher-quality food and say that IIFYM is ok as long as you eat nutrient-dense food.

This is an illogical argument.
This discussion has been closed.