I know, I know... another one of those...

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I've done my best to search around for old posts about this specific part of the topic, but to no avail. I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I've been trying to eat back my calories from exercise as per MFP's recommendation; however, when I do eat back even a majority of the calories, I do not lose ANY weight. Sometimes I gain! I wear a HRM when I workout so I know exactly how many calories I am burning and try to journal as honestly and accurately as possible. Any advice? Thanks!
    Are you using the HRM for weight lifting? Cause if you are, it's OVER ESTIMATES calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital food scale?

This made a huge difference for me...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You should calculate your TDEE and then set your calorie goal at 20% below TDEE. Don't eat back exercise calories as that would be accounted for in your TDEE. Only eat back exercise calories if you have an exceptionally active day. This method is outlined very well in 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women'. I highly recommend that you read it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've done my best to search around for old posts about this specific part of the topic, but to no avail. I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I've been trying to eat back my calories from exercise as per MFP's recommendation; however, when I do eat back even a majority of the calories, I do not lose ANY weight. Sometimes I gain! I wear a HRM when I workout so I know exactly how many calories I am burning and try to journal as honestly and accurately as possible. Any advice? Thanks!

You're eating more than you think or you're not burning as many as you think.

I see thread after thread on MFP about people eating back exercise calories and not losing.... and seriously almost all of them are wearing an HRM.

HRMs that give "calorie" readouts are horrendous.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't always trust MFP calculations on how many calories I burn on my workouts or on food. It's just an esimate. For that reason, I only eat back 50-75% of my workout calories.

I also adjust the calories burned myself. MFP says I burn over 1000 calories on elliptical for 60 mins. That's insane, do you realize how hard it is actually is to burn 1000 calories, lol. It took me 90 mins to actually get to 900 one time. This is why I adjust it myself.

*Food scale is also a great idea.
    :smile:
    21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    STOP with the"fun calories"...M&Ms, wine, bacon, pizza....take a step back and think, "would I eat these if i truly wanted to lose weight?" Answer is probably no. When you can lose the weight, then start incorporating healthier versions of these foods back into your diet.