auddii wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Skinny fat has nothing to do with your appearance. It's a derogatory term used to define someone who hasn't used any form of physical exercise while losing weight.

No, it isn’t.
    Start a weight lifting regimen while you work on your calorie deficit and you'll have no worries.

This is good advice, however. Or lift weights without a calorie deficit, to maintain weight but lose fat.

Ladsel, you might be interested in the Skinny Fat to Fit group. Just be sure not to go underweight while trying to lose fat. If you gain muscle, you’ll tone up while maintaining a healthy weight.

Yes, it is. How isn't it a derogatory term?

because it refers to being within a normal BMI with a high percentage of body fat which still puts them at risk for obesity related health issues. Skinny Fat is another term for "Normal Weight Obesity" of which many studies have been done.

So call someone 'normal weight obese' then. Calling an overweight or obese person 'fat' is derogatory. Calling someone 'skinny fat' then, would be derogatory... follow me?

This exactly. Being overweight is condemned in our society. Calling someone "fat" is putting them in their place in the social pecking order. Person loses weight and is no longer fat (therefore implicitly rising in social status) but insecure person tries to keep them in their place, hence "skinny fat," a sneer term designed to dismiss their weight loss as somehow not good enough.

Or, one could call someone "normal weight obese" except you can't because you're not their doctor and don't actually know one way or the other.

Dear god... did you not read anything we posted above? Or are you so heck-bent on being a victim that you cannot understand?

Fat is an attribute. Just like tall, short, etc. We just said that. All of this nonsense you posted is your own perception, which is keeping you in a victim mentality. All of these negative perceptions towards being fat are your OWN. Re-evaluate that for the sake of your happiness.
    Are you honestly going to say no one judges or treats people any different when they're fat?
    Or heck, since you picked tall and short, do you honestly think in western societies tall and short people are treated the same?
    Hell no they aren't. You short people can walk into any store and find clothes, even if you have to roll them up. I have to go to the freak store or a tailor.

But, you people who shop at the freak store tend to have a BMR that a lot of people would love to have...
    Yeah, but that's not western society's fault. You're gonna have to blame physics or something for that one.

On that note, they should change the names to Big OR Tall.

True, but maybe in the back of your head you can laugh at all us shorties (and I'm not even that short but compared to you I am) who have smaller calorie goals. It's a small consolation... :flowerforyou:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    "Skinny fat" is just a way of calling people "fat" when they aren't. It's an oxymoron, makes no sense and is almost always used either as insult or as an excuse to lose more weight when you're already skinny or underweight..."The chart says I'm underweight, but I'm skinny-fat!"

Skinny fat has a definition, which is weight in a normal range but high body fat. It's not an oxymoron. If you're skinny you're both at a normal body weight and body fat, if you're fat you're both at high body weight and bodyfat, this is one part of both.

You could also see it as the opposite of "ripped" which is low bodyfat and high muscles, whereas skinny fat would be high bodyfat and low muscles.
    It's a description of a body type.

And never forget:
    How-to-make-anything-sound-derogatory.jpg
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've never been so annoyed with the word "derogatory" before. People feel the need to be so PC all of the time, that the sensitivity level in people is sky rocketed. Fat is fat, skinny is skinny, orange is orange, blue is blue..if you feel offended by what physical shape you are in, then that is something that needs to be worked on with you. Just like society has a definition for everything, this is the definition of our bodies. Obese, Fat, Skinny, Muscular..etc.