SL 5x5 One-Month Progress

Options
nerdygymrat9
nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! Been doing StrongLifts 5x5 during my cut for about a month now. Weight-wise I am pretty happy with the progress but visually not feeling so great then again I guess trying to lose slowly means slower in progress and I do know that I need more time than a month! Guess just a little discouraged. Anyway here they are (stats and pics):

Starting stats (as of June 22, 2015)
Weight: Approx. 159 pounds (crappy scale made weighing inaccurate that first week so I got a new one and it has been accurate since)
Chest: 39.25"
Waist: 34.875"
Biceps (flexed): 13.75"
Hips: 38.375"
Thighs: 23.125"
Calves: 13.5"
Neck: 15.375"

Stats as of this morning:
Weight: 154.4
Chest: 39.125"
Waist: 34.00"
Biceps (flexed): 13.5"
Hips: 37.625"
Thighs: 22.875"
Calves: 13.5"
Neck: 15.125"

As for my strength gains:

Squat: 60 lbs --> 120 lbs.
Bench Press: 65 lbs --> 95 lbs.
Barbell Rows: 55 lbs. --> 85 lbs
Deadlift: 65 lbs. --> 115 lbs
Overhead Press: 45 lbs --> 70 lbs.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Picture on the left and the pictures on the top (for each set of photos) are the before pictures while the one on the right and the ones at the bottom of the second set of pictures are the afters!

bqpttzun2vsp.jpg
5zpjowpa9mad.jpg

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great. Trust the process and keep up the hard work. There is noticeable progress.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking awesome! Your body isn't going to change from average to super buff in a month. I'm doing SL 5x5 too, and I'll be stoked to see the progress that you've had.
    Stick with it, and remember to take pictures after another month! :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A week is a long time in politics.

A month is a short time in body comp.

Give it time, give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're moving in the right direction, after all! Keep it up!
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    A week is a long time in politics.

A month is a short time in body comp.

Give it time, give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're moving in the right direction, after all! Keep it up!

I like that!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I definitely read that as "a month is a short time in booty camp", and I was like, I like this guy. :D
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    seriously amazing progress!! we are our own worst critics
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I definitely see a big difference.
    Keep doing what you are doing.
    As all have already said, give it more time.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Actually, considering it's only been a month, your pictures are pretty impressive. There's a substantial difference there.

I've been lifting for two years and sometimes I feel, looking in the mirror, like I haven't changed a bit. I know it's not true - but our brains do funny things when we're standing in front of a mirror.

Just keep going. Be consistent.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I definitely read that as "a month is a short time in booty camp", and I was like, I like this guy. :D

OH that's even better! :D
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Trust the process Frans....weeks 6-12 is where things really took off for me with my cut. Great progress thus far!

@jimmmer that guy is one funny dude! :lol:
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Trust the process Frans....weeks 6-12 is where things really took off for me with my cut. Great progress thus far!

@jimmmer that guy is one funny dude! :lol:

I hope so Joe, I really do!

And to everyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback! I am really hard on myself so that sort of clouds what I see and makes it hard for me to notice any changes, more so all the flaws my body has and still have to work on. Especially since I have been down the cutting road several times before (difference this time being try to go more slowly since I bulked for a little while). But the fact that even if I can't see the changes that others can, means I guess I am doing something right. I have around 6-8 more weeks of this (I start school in 6 weeks but was hoping to maybe throw in another week or two to be safe but I will evaluate where I am at come the end of August)!
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You look great, especially after only a month! way to go!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Discouraged? By a month? Come back in a year and then decide if you're discouraged.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Discouraged? By a month? Come back in a year and then decide if you're discouraged.

@DopeItUp yeah discouraged, it just comes from me being harder on myself and also the fact that this is not my first cut but it is the first time I have been doing consistent weightlifting and trying to lose more slowly, as opposed to the last couple of times where I did not really track and lost at a faster rate. It's just an adjustment I guess so not really sure what to expect right now, you know?
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    Whoooa today's workout was a little tougher (OHP is hard lol) but pushed through to get those reps out at 75 lbs. Hit 125 lbs. on squats and DL today, can't wait til Monday to finally try it out with the 45 lb plates :)

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you measured correctly? I see so much difference in your belly and chest area!
    Keep up the good work.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Are you sure you measured correctly? I see so much difference in your belly and chest area!
    Keep up the good work.

I want to think I measured correctly since I usually do it more than once to be sure (usually slight variation but nothing more than like an 1/8 of an inch). Thank you though!
  • nplima
    nplima Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first 2 months of strength training are when you get the biggest boost in results and motivation. Enjoy the "newbie gains" and keep going. There's quite a few 70+ year old people on YT deadlifting 200+kgs as living proof that strength training is an investment for long term good health .
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Great job! Questions: do you go to a gym? If so, how do you ensure the equipment is available there for you to use? Thinking of starting stronglifts at some point and want to know about your experiences.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Great job! Questions: do you go to a gym? If so, how do you ensure the equipment is available there for you to use? Thinking of starting stronglifts at some point and want to know about your experiences.
    You can tour a gym before you sign up. On the tour just make sure they have a squat rack/power cage (smith machines are not a substitute!), a bench, barbells and weights. Also check that they allow deadlifts *cough*planetfitness*cough*. That's all you'll need for StrongLifts.
    Not a bad idea to see how much of the equipment is in use. If I go between 5-7:30pm then I have to wait for just about anything I want to use and my gm has 2 squat racks, 1 power cage and 4 benches. You'd think at least one thing would be open...