Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I resent the implication that if you're NOT heavy lifting, you're wasting your time. And I can't lift 20 lb. dumbbells, so again it feels like: fail.

Bottom line: do what's best for YOU. I'm old, apparently weak, but I love cardio, I'm working with resistance bands and smaller weights and it feels great. I will probably never "lift heavy" in my life - I'm fine with that - but man, the self-satisfied commands of those who love it can be deafening.

While you get the occasional jerk on the forums-i think you guys are reading too much into this. There is a lot of pride, particularly among females, about lifting. It used to be mostly male dominated-and I think a lot of women are just trying to encourage women that might be too intimidated. Blow off the jerks-take the rest for what it is.
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think most of the women who get excited and a little pushy about weight-lifting do so with good intentions. Leading a healthy lifestyle feels good and results feel even better. I've found myself telling all my friends about MFP and trying to urge them into signing up just because it has just improved my life so much and I'd like to see them as happy as I am. I think the same thing applies to women who weight-lift. They love doing it and love the results and they think others will, too, so they might try to push it off on you, forgetting that it's not for everyone.

I'm sure there are a few who just like feeling superior and condescending to those who don't, but I like to think that's not generally the case! Most of the women who've posted here have been nice enough to cardio lovers. The OP certainly seems genuinely interested and without judgment, at the very least, and @slaite1 has been a sweetheart. :)

But I totally agree that the best method of exercising is the one you'll do!
  • Serena795
    Serena795 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights as much as I should because in all honesty, I'd rather run outside than lift in a gym. But I do some weights anyway so that I don't become so injury-prone!