Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• delboyholmes123
    delboyholmes123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »

Yeah buddy. I do judo and BJJ so I couldn't agree more.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

I will just leave this here old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron

@Numberwang22

I think you meant to leave me this: https://www.stumptuous.com/old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron ! ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish I could like cardio just like 25% as much as some of you guys.

Maybe you just need to try a different method. Basketball, hiking, biking, walking, running, skipping, jumping, tennis, handball, raquetball, swimming, frisbee, baseball, ... how can anyone dislike all cardio??
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Maybe you just need to try a different method. Basketball, hiking, biking, walking, running, skipping, jumping, tennis, handball, raquetball, swimming, frisbee, baseball, ... how can anyone dislike all cardio??

*raises hand* I pretty much do! Except mountain hiking/skiing, which I can only do when I can make the 4-5 hr drive.

I still do it though, because I hate being out of shape more.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

*raises hand* I pretty much do! Except mountain hiking/skiing, which I can only do when I can make the 4-5 hr drive.

I still do it though, because I hate being out of shape more.

Ditto
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I'd probably bike or dance.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Right now, personal anxiety I've been dealing with that's set me back completely (I've exercised maybe three times in the past two months). And a bit of fear of leaving my comfort zone because I want to start using the rack rather than the Smith machine they have on the women's side of the gym.

I always recommend getting a personal trainer for at least one session to walk you through the machines and areas, and have you learn a routine. Just so you can become more comfortable. @malibu927

Oh, I'm fine with free weights, as I've done squats up to 20-pound dumbbells and 55 pounds on the Smith. It's going over to the weight room rather than what's on the women's side that intimidates me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Right now, personal anxiety I've been dealing with that's set me back completely (I've exercised maybe three times in the past two months). And a bit of fear of leaving my comfort zone because I want to start using the rack rather than the Smith machine they have on the women's side of the gym.

I always recommend getting a personal trainer for at least one session to walk you through the machines and areas, and have you learn a routine. Just so you can become more comfortable. @malibu927

Oh, I'm fine with free weights, as I've done squats up to 20-pound dumbbells and 55 pounds on the Smith. It's going over to the weight room rather than what's on the women's side that intimidates me.

Your gym has a men's and women's side?
  • shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    it's boring. the end.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

I will just leave this here old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron

@Numberwang22

Is there a particular reason that link links back to this thread?

probably because I suck at linking LOL
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

That's what I thought.

What is the difference? One side has pink weights?
    Does one side have weights that are 2kg less than what they are labeled as?

Seems a little odd to me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

When it took over for a recently-closed Ballys it had been a women's only chain, so they agreed to make it coed to take on people that had been stranded by Ballys, and have a section for women only. It's mostly cardio, weight machines, a bench, and weights up to 50 pounds.
  • arditarose
    Options

When it took over for a recently-closed Ballys it had been a women's only chain, so they agreed to make it coed to take on people that had been stranded by Ballys, and have a section for women only. It's mostly cardio, weight machines, a bench, and weights up to 50 pounds.

Ah okay...but that doesn't make the weight room a men's only room. I was just wondering because I had seen someone post before about their gym having separate male and female areas. Very odd.

I usually forget I'm the only woman in the weight room. I'm not thinking about my gender while I'm there, just lifting stuff.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

I get the benefits of lifting, I really do. And if someone loves it then more power to them! I just hate how pushy some people on mfp are about it..

Amen, sister.

• tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and resistance training. I will do 30 min on the street bike than 30 min on my stationary bike and 15 to 20 min of resistance. I bought a Total Gym, I can do a complete muscle workout in 15 to 20 min. As far as affording equipment, go on line, you can get used equipment at extremely low prices. So many buy equipment use it for a short time and than want to get rid of it.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love throwing on old clothes, heading outdoors to speed walk, not having any noise or chatter, it's mind-clearing to hit the pavement and not have to think about anything except moving. My gym feels stagnant and I get depressed walking in there, esp when it's nice outside. Guess I need to find a different gym this winter.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am a treadmill and hiking junkie. Weightlifting is hard for me because of my lower back. I eventually will start lifting again but I was able to lift so much easier when I took the weight off first. I do however use a exercise band on my treadmill and work on my arms while I am working on my legs.