Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks will look into those, just concerned I'll need to lift forever to maintain my lady-bulk!
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do weights and cardio, but honestly, the weights just aren't as enjoyable. I find them a chore, and the rests between sets are dead time that I find frustrating. Cardio though involves getting outdoors and running in the park. I'm engaged the whole time, and at the end, I feel good.

I still do weights because I don't want to lose muscle mass as I lose weight, but I can see why people may not bother with them...
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Like a few folks mentioned earlier, I run a structured lifting program 2-3 days a week in the off season to complement my sportsing (technical term), but when I'm full on triathlon training and racing, I just can't prioritize lifting.
    My plan gives me one day off a week, and I'm already doing 2 a days or brick workouts many days. Plus, being all sore and wobbly from DOMs would ruin the next day or two of workouts. I do some yoga, maybe a quick lifting session after a speed workout, but no way I could run SL 5x5 right now. All that being said, I LOVE deadlifts.

It can be frustrating at times that the party line on MFP is "minimal cardio, pick up heavy stuff" as the only way to improve body composition. It's like people think all cardio exists in a vacuum that is only working your heart and doesn't improve the musculoskeletal system at all. I've seen quite a few people say "cardio doesn't build muscle." Most of the muscles I've gained in my legs are a result of cycling, same for my shoulders and swimming. Most cardio, except maybe the elliptical turned to the lowest possible setting, necessarily involves a decent degree of resistance. Resistance builds muscle. Running also does incredible things to improve bone density.

To each their own, I suppose. There's no One True Way™ to becoming fitter.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of squats and anything involving legs, due to an old LCA injury I had, I step funny (but that's okish now,thanks pronation support tennis shoes!! ) and my non injured leg gets tired a bit more...but my coach was super and I did some special mini training and now I can squat and deadlift and leg press all I want yay!!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    On a related note...can you reduce bodyfat and strengthen muscles by doing other types of strength training besides lifting? i.e. Bodyweight exercises and resistance training? I mean, I know you won't get as much result as lifting, but are these a good alternative if injuries or other issues keep you from lifting?

Right now I am using machines for a few reasons, one of which is having a chronic pain disorder and wanting to build some preliminary strength to help reduce the potential for injury when I eventually get to free weights (in a couple of weeks). I am getting strength progress on machines and my balance has greatly improved, which was one of my concerns. No injuries or unusual pain. I think you should do what you can do and then reassess. I feel that starting with machines has been very beneficial in my case despite free weights being preferable.

Also, I would much rather do resistance training than cardio. I hike quite a bit, but I wouldn't do cardio in the gym unless I were forced by the weather. I find gym cardio really boring. I'm really looking forward to the free weights.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Cleanliness...having had the opportunity to be on the cardio machines watching a few people on the free weights and machines. Nasty nasty nose pickers.

Rudeness... Waiting for machines while others are sitting or talking on them. Moving water bottles off the benches.

Dumb trainers.

I know that this is a very few people doing this but it only takes one in a gym to ruin the experience. I really love my workout time and don't like to spend it dirty, rude and dumb.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There isn't a decent gym within walking distance, traffic can make going to a decent gym 3xs a week a PITA, and I don't have the space or money to invest in a home gym.

I did startbodyweight until a car accident in January forced me to stop, then a lot of high rep / low weight and resistance band training my PTs approved, and now I'm giving Body By You a shot and will move onto YAYOG when I finish.

I would like to lift though. I loved when we were allowed to enter the weight room in PE.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I find most weight lifting boring. I have to keep thinking the same things - counting reps, tracking time, checking form, rechecking form. When I'm walking, I can think about whatever and be good. The other factor is the weight lifting I don't find boring, I can't do at home.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Lifted weights for 4 months straight. Hated every stinkin' minute of that crap. I stopped.

Have done cardio consistently for 4 YEARS. Love every minute of it. Never gonna stop.
  • mathom31
    mathom31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you should look into New Rules of Lifting for Life...it is geared towards people with physical limitations and has a lot of work arounds.

Thank you. Sounds like what I need.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't because
    1) I don't really find any sort of interest in it
    2) It's not really the cost of the 5-15lb weights you can get at the store, I just don't want to spend $$ on it
    3) I don't belong to a gym
    4) I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists, and knowing me, I would screw something up. I type all day at my job, and I have to make sure that I don't lag. I just really don't want to hurt myself, and I'm very pain prone.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

I will just leave this here old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron

@Numberwang22
  • delboyholmes123
    delboyholmes123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5xytb5fop1tn.jpg
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Started as cardio junkie because the gym I was going to at the time, the men STARED at me when using the weights - both good and bad stares. They would always try to excessively hit on me. The employees were rude and would talk about you if you were not perfect or asked any questions. It was very uncomfortable and not needed, I hated going there in general.

Now I go to a great gym and the guys/employees are really nice, I can't imagine going to gym without hitting the weight room! Love my new little muscles showing through :) Love both cardio and weights now.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use two 8-pound hand weights while I'm on my treadmill (they were free with my treadmill) , but other than that, I don't because I loathe the idea of going to a gym. Maybe next year I'll get some kind of weight machine or set or something but can't afford it right now.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely terrified of hurting myself
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym currently, and have anxiety over injuring myself because I have to be able to work.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

However, I can see two big issues:

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.
    That is soooo not true. My first time in gym and I had no ideal what to in the weight area, I had men come and help me out, how to do forms, etc.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Because I have too many limitations after surgeries (shoulder and knee) to find a good special snowflake routine. I could agonize over lists and list of exercises to find a few that don't require kneeling, squats, or supporting my weight with my arms.... or I could just get on the bike for a while.

you should look into New Rules of Lifting for Life...it is geared towards people with physical limitations and has a lot of work arounds.

Thank you for this information.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

That's funny--I feel as though weightlifting is more sustainable long-term than cardio.