Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's so smelly in there, I could smell it far outside the room. but i will try when i get someone to help me xD I dont wanna do it incorrectly
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1. I ditched my gym membership back in May.
    2. I'm intimidated!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

Whoa, I would think twice about doing crossfit if you have bursitis and scoliosis... lifting heavy for time and reps seems like it would be a really bad idea, in that case. I mean I don't know what "scaling" means in that context but still...

I actually really like lifting, but can't do much with it right now bc of some injuries, doing mostly bodyweight stuff until I can.

Before I tried it, I thought it was the definition of absurdity (like someone said, "pick crap up just to put it down again, seems pointless"). But once I had a go, I found there was something weirdly satisfying in whatever feelings were happening in the muscles used. I hope I'm able to do it again soon.

I've been wondering about this. I'm gonna go talk to a crossfit gym or two and then evaluate whether or not this is for me.

On a related note...can you reduce bodyfat and strengthen muscles by doing other types of strength training besides lifting? i.e. Bodyweight exercises and resistance training? I mean, I know you won't get as much result as lifting, but are these a good alternative if injuries or other issues keep you from lifting?

I think there's a limit to what can be achieved, if you have issues that prevent you from doing the gymnastic maneuvers constituting advanced bodyweight progressions - there does have to be an increase in challenge to the muscles for them to grow (or stay the same with weight loss). I think it's certainly possible to get somewhere better than would otherwise be the case, though. Ways to increase difficulty without using weights include going more slowly (using "time under tempo"), pausing at different points in the movement, doing single leg exercises, and using resistance bands and the cable machine with carefully chosen exercises.

+1 for getting input from a physiotherapist, for sure!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    2 main reasons.

1) I don't know what I'm doing with more than 10lb weights in my hands
    2) I don't want to get injured

I do strength training twice a week anyway, but I love to run so I mostly do that. It's what keeps me active and motivated.
  • howndogfossr
    howndogfossr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Reasons I don't lift weights:
    1. I don't have and can't afford a gym membership
    2. If I could afford a gym membership, I'd never lift weights there because I hate it. Lifting heavy stuff, in my opinion, sucks.

• tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2 main reasons.

I do strength training twice a week anyway, but I love to run so I mostly do that. It's what keeps me active and motivated.

I love cardio for a million reasons, but you're more likely to get injured from cardio-related overuse than you would from a sensible resistance training program using good form.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    2 main reasons.

I love cardio for a million reasons, but you're more likely to get injured from cardio-related overuse than you would from a sensible resistance training program using good form.

Maybe I should have said "don't want to get injured due to my incompetency", lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because I have too many limitations after surgeries (shoulder and knee) to find a good special snowflake routine. I could agonize over lists and list of exercises to find a few that don't require kneeling, squats, or supporting my weight with my arms.... or I could just get on the bike for a while.

you should look into New Rules of Lifting for Life...it is geared towards people with physical limitations and has a lot of work arounds.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Reasons I don't lift weights:
    1. I don't have and can't afford a gym membership
    2. If I could afford a gym membership, I'd never lift weights there because I hate it. Lifting heavy stuff, in my opinion, sucks.

I thought this, too, until I went in with a plan. Now, I can't imagine my workout without it :)

• RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I tried it, got really intimidated so I stopped. Moved house/gyms, tried it again (actually got one of the guys at the gym to show me the proper way etc), lifted weights for a couple of weeks but it practically bored me to tears. So I went back to swimming, running and yoga. Much happier now :)

I get the benefits of lifting, I really do. And if someone loves it then more power to them! I just hate how pushy some people on mfp are about it..
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

They will all scale (crossfit is for every body type) and, although the co-owners can't do gluten and one can't do dairy, there are very few mentions of paleo and gluten-free. We bring lettuce for cookouts and other people buy the buns because some of us can't do gluten or choose not to consume it and the majority prefer to keep wheat around.

I was honestly just scared of getting hurt and that kept me away from weightlifting for a very long time. I found that kettlebells were a nice middle ground and that was fine for a while. I've always run a lot but just got burned out and decided I needed a change because I was bored and always injured. Now I rarely run and prefer CrossFit.

Edit: I love my road bike but I'm terrified of the drivers here in Albuquerque and I'm not a fan of peddling up the steep incline to get back onto the mesa. I really enjoy cycling along the river but I really hate the end where I have to put my bike back onto the roof rack of my SUV because I'm so short by comparison.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    2 main reasons.

Maybe I should have said "don't want to get injured due to my incompetency", lol.

Haha, yeah fair enough, I hear you :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

However, I can see two big issues:

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.

dumbbells might just be the filthiest thing on earth

Doubt it. How About The Credit card machine stylus and keypad at the pharmacy pick up?

Or money, or public restroom floors.

Should have also mentioned the kids ball pit at McDonald's etc. Talk to the poor kid that has to clean it out about what he finds.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't weight train as I don't have time to get to a gym and the cost of having free weights at home is somewhat prohibitive. Instead my preference is resistance bands, using Bodylastics bands, their door harness system and exercise routines on LiveExercise.com. In my 3rd month now and I feel much much stronger with noticeable muscle definition already.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried it, got really intimidated so I stopped. Moved house/gyms, tried it again (actually got one of the guys at the gym to show me the proper way etc), lifted weights for a couple of weeks but it practically bored me to tears. So I went back to swimming, running and yoga. Much happier now :)

I get the benefits of lifting, I really do. And if someone loves it then more power to them! I just hate how pushy some people on mfp are about it..

Haha. No kidding.

I like this thread. Doesn't make me feel like an oddball anymore. So I won't have a super hot body. Who cares. I'm 37 and I have stretch marks and a ton of loose skin anyway... and I'm definitely not weak.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I work more on athleticism so bulkling is not good. I do general strength and conditioning for agility and movement.

Bulking is a myth! Really, it does not happen to women.

Well, aside the fact I am a guy, and girls CAN bulk, what I am referring to is adding mass/weight from adding muscle. I play tennis and in my sport being "light" on your feet is a fact more than just a saying. Lighter gives more agility and less stress on knees and joints that can be subject to a lot of stress. At 46, the more weight I keep off the better off my knees feel. I CAN bulk just fine and I am actually quite stocky as a tennis player. It is a better goal to work motion mechanics, agility, and flexibility, and really only work sport specific motion muscles with weights. General lifting like squats, bench, lats, etc still happen, Just not much.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I HATE cardio, although it's a necessary evil. Lifting rocks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't have access to heavy things to lift. That's the only reason.

I do. ME.
    I go through gym phases and not gym phases. My not gym lifting is pretty good!

Pull ups (of sorts), push ups, planks, side planks, dips, squats, lunges, pilates...
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

Do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and some kettlebells. You'll do just fine at 60, @numberwang22