Options

Replies

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Right now, personal anxiety I've been dealing with that's set me back completely (I've exercised maybe three times in the past two months). And a bit of fear of leaving my comfort zone because I want to start using the rack rather than the Smith machine they have on the women's side of the gym.

I always recommend getting a personal trainer for at least one session to walk you through the machines and areas, and have you learn a routine. Just so you can become more comfortable. @malibu927

Oh, I'm fine with free weights, as I've done squats up to 20-pound dumbbells and 55 pounds on the Smith. It's going over to the weight room rather than what's on the women's side that intimidates me.

@malibu927 Squat rack, bench press, etc. are still free weights. The PT is still recommended. Learn the form from them, and you'll rid that intimidation. You have to understand, everyone had to start at the beginning. Suck it up, and you'll be totally fine in no time.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I lifted for about the last 20 years, on and off - and I was pretty good at it, too, it agreed with me for awhile. I also have done running here and there, but not with the dedication I have now (currently 30+ miles a week, two 10k races under my belt and a half-marathon scheduled for July).

Over the last couple years, I've dealt with a chronic bulging disc (neck), recurrent back spasms (lower back compression fracture from years ago), and the onset of arthritis in my left shoulder. I've now basically soured on weights - my upper body feels cursed of late, so I'm avoiding it because I'm sick of chronic pain and I want exercise that doesn't cause me muscoluskeletal degeneration.

So, I've thrown myself into long-distance running in a way I never have before, which seems to suit me just fine - my lower body seems to be plagued with none of the problems of my upper body, and yes, running is a great way to pad my calorie allotment for the day. It also feels good. It's my meditation, it's my "me" time.

I might get back into strength training again in the future, but probably only after consulting with a body mechanics consultant or personal trainer first - too much time spent in doctors offices over the last three years, too many pills, too much physical therapy, no thanks.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Right now I'm 220 lbs and have a lot of chronic orthopedic injuries to work around. I have to be careful not to exacerbate my injuries just moving my own body weight around.

I'm hoping to get down below 200 lbs by walking, some swimming, and diet, then add bicycling (on a mag-trainer).

Why below 200 lbs before adding bicycling? Two reasons--

1) road-bike frames are designed with an engineering assumption of a rider of 200 lbs or less and I don't want to damage my bike and

2) have you tried sitting on even a women's road-bike saddle when you are this overweight? Ow!.

Once I'm below 180 lbs I might be able to add weight-lifting without hurting myself. But for now I don't want to get sidelined by reactivating an old injury.

I have a devinci hybrid I picked up last year at 220lbs. Currently 183, The frame is fine, but the seat yep, it is a little uncomfortable if we start out with a long ride when the bikes come out. Lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This post really is because I'm curious to read people's responses. Not to judge!

If you're a cardio lover and want nothing to do with weight lifting, Why is that? What turns you off of it? Have you tried it before and hated every minute of it?

I love both heavy weight lifting and cardio.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I want to, but I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish I could like cardio just like 25% as much as some of you guys.

Maybe you just need to try a different method. Basketball, hiking, biking, walking, running, skipping, jumping, tennis, handball, raquetball, swimming, frisbee, baseball, ... how can anyone dislike all cardio??

I'd probably bike or dance.

Both great for cardio.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I want to, but I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

I'd probably start with hand weight. Lower cost to get started, a lot of exercises you can do.

Like my local Kmart sell sets for like 40-50 that let you create weights up to I think 20kg each.

That way you can work out at home or anywhere really and if you don't like it you haven't spent 2000 on a home gym or 900 on a gym membership etc
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it in our apartment gym, I've tried it with equipment at home, with bodyweight only, in a class, in the free weight section, with the machines, alone, with a friend, with my husband, with a trainer

Have you tried it with a mouse? Or in a tree or on a house?

This literally made me laugh out loud. Now the whole clinic is looking at me ;)

I used to stay away from lifting, now I can't figure out why. I love it. I only do about an hour of cardio a week now to keep fat levels reasonable.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I didn't know where to start or how to start. I thought I'd might injure myself. The gym was intimidating. I thought I was still too heavy and should just focus on cardio and losing more weight first. Kinda looked boring. But I kept hearing about the benefits and how heavier people who started strength training wished they had started earlier in their weight loss journey.

So, at 180 lbs about a month ago, I started 5x5. I'm not bored because I'm focused on my form and breathing and I'm usually just doing light cardio and dynamic stretching between sets. I'm doing it at home. I think I should get a personal trainer for a few sessions and make sure I am doing these moves properly among other things. The kicker for me is the other night I was in the kitchen and I had braced my hands on the counter and without thinking about it, I lifted myself up easily and sat on the counter- and then I was like WTH. I just hoisted my body weight with little effort. I did it again but just held myself up for a little bit without sitting on the counter. Lol, it's the little things.
  • itsafatrose
    itsafatrose Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Because of medical conditions. Pelvic organ prolapse, vasovagal sycope and postural hypotension. I do fast paced but low impact cardio because that's what's safest for me.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I do both Cardio and weightlifting now, but i was a bit scared to do lifting before.
    Not because i thought i'd get massive muscles or anything, i was just scared of injuring myself.
    The funny thing is, i've had more ailments now that i've taken up running - than i have lifting heavy weights.
  • geehaejeong
    geehaejeong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

I also have scoliosis and am prone to back pains because of it. I started lifting couple months ago 1-2 times a week and it's completely gone. Dead lifts are amazing from scoliosis! I'd suggest starting light but you'd be surprised how quickly you'll be lifting heavier weights.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me.

Try TED talks. You can learn a lot on the web.

Also, that's why god invented competitive running. Definitely more to running than zoning out to a TV (although I definitely enjoy my TV on the treadmill).

• chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My physical limitations keep me from lifting free weights. I do resistance training on machines instead which is boring and doesn't quite work towards the results I know I could get if I were able to do compound lifting and/or use any machines that involve my feet, but it's good for me and really my only strength-training option. I am trying to work up to a pullup (many years ago I could do several), so that will be more fun once I get there.

Most of my exercise happens in the pool, but I have noticed that the more I work on those machines, the stronger swimmer I become, and that keeps me motivated.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    chaniluv wrote: »
    I don't do it simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford to buy my own weights. I can't afford to pay for a gym membership on top of the gas to get there and back on a regular basis. Right now it's summer, so I'd also have to pay someone to watch my daughter.

If I was more interested in getting tone than getting rid of my flab, maybe I'd look for a solution, but I mix in a little strength training in my exercises already; I don't need a lot of it where I'm at right now. Also, aerobics and walking are much more fun for me! I love dancing - always have - so dance aerobics are the most entertaining way for me to exercise. If I feel like doing something less intense, I really enjoy reading a book as I walk. I'm definitely a bookworm and reading while I walk not only keeps me interested in it longer but helps me ignore any weariness or irritation from the heat so I can keep at it longer.

The TL;DR is that weight-lifting would be more expensive, more time-consuming, and less fun for me.

A decent set (non-olympic) to start you off can cost as little as $0 if you pick it up off the side of the road. You can typically find them for cheap at thrift stores, or for a tiny bit more (say $200 for bench + bar + 200lb) on craigslist.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like weight lifting but I loooove running. I have a very limited amount of free time and what makes me happiest wins :) When I lift I just feel rushed that its cutting into the time I could have used for a run. One day when my kids/job/life are a little less demanding, I will probably lift 3 days a week. I have kettlebells etc at home and have a routine that I do maybe once per week.