Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I lift because I love it and I don't do much cardio because I spent too much time at the gym working with free wts and machines. I need to plan my workouts better, because I get better results with 30 minutes of cardio/day rather than the 10 or 15 minutes that I do now. My only regret is that I can't lift, (OHP, bench press,squat or dead lift, etc.) as much as I used in my younger years. So 3x5 and 5x5 workouts are not too efficient for me because I can't do progressive overload. I don't have a partner or anybody to spot me, my gym doesn't have a squat rack, and I don't like to squat with the Smith machine. I have knees and shoulders limitation so I need to be careful and workout in a smart way so I can keep going rather than taking time out due to an injury. Because the OA in both of my knees (in need of knee replacement), I can't jog or run or walk in the treadmill, but I love the ARC Trainer and the elliptical or stationary bike, to some extent. I don't like swimming but I do get in the pool in the summer and exercise my legs (laps) holding to the board. I also take Pilates, yoga and barre classes, and occasionally JM videos; but some of her cardio movements are to high intensity for me. We are all different, and I think that as long as we exercise and do what we like, our body will appreciate it. By the way, I am 71 years old.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Wait until you can see what you can do to the body to transform it and you will be hooked on the weightlifting.. Rather you do it at home or in a gym.. your preference. Many many many topics, how to's, and education on how to lift, proper form, and nutritional needs to lift weights all over the internet, your friends and family... I started lifting at home and was able to get the basics down before embarrasing my self in public... I still love to lift at home...

Bulking for woman takes a couple of years .. and for a serious bulker at that..

But results can be seen shortly especially as a newbie lifter... Starts seeing results this fast (actually sometimes faster than weight loss progress) and your are hooked... on the strength, fitness and yes looking good naked...

The cardio is for cardio vascular health and yeah... having a good calorie burn that day.. I still do 1 day of elliptical and run/walk several times a week...

As for weight loss, you can never out exercise your diet... CHoose what suits you.. lift and cardio, or just lift or just do cardio... it's all good for you...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    I do a little of both and so far so good in terms of weightloss and getting/keeping some definition. My question on weights though and progressively doing more is whether it's sustainable in the long term.... I mean when I'm 60 I'm not sure I want to be lifting huge weights to maintain!

I will just leave this here old-broads-the-golden-years-of-pumping-iron

@Numberwang22

Is there a particular reason that link links back to this thread?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't feel like it. Maybe someday I will, But not today.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I'd like to, but I'm all tangled up in a combination of anxiety and mistrust.

I was in a really bad motorcycle wreck in my late 20s, and it pretty much destroyed my shoulder, wrist, hip, knee, and ankle, all on my right side. After a lot of surgeries, pins, plates, screws, physical therapy, generally working my behind off and working just as hard to manage the pain, I don't think you'd be able to tell now that any of that ever happened to me.

But I don't want to risk throwing my right/left mobility off balance after working so hard to normalize it, and I don't trust most trainers to have any idea of how to help me do it right without messing things up. So I just avoid doing anything other than lifting light weights.

I still wish I could lift, though. I think it'd be good for a lot of reasons.

I bet a good PT or degreed trainer/athletic coach would be able to help you incorporate more into your workouts. Probably even something's that would be helpful for your situation.

Either way, though-good for you for pushing through all of that! It sounds intense.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    When I was going to the gym I would use the machines fine but free weights always seemed to be used.

Wasn't sure on the etiquette to shotgun next turn :smiley:

Now I have weights at home, trying to get back to it after a few weeks.

I think with cardio it's just easy to jump on a treadmill and have a decent idea of the calories burned. But strength calories seem to wishy washy. Uncertain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wish I could like cardio just like 25% as much as some of you guys.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    TL;DR entire thread. I strongly suspect that lots of people don't for a number of reasons. One is bad attitudes in gyms. I know many lifters who would gladly help a newbie, but I know many who look down their nose and make it hard on newbs. I am sure self confidence - hard to be the newbie when big powerful people are walking around you. They may not be judging you, but it is darn hard to get those demons out of your head sometimes. I also think some people see free weights as only for getting huge hulk like muscles when the truth is that getting that big takes a long time and very specific approach. General lifting won't do that. I also suspect fear of the weights themselves. It can be darn intimidating to lift big weight the first time. The obvious solution is to get lift light with spotters/coaches so you can build confidence while getting technique correct. Last, I suspect it is just plain boring for some folks - no 'runners high' so to speak.

All that said, I love free weights, but there are exercises I just hate. I try to keep it fresh and fun so I do more dynamic things with medicine balls and baseball bats and kettlebells as fun follow up to the moves I don't like (abs anyone?). I also have a heavy bag and speed bag I can spar with as something else to do. My point is that free weights don't have to be just squats, deadlifts, and bench press. You can stress muscles for strength in many ways. In fact, everyone has to change up the routine from time to time because the muscles adapt very well to the stress of any single exercise (and you can't just keep adding weight). You have to alter the stress from time to time. "Muscle Confusion" anyone? Nothing novel with that idea - it was just marketing.)

At the end of the day, there are plenty of ways to build strength and muscle. Free weights is just one. People have to find what works for them.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

However, I can see two big issues:

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.

I go to a pretty meathead gym, I've never experienced any type of chauvinism.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I honestly find it boring. I'm really not all that into exercise in general, but it's a lot easier to push through a cardio routine. It's not the same thing, but I lift 50-60 lb dogs by myself pretty routinely at work. I'm constantly having to bend down to pick large dogs up and put them on the table. That's my strength training lol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

QFT! Amen!
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I don't "enjoy" cardio as such. What I enjoy is being able to listen to my podcasts and Zombies Run! etc when I'm doing cardio. I prefer being outside to being in the gym as well, which makes cardio more appealing. Though I do genuinely enjoy the "post run" high that I get, that I don't experience with lifting...
  • arditarose
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »

I don't "enjoy" cardio as such. What I enjoy is being able to listen to my podcasts and Zombies Run! etc when I'm doing cardio. I prefer being outside to being in the gym as well, which makes cardio more appealing. Though I do genuinely enjoy the "post run" high that I get, that I don't experience with lifting...

But you find something you like about it and keep it up. I hate it so much I have literally done it two times in 3 months.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    But you find something you like about it and keep it up. I hate it so much I have literally done it two times in 3 months.

True, but I keep doing weights as well, even though they don't really having elements I enjoy... Weights I do purely for practical reasons...
  • arditarose
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »

True, but I keep doing weights as well, even though they don't really having elements I enjoy... Weights I do purely for practical reasons...

Yeah. I mean lifting completely transformed my body. Cardio is great for health, and would probably help me in my deficit a bit. I'd like to do it once or twice a week at least.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Right now, personal anxiety I've been dealing with that's set me back completely (I've exercised maybe three times in the past two months). And a bit of fear of leaving my comfort zone because I want to start using the rack rather than the Smith machine they have on the women's side of the gym.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Right now, personal anxiety I've been dealing with that's set me back completely (I've exercised maybe three times in the past two months). And a bit of fear of leaving my comfort zone because I want to start using the rack rather than the Smith machine they have on the women's side of the gym.

I always recommend getting a personal trainer for at least one session to walk you through the machines and areas, and have you learn a routine. Just so you can become more comfortable. @malibu927
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of weight lifting. In fact, the class I'm going to at the gym at work tomorrow is my weekly weight class. :smile: BUT, I think what's important to know is that you don't necessarily need all the fancy weights to have an effective "weightlifting" experience. I say this because bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, burpees, planks, etc... can have the same effect as exercises with weights. Being able to lift your body and move it around is important. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like doing a deadlift or swinging a kettle bell around, but if you are looking to just get started, start with your own bodyweight first. My arms burn and struggle doing mountain climbers as much as they do with shoulder presses.

With that in mind, I suggest Googling the difference between cardio and weightlifting when it comes to after burn. There are lots of studies out there saying that the amount of calories your burn after lifting weights lasts longer than cardio. I'm a firm believer that cardio alone won't get me the results I want. I honestly have a good mixture between cardio, weight lifting, and high intensity training throughout my week. I think having this balance works best for me because I'm not just stuck with one activity...it's keeps things interesting and I believe I will have toned arms, legs, and abs as I get closer to my goal.