Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

But that's 35 hours a week kid-free ( while they're at school). That's such a luxury! Most people work that (at least) then come home to be with their kids with no breaks all. I wouldn't call that 'always being with my kids' and would say you have plenty of time for hiking etc when your kids aren't around.

I don't go hiking alone. There's nowhere close enough that I could go and have a good hike and be back in time to pick them up unfortunately.

Went completely over your head, didn't it? I was pointing out that you have a huge amount of alone, kid-free time to do whatever you want with compared to most people. You're very lucky.

ETA I only like cardio if it has a personal challenge (to run faster or a longer distance each time, or to win a tennis match for example) I think that's why I still prefer weightlifting, because you go up in weight every time ( or you fail, de load and work your way back up again). There is always a goal

Ok and what's the relevance to this thread? I'm shaking my head.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    because i'm a honey badger and i do what i want.
  • Francl27
    Options
    because i'm a honey badger and i do what i want.

WORD.

82457-I-do-what-I-want-gif-Loki-HzZf.gif
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hey! ^^^ that was my 2000th post! alright! :blush:
  • chaniluv
    chaniluv Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A decent set (non-olympic) to start you off can cost as little as $0 if you pick it up off the side of the road. You can typically find them for cheap at thrift stores, or for a tiny bit more (say $200 for bench + bar + 200lb) on craigslist.
    I haven't been lucky enough to find any lying on the side of the road and $200 is still way too much to pay for something that I don't really need. All my spare money is going into home renovations at the moment and, like I said, lifting weights is significantly less fun for me anyway.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Because I have too many limitations after surgeries (shoulder and knee) to find a good special snowflake routine. I could agonize over lists and list of exercises to find a few that don't require kneeling, squats, or supporting my weight with my arms.... or I could just get on the bike for a while.

you should look into New Rules of Lifting for Life...it is geared towards people with physical limitations and has a lot of work arounds.

Thank you! This does look interesting. As I happen to be female, I was actually considering The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Does anyone happen to know if this book also offers workarounds?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it in our apartment gym, I've tried it with equipment at home, with bodyweight only, in a class, in the free weight section, with the machines, alone, with a friend, with my husband, with a trainer

Have you tried it with a mouse? Or in a tree or on a house?

http://www.iamprojectx.com/collections/green-plates-and-ham
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    More weights for me... :)
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I want to, but I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

http://startingstrength.com/

They KEY is starting lighter than you think you have too. There is no real cost to starting too light with compound lifts other than a short amount of time.

There is a huge cost to starting too heavy.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I started doing cardio and strength training at about the same time after being an overweight couch potato for most of my life -- I'm currently doing StrongLifts 5x5 and running with a little stationary cycling mixed in -- have done Bikram yoga in the past, and plan to add spinning in the near future. All exercise has benefits and mixing it up will help maximize the total benefit to my body.
  • Francl27
    Options
    chaniluv wrote: »
    A decent set (non-olympic) to start you off can cost as little as $0 if you pick it up off the side of the road. You can typically find them for cheap at thrift stores, or for a tiny bit more (say $200 for bench + bar + 200lb) on craigslist.
    I haven't been lucky enough to find any lying on the side of the road and $200 is still way too much to pay for something that I don't really need. All my spare money is going into home renovations at the moment and, like I said, lifting weights is significantly less fun for me anyway.

I looked at some point too and there was nothing on Craigslist. So I had to buy my dumbbells new, and that was expensive enough.

This thread is typically MFP though. No matter how people say they don't want to do it because they don't like it, there are still people coming and saying how much they love it and how people should get started.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    chaniluv wrote: »

I looked at some point too and there was nothing on Craigslist. So I had to buy my dumbbells new, and that was expensive enough.

This thread is typically MFP though. No matter how people say they don't want to do it because they don't like it, there are still people coming and saying how much they love it and how people should get started.

I disagree... Don't lift. Leave all the weights to me and stay out of the weight area.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find that what a lot of us think about when we think of cardio is boring. Getting on a machine and zoning out to the TV or phone for an increasingly longer period of time (as you get fitter) just is not interesting to me. I think the key to cardio not being boring for some of us is being invested in what we are doing. I don't ever think, "OK, I'm going to go do some cardio now and that will be really fun," but I fit hiking in wherever I can. I think I find resistance training generally enjoyable because I have to be invested in it when I do it -- thinking about my form and pushing through the next rep. I've also been a weakling my whole life, so I get a lot out of progressing to the next level and seeing that translated to my life.

That's the funny thing I think... I have two kids. I'm pretty much always with my kids, unless they're in school. Being able to zone out and mindlessly listen to my music and/or play Solitaire on the treadmill for an hour is bliss. Or go for a walk outside or something (I can't run anymore), but then I keep thinking that I'd burn more calories at the gym with an incline so unless it's really beautiful outside I haven't done that much lately. Love hiking but with my kids it's horrible

sarahpinhal.com/

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but just some perspective and food for thought . . .
    She has 4 kids . . . under the age of 10. Now she owns her own gym, but she used to work just like anyone else when she started the figure competition.
  • Francl27
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but just some perspective and food for thought . . .
    She has 4 kids . . . under the age of 10. Now she owns her own gym, but she used to work just like anyone else when she started the figure competition.

Ok what am I missing? I never said that I use the kids as an excuse not to lift. I said I don't lift (much) because 1) I don't like it, 2) you can't use the rack at the gym without a trainer, 3) I love cardio because I can zone out, which I can't do when I lift.

I'm just kinda confused why my post has brought up posts about the kids, when it really wasn't the point of my post.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

sarahpinhal.com/

Good job not judging.

Most of us lifters make as many excuses about cardio anyway.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

sarahpinhal.com/

Ok what am I missing? I never said that I use the kids as an excuse not to lift. I said I don't lift (much) because 1) I don't like it, 2) you can't use the rack at the gym without a trainer, 3) I love cardio because I can zone out, which I can't do when I lift.

I'm just kinda confused why my post has brought up posts about the kids, when it really wasn't the point of my post.

Well you previously mentioned so much of your time is consumed with your kids . . . so it was just something interesting to review - that's it, that's all, a different perspective on things.
  • acorsaut89
    edited July 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

Good job not judging.

Most of us lifters make as many excuses about cardio anyway.

It wasn't meant as a she can do it, what's your excuse? kind of post - I don't do a whole lot of lifting (as is evident by my picture), just started this year.

It was more just saying a different perspective on things.

Also - without starting anything so don't take it that way - a lot of people judge whether they admit to it or not
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

sarahpinhal.com/

Well you previously mentioned so much of your time is consumed with your kids . . . so it was just something interesting to review - that's it, that's all, a different perspective on things.

Actually, she mentioned she loved doing mindless cardio as a way to zone out and relax from the kids.
  • acorsaut89
    edited July 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

Actually, she mentioned she loved doing mindless cardio as a way to zone out and relax from the kids.

And says something like "the funny thing is I have two kids and I'm with them all the time except for when they're at school . . . and having an hour to myself is bliss" (or something along those lines).

Anyways - just a different perspective on things . . . that's it, that's all. I don't care if she wants to lift cheetos for 6 hours a day or run for 6 hours . . . it's her life, I just was giving a different perspective on how some people view the challenge of having kids and finding time to do their own thing.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

sarahpinhal.com/

And then goes on to say something like "the funny thing is I have two kids and I'm with them all the time except for when they're at school . . ." (or something along those lines).

Anyways - just a different perspective on things . . . that's it, that's all. I don't care if she wants to lift cheetos for 6 hours a day or run for 6 hours . . . it's her life, I just was giving a different perspective on how some people view the challenge of having kids and finding time to do their own thing.

Intentional or not-your post was unnecessary. She does make time to workout-she just does cardio bc she likes it and doesn't like lifting. Posting about some woman......who has kids and still did a figure show is not a "different perspective".