Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options
This post really is because I'm curious to read people's responses. Not to judge!

If you're a cardio lover and want nothing to do with weight lifting, Why is that? What turns you off of it? Have you tried it before and hated every minute of it?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    As a former cardio junkie I think it was easier to get on a dreadmill or elliptical and "burn of the calories". The weight room scared me and so I avoided it (plus there were some creapers in the gym I used to go to). When I did discover the awesomeness of lifting heavy things I am upset that I didn't get started sooner. I may do 1 hour of cardio per week now total, but I lift 4-5 days a week.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, because I know that I need to do so. I've done it since my teens, so it's just normal for me.

However, I can see two big issues:

1. Cleanliness--so few people practice proper hygiene! Weight rooms can be kind of disgusting.
    2. Chauvinism. In a lot of places, men very deliberately try to make women feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. Mostly, I lift more than these men...once they are put in their place, they leave me alone. You have to have a certain kind of personality and dedication to deal with that kind of crap though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like lifting at home. Going to a gym is extra time, money, and what azuvioleta6 said. At home I ca do my own thing and the kids often get involved which is a good bonus.

I have lifted very little over the last couple of years due to infammatory arthritis. I miss the results. It's empowering to be able to bounce my bicep around better than the men I know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do lift weights occasionally, mostly in Winter. I only have dumbbells that go up to 20 lbs though. I used to have a full set of weights when I was younger and lifted more regularly, but since we bought our farm I don't have the time or feel the need to lift except in Winter. I'm stronger and more muscular now than when I lifted.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I work more on athleticism so bulkling is not good. I do general strength and conditioning for agility and movement.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

I have worked out at multiple crossfit locations and the only one that pushed paleo was the most expensive! All the other gyms offered other things in addition to crossfit-strongman and bodybuilding, for example. I loved both of them.

I generally stay away from the 100% crossfit zealot-type places. But that's just been my specific experience.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It bores the heck out of me. Lift something up, put it down. Up, down. Up, down. Push the plate out with your feet. Let it come back on slowly. Out, in. Out, in.

Same thing, over and over. And you're just sitting or standing in the same spot. It's just so boring. And it's like I'm going nowhere.

I like to move. Even walking the same routes all the time gets boring, so they vary. My mind can wander while my body does, like when you drive, how your mind wanders and you end up at home but don't remember every mile you drove.

When I swim, I don't think. It clears my mind. It's all about just being in the water and pulling myself over (or through) it. I feel the water and all my muscles moving and working together, but there is no boredom. Every stroke is part of the one before had after it, so it's all connected and fluid.

I don't know if that really explains it. Maybe I can't explain it, but I tried. :)

...and I do do it. I just don't like it. :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Because I'm lazy. There are other reasons, such as bad back and still recovering from my neck muscles locking up a couple of years ago, but in all honestly, it's mostly because I'm lazy. I'm still struggling to get into the habit of walking twice a week. I have other things I enjoy doing a lot more than exercise, and it was only taking a class and finding an app I like to make it much less of a struggle.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I work more on athleticism so bulkling is not good. I do general strength and conditioning for agility and movement.

Bulking is a myth! Really, it does not happen to women.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Bulking is a myth! Really, it does not happen to women.

It is real. It is just a different bulk from what it looks like on men.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lift, but in my experience many people simply don't know what they're doing. It's really easy to jump on some cardio machine and go...a lot of people simply have no idea what they're doing in the weight room; this can make something that already is a bit intimidating that much more so.

A lot of people also just try to go it on their own rather than following an established program...beginners who do this end up spinning their wheels which is no fun...they don't really see any results from what they're doing and basically, they're just not doing it right...so no fun.

my wife never really liked lifting much until; 1) she got on a true program and followed it, which 2) started to get her results she'd never seen before. The real kicker for her was when she was doing some stuff around the house and she realized she was moving things around that she would have typically had to ask me to help with...when she started seeing that real world translation, that's when she got hooked and "addicted" to being strong.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it in our apartment gym, I've tried it with equipment at home, with bodyweight only, in a class, in the free weight section, with the machines, alone, with a friend, with my husband, with a trainer, and I hate it. Can't tell you why other than it bores me to death and I always end up thinking I've been there for an hour when it's only been fifteen minutes. It is not my thing and I get zero satisfaction from it.

I suffer through it whenever I can force myself because I don't want to have brittle old bones, but honestly, I'd rather hop on the treadmill, turn up the incline a bit, and totally zone out for 5K while I read an ebook or listen to an audiobook or something. Lately I've been running the stairwells in my apartment instead (I just go basement to penthouse and back down a few times, 100 floors up and 100 floors down total) and that works too if I have sufficient auditory distraction. I don't enjoy those things either or feel good about it afterwards, really, but at least I can use the time to enjoy a book or whatever while I'm doing it, so it doesn't feel quite as tortuous.

But I've never been into exercise. I just do it because it's good for me. I have pretty much tried it all and the only things I really enjoy are mountain hiking and skiing, both of which I can't do regularly enough to use as my primary form of exercise as I live 4-5 hrs drive from the mountains, so yeah. I'm lazy and I'd rather be in the kitchen making dinner or on the couch knitting a sweater and I no longer bother to make excuses for it.

For the record, I've never been technically overweight (at 5'4" my highest weight ever was 145 pounds), so it's nothing to do with that, even...I'm just a big old exercise Grinch.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like doing races, specifically triathlon. when i first got into the sport, i was mostly a lifter, albeit just getting started. i tried to incorporate strength training with my swimming, biking, and running, but i'd always sacrifice one of the cardio parts. now as my races are getting longer and i want to go faster, i don't lift anything heavier than my bike.

can strength training help me? yes, but not at the expense of my s/b/r. this winter, during my off season and pre-season, i'll be incorporating more strength workouts into my training, but as the season kicks off, i'll be phasing it out again.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmnwwg7oFs1qgmd19.gif

Seriously, it's page 1. We're not supposed to have clean on page 1. Please keep responses on topic and respectful to all users.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love cardio- love the way it makes me feel drained and clear-headed. I tried weight lifting but it makes me feel like crying. It's hard. I've got sod all upper body strength. I know i need to address this -but cardio=easy, weights= hard for me.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I love cardio- love the way it makes me feel drained and clear-headed. I tried weight lifting but it makes me feel like crying. It's hard. I've got sod all upper body strength. I know i need to address this -but cardio=easy, weights= hard for me.

Maybe it wouldn't be hard if you kept at it? :huh:
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a small gym in my apartment building, and I use about 5 of the machines. I wanted to graduate to some free weights and thought they had a selection... but they don't really. But I try to lift as much as I can with what is available.

That being said, I do have some weird weight lifting related anxiety from when I did go to a gym with free weights or even trying machines I'm unfamiliar with. I can read the description, but sometimes I'm not sure exactly how to do it. So, it makes you feel like an idiot in a room full of people when you don't know how to adjust the seat.

Of course, you can just go ask gym staff or even someone working out nearby for help, but the embarrassment factor is strooooooooong.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to weigh 340lbs - I was really big. I started doing cardio as a way to lose some weight before I started building muscle (I know there's mixed reviews/opinions/beliefs/research/etc about this - so not trying to debate, it's just what I did). Now I'm down to ~250lbs and I've been running since October 2014 (started losing weight in November 2012), training for 5 and 10K distances. In June of this year, I started doing cross training as a way to get better at running, which is my primary focus at this time.

So from my experience and opinion, some people may not lift or weight train because they have a lot to lose and cardio gives you more calories to play with each day whereas lifting does not. Also, in the beginning I was working on my diet and nutrition choices alongside starting to work out. With starting to cross train, my diet and nutrition needs have changed. If you have a lot to lose and you're figuring out the diet side of things then trying to eat to support a lifting routine which gives visible results can be really overwhelming. I know for me making the changes to nutrition which supports both running and lifting/cross training was hard for me and I've been at this for closing in on 3 years.

I'm not saying this is why for everyone, but from what I've learned about myself and my habits (as a formerly 300+lb person) I can see why people stick to cardio for so long: it just gives you more calories to play with for the day and when you're coming from a place where eating (and usually overeating, at that) is such a large part of your life you need to get that under control before you start lifting or looking for body recomp. Many people have said many times that you can't out exercise a bad diet - and you just can't. 70-80% of weight loss results comes from what you put in your mouth. And I've found that when I make poor nutritional choices (NOTE: this isn't good vs bad food, this is eating food that is not nutritionally sound with my fitness goals) my workouts suffer - my legs feel heavy, I am not motivated to push myself further; what I eat has a seriously profound effect on my workouts and I notice it. If you don't have the eating part down and you starting lifting (and you're looking for visible results) you're wasting time - lifting for results requires certain nutritional and diet choices that people who are obese or morbidly obese may not do or understand. I know I had to understand basic nutrition before getting into foods that support both running and lifting - it's a crucial aspect to long term weight loss success. You need to not just eat less than you burn with lifting, there is a nutritional aspect that comes into play if you want any kind of real results. This is where I believe the saying: give a man a fish, he will eat for today but teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Working with a registered dietitian has provided me with the knowledge to know and understand what I am putting into my body, what my body needs for working out, what I need for recovery, how I should structure my eating. I have started to look at food as fuel to keep me going, nothing more, and I have filled my life with other things. Eating used to be such a big deal for me, now it's more like oh it's 3pm time for snack # 2 . . . not oh man, can't wait for afternoon break to go get my apple fritter. It's a routine that I have and looking at food only as fuel has helped me to get over emotional eating.

When I was 340lbs, I was eating because I was sad, I was eating when I was happy, I was stressed so I ate, etc. It was really attached to how I feel. Now I allow my workouts to do that for me. And if you're just starting out, you may or may not have this mind set.

Again, just my thoughts on what I've learned from my experience. Not saying this is or isn't the reason some people don't lift but it's why I didn't cross train very much until this year; I really just didn't have the nutritional knowledge to support the goal I had in mind. Once I started working with a registered dietitian a lot more came together for me.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was a Div. I athlete in college so I had to lift weights for many years, or I'd be kicked off the team. I hated every second of it. It was miserable. Just thinking about having to go to the weight room depressed me. I've been a runner my whole life and that's what I loved doing...

I resisted weight lifting from the time I quit in 2002 until this year, actually. So, 13 years rejecting weight lifting and you wouldn't believe the strength I lost as a result!

Now that I'm doing it on my own time, my own pace, and my own program, I love it. I have cut down my cardio to 20 minutes max and focus mostly on weight lifting and I feel amazing!