Is this enough exercise a week to lose weight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. We are trying to help. Accurate logging is the key. Get a better scale. Log your food accurately and honestly. It WILL work if you do that consistently.

And don't have unrealistic expectations for yourself. You see it has black or white - either do everything perfectly or you give up. Give yourself some time to learn how to log.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Accurately log ... ensure you pick the right entries from the database ... go from there.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I give up on this..... :s

Dont give up. Its just a matter of being honest and accurate with everything you eat. Are you logging everything you eat in MFP? If so open your diary so we can see and advise what we see may be wrong. Someone may have asked this of you already, I dont know, i havent ready through all 4 pages.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Don't give up. It may seem complicated, but you're making it way harder than it needs to be. You've actually gotten really good advice in here and it's remained pretty much snark free, which is a bonus for you, because that never farking happens in these parts!

The best advice in this entire run has been accurate logging. Start there.
    1. Get a new scale: get a digital with a tare button. That will allow you to weigh multiple items in the same bowl, plate, spoon, etc.
    2. Weigh all solids with the scale. Measure liquids with spoons & cups (or fl. oz. with your nifty new digital scale!).
    3. Only use food database entries in which the nutritional values match a trusted source, like the USDA. You can make things easier and build commonly eaten meals and recipes using those verified entries.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

Don't give up. It may seem complicated, but you're making it way harder than it needs to be. You've actually gotten really good advice in here and it's remained pretty much snark free, which is a bonus for you, because that never farking happens in these parts!

The best advice in this entire run has been accurate logging. Start there.
    1. Get a new scale: get a digital with a tare button. That will allow you to weigh multiple items in the same bowl, plate, spoon, etc.
    2. Weigh all solids with the scale. Measure liquids with spoons & cups (or fl. oz. with your nifty new digital scale!).
    3. Only use food database entries in which the nutritional values match a trusted source, like the USDA. You can make things easier and build commonly eaten meals and recipes using those verified entries.

Yes, do this EVERY DAY (no days off or cheats) and you WILL lose weight. Good luck!
  • dmt4641
    Options
    Also you are aiming to eat at a 3.5 lb a week deficit. There is a reason 2lbs a week is the max. You are setting yourself up to lose muscle. You could eat closer to 1900 and still lose 2 lbs a week if your math is accurate.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Also you are aiming to eat at a 3.5 lb a week deficit. There is a reason 2lbs a week is the max. You are setting yourself up to lose muscle. You could eat closer to 1900 and still lose 2 lbs a week if your math is accurate.

I did several online bmr calculators and all of them are between 1731-1787. Just to clarify...that's how many calories I burn doing nothing? I got all mixed up on that
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    I'm not very good at understanding the calorie deficit. Maybe someone should do it for me lol. I have comprehending problems if you can't tell.
  • Datfittnesguy
    Datfittnesguy Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I did several online bmr calculators and all of them are between 1731-1787. Just to clarify...that's how many calories I burn doing nothing? I got all mixed up on that

Yeah thats how many calories you would burn buy basicly lying in bed all day. You can increase this by building muslce because muscle at rest can burn calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is the amount of calories you eat below your caloric. If you burn 3000 and you eat 2000, then your deficit is 1000.

Burned - Consumed = Deficit

If you eat more than you burn, the difference is a surplus.

• tincanonastring
    Options

Most calculators make you pick a weight goal (maintenance, -.5lb/week, -1lb/week, etc.), so it depends on what you chose.
    I'm not very good at understanding the calorie deficit. Maybe someone should do it for me lol. I have comprehending problems if you can't tell.

Use MFP instead of the other online calculators. Go to MyHome>Goals>View Guided Setup

Input your stats and weight goal. If you input "Maintain My Current Weight," the calorie total will be how much you can eat every day with no exercise and neither lose nor gain weight. If you'd like to PM me, I can walk you through it. Trying to do it in a forum setting would be laborious.
  • dmt4641
    Options
    Oh I see. Not a 1730 deficit. That's good. Mfp does the math for you if you put in your height weight age and activity etc. Just eat back about 1/2 of exercise calories because mfp over estimates burns. Read the stickies about accurate logging and you are ready to go.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If its too complicated understanding eating back exercise calories and all that just eat an exact amount of calories. 1900-2000 calories for a while and see if you lose weight, then keep it up. Just be sure you are honest with everything you eat and log everything you put in your mouth.
  • dmt4641
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    If its too complicated understanding eating back exercise calories and all that just eat an exact amount of calories. 1900-2000 calories for a while and see if you lose weight, then keep it up. Just be sure you are honest with everything you eat and log everything you put in your mouth.

I use this method. I used the scooby workshop calculator. I didn't like have high calorie days and low calorie days since I workout 4-5 days a week. I just eat the same amount every day.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

I use this method. I used the scooby workshop calculator. I didn't like have high calorie days and low calorie days since I workout 4-5 days a week. I just eat the same amount every day.

I'm still leery of the goal the Scooby calculator gives me even though everyone I trust on here swears by it. Logically, I know I can bump up to what it gives me, but I can't get my head past that scary high number!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

You have a Fitbit activity tracker. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat less than that, you will lose weight.

Set your goal to .5 lb. (a 250-calorie deficit) for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Then learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • dmt4641
    Options

I'm still leery of the goal the Scooby calculator gives me even though everyone I trust on here swears by it. Logically, I know I can bump up to what it gives me, but I can't get my head past that scary high number!

It has worked for me in weight loss and now in maintenance. I think my TDEE is actually 50 to 100 cals higher than the number. You can always adjust if needed. It does tend to run higher than some other calculator by a little bit.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh all my food...I probably need a different scale because mine only weighs in pounds and fluid ounces.

fluid ounces isn't something a scale will measure... unless you are only weighing water...

fluid ounce = volume
    ounce = weight
    weight = density x volume

so unless you have a scale that is also measuring density, then you probably are confusing your scale w/ something else. lol. get a new scale. MEASURE EVERYTHING. IT IS THE ONLY WAYYY!!! ;)
  • dontgiveup2319
    Options
    Someone helped me out on my calorie deficit. Thanks for everything though! :D