Pre-workout Recommendation

Options
Hi all!
I am looking for a good pre-workout drink to give me an extra boost prior to hitting the gym. I've been using C4 by Cellucor and I don't notice a big difference in energy, it just makes me itch.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Caffeine. Or cocaine.
  • mykidsrock76
    mykidsrock76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ha! I have a cup of coffee every morning but it doesn't do much. And I think I'll pass on the cocaine.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Caffeine. Or cocaine.
    Guess price point is the big factor here....
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ha! I have a cup of coffee every morning but it doesn't do much. And I think I'll pass on the cocaine.

Not into cocaine, huh? OK, well, in addition to caffeine, look into tyrosine and taurine. They are aminos intended to increase alertness. Taurine is one of the active ingredients in energy drinks such as Red Bull and Monster.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Not into cocaine, huh? OK, well, in addition to caffeine, look into tyrosine and taurine. They are aminos intended to increase alertness. Taurine is one of the active ingredients in energy drinks such as Red Bull and Monster.

This ^^^^

Caffeine pills are very inexpensive too. FWIW - pre-workout drinks are solely placebo effect which is good for many!

Myself, I workout at 4am so I NEED (personal preference) caffeine to workout!!!!
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    C4 or Evl- grape is my fave or watermelon- you can purchase at GNC or bodybuilding.com which is my favorite, they ship super fast!
  • tryingtogetfitforlife
    Options
    Try mr. Hyde i tried it and loved it b/c of the boost it gave me also the guy working at guaranteed nutrition said it's the strongest pre-workout out there
  • mykidsrock76
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Looks like a trip to Vitamin Shoppe or GNC is on my agenda tomorrow.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like the musclepharm assault. I recently switched to their newer musclepharm assault black, which doesn't have any propriety blends in it. Also it doesn't give you as much jitters and itchiness like other preworkouts
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be in the minority here, but what I've found works best pre-workout? A stupid Cliff Bar.

I've tried a few caffeine drinks, 5-hour energy, etc., and yet what works amazingly well for me is a simple protein/carb bar about 10-15 minutes before I lift.

I've been experimenting with this the past few weeks and so far it seems to do the trick better than anything else.

So I'm thinking, just fuel yourself right and you're could be good to go (without all the expense of a fancy drink).
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be in the minority here, but what I've found works best pre-workout? A stupid Cliff Bar.

I've tried a few caffeine drinks, 5-hour energy, etc., and yet what works amazingly well for me is a simple protein/carb bar about 10-15 minutes before I lift.

I've been experimenting with this the past few weeks and so far it seems to do the trick better than anything else.

So I'm thinking, just fuel yourself right and you're could be good to go (without all the expense of a fancy drink).

Simple carbs and a little bit of protein. I've read of body builders drinking Tang with whey protein in it.

• mykidsrock76
    Options
    I typically eat 2 hard boiled eggs and a banana before I hit the gym.

I really don't want to overthink this, as I have a tendency to do that.

Just want a little extra energy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »

Simple carbs and a little bit of protein. I've read of body builders drinking Tang with whey protein in it.
    Yep personally not touching the overpriced pre-workout caffeine shot.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like NO Xplode. It works for me. Not sure what's all in it.
  • SBragg11
    SBragg11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My go to is half a whole wheat bagel with 2 teaspoons of all natural peanut peanut butter and my supplements of course.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options

The fat in the egg yolks may be slowing down the digestion of their protein and the carbs from banana.

• mykidsrock76
    Options

The fat in the egg yolks may be slowing down the digestion of their protein and the carbs from banana.

So do you recommend just doing the egg whites?

• mykidsrock76
    Options
    sbragg11 wrote: »
    My go to is half a whole wheat bagel with 2 teaspoons of all natural peanut peanut butter and my supplements of course.

Good idea. I love peanut butter.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

In a scientific sense maybe, but in a practical sense makes no difference.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the Muscletech Shatter. It just wakes me up and gives a good tingle without making your heart jump through your chest, but much stronger than C4-and better than the C4 Extreme as well.