"exercise" for 250+ lbs people (100+ to lose)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    thegreatmd wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh... Such good suggestions. Gracias!!
    New music!! I haven't even been using music, Duh!
    Also, thanks to everyone who listed specific videos to look for on YouTube! Lord knows I don't want to waste 3 hours finding decent videos!!!
    So... Music suggestions? Do you walk to the beat, or just listen for motivation?

I just listen to my favorite music but you could probably also get downloadable audio books from your library.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2015
    dietstokes wrote: »
    The other thing I wanted to say was, no matter your size, you will have jerks who will yell mean things at you when exercising outside. I was just on a run the other day (I'm in the 130's which is a BMI in the 23's) and had people yell something along the lines of "run cow run". Those people are always going to be there. You can't control them. But you can control you. Don't let it get to you and keep on pushing yourself!

Yeah, I get way more negative feedback about my body now that I am only 20 pounds overweight instead of 110.

I guess now it's not obvious that I have health problems--I just look like a healthy person who is lazy. :)

You just have to do your best not to let it get to you.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    edited July 2015
    Also, thanks to everyone who listed specific videos to look for on YouTube! Lord knows I don't want to waste 3 hours finding decent videos!!!
    So... Music suggestions? Do you walk to the beat, or just listen for motivation?
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just listen to my favorite music but you could probably also get downloadable audio books from your library.

I am personally addicted to Spotify. If you have a smart phone, I recommend getting it and using that to listen to music. You can look up music, make playlists, and listen to playlists others have made. There are plenty of good workout playlists on there. The premium is $9.99/mo, otherwise if you just use the free version it just means you have to listen to your playlists on shuffle instead of being able to chose specific songs from them, and you have to put up with an occasional commercial.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    I started at 301 walking about 1 mile with several stops. A year and 94 pounds later I can walk several miles at a brisk pace with no stops. There are a lot of hilly streets in my neighborhood so I try to average 20 floors on my Fitbit per day. I also do some work on an elliptical trainer, but I prefer walking outdoors and get more "steps" that way. :) I do strength training 2-3x per week. I would swim laps if I had a pool nearby. Oh, I do Leslie Sansome Walk at Home DVDs sometimes too. They were hard at first but easier now and she has lots of variety and progressions.

Good for you for getting started! Keep at it and add a little bit of time or speed each week. You will know when you are ready to add more intensity or new exercises.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    ebbingfat wrote: »

I am personally addicted to Spotify. If you have a smart phone, I recommend getting it and using that to listen to music. You can look up music, make playlists, and listen to playlists others have made. There are plenty of good workout playlists on there. The premium is $9.99/mo, otherwise if you just use the free version it just means you have to listen to your playlists on shuffle instead of being able to chose specific songs from them, and you have to put up with an occasional commercial.

Everyone should spend their hard-earned $$ as they see fit, but...for me, Spotify is a heckuva bargain. I have more playlists than I can listen to!

I just wish Shuffle worked better. It seems to repeat songs a lot. Nonetheless, I recommend it a billionty times over Pandora. And of course over whatever new crapfest Apple just forced onto my phone which has NO shuffle function at all.

<And now, back to the actual thread>
  • Scorpi017
    Scorpi017 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    dietstokes wrote: »
    The other thing I wanted to say was, no matter your size, you will have jerks who will yell mean things at you when exercising outside. I was just on a run the other day (I'm in the 130's which is a BMI in the 23's) and had people yell something along the lines of "run cow run". Those people are always going to be there. You can't control them. But you can control you. Don't let it get to you and keep on pushing yourself!

Yeah, I get way more negative feedback about my body now that I am only 20 pounds overweight instead of 110.

I guess now it's not obvious that I have health problems--I just look like a healthy person who is lazy. :)

Isn't it disgusting how some people are?! My comeback for a jerk who said something like that to me one time was : "Whatever, I may be fat now but I'm doing something about it. You on the other hand, can't fix ugly!"
    It may not have been the best comeback of all time but I felt good when he didn't say anything after that :D
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    So clearly, at 290 I can not, and probably shouldn't even attempt, many of the "recommended workouts.". Yes, there's walking... And I've gotten on the bicycle (it's so fun to have people call you a fatass as they drive by), but what are y'all doing? I'm looking for some variety... Thanks!

Ive heard that just working out legs is the best workout to do, puts your body in a foot burning mode, maybe try working lower and upper body alternating with a steady cut back of food?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i started at 260 and walked, then joined a gym and do whatever i feel like.

60 pounds and 7 months later, i have better endurance and can last longer at the gym but i did the same things then as now.

you might like water aerobics type classes. I'm rather bored with my aqua zumba (too easy and not enough of a calorie burn for my tastes) but its a good place to start for those just beginning.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited July 2015

Another option is audio books.

I listen to books when I run. They keep your mind more engaged and active than simply music and makes the time fly by. I use the Overdrive app and download books from my local library. It's free!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Eve53 wrote: »
    I started with swimming at 300 pounds.

Then I added more walking, then weight lifting, then more intense cardio.

By 250, I was doing Zumba and keeping up just fine.

I have a question about your swimming. What Did you do? Just laps? I'm getting to a point where I can't do my speed walking because of a problem with my leg so I need to spend more time in the pool. All I do so far is laps, but is that enough?

Did you know you can walk in the pool? Also try deep water jogging running! Awesome burn. Just 20 minutes equals 2 land miles!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    1. Walking alot
    2. chris powells the workout (youtube vid 1, 2,3 its low impact for heavier persons I start with this)
    3. Leslie sansone walk away the lbs (youtube)
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    I started out at 299lbs doing Zumba, walking/jogging 3-5 miles, and doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I'm at 274 lbs now and I'm still doing all of those things. I'd say push yourself so you can find your limits; that's what I did. Because of that, I now know I can't do 30 Day Shred everyday yet- it's too tough on my joints. I can, however, do it twice a week.

And I'm sorry you've had to deal with idiots yelling insults at you. Use it for fuel. Let it motivate you. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    As for people calling you a fatass when you're out exercising, I know that feeling. I recommend investing in a nice pair of headphones, and just try to drown it out. I feel a lot less insecure when I've got music blasting in my ears and I get lost in my own little world.
    Music is good for other reasons, too. Helps pass the time. :)

That happened to me. Someone in a passing car on a busy road yelled something mean.

Don't let it get to you. The kind of people who say such nasty things - their opinions aren't worth worrying about. They're beneath you. They're beneath most of us. Also, know that such nastiness is born out of insecurity and unhappiness. Those people are trying to make themselves feel better, but it only works for a second. They are miserable. Fwiw.

Happy people don't yell nasty things at strangers. They just don't.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    As for people calling you a fatass when you're out exercising, I know that feeling. I recommend investing in a nice pair of headphones, and just try to drown it out. I feel a lot less insecure when I've got music blasting in my ears and I get lost in my own little world.
    Music is good for other reasons, too. Helps pass the time. :)

That happened to me. Someone in a passing car on a busy road yelled something mean.

Don't let it get to you. The kind of people who say such nasty things - their opinions aren't worth worrying about. They're beneath you. They're beneath most of us. Also, know that such nastiness is born out of insecurity and unhappiness. Those people are trying to make themselves feel better, but it only works for a second. They are miserable. Fwiw.

Happy people don't yell nasty things at strangers. They just don't.
    Agree. Them yelling something nasty to you says something about them and absolutely nothing about you. [made up statistic-->>] 99% of what other people do and say and do has nothing to do with you.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited July 2015
    Also, I've had obscenities yelled at me while walking on main roads. But you know what it is? People that do that stuff are SO jealous that you have the motivation to get out there and prove them wrong. IDGAF what people think of me. At least my fat *kitten* is doing something.
    Also, I wear a bikini, because IDGAF.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    I started practicing martial arts at 290.....(and 39 years old)I practiced for 6 years between 285 and the current 246. Don't let the number on the scale hold you back. Whatever kind of exercise you choose just start slow and increase as you start to get in better shape. As long as your Dr says you are safe to do so of course.
  • thegreatmd
    thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
    Also, I've had obscenities yelled at me while walking on main roads. But you know what it is? People that do that stuff are SO jealous that you have the motivation to get out there and prove them wrong. IDGAF what people think of me. At least my fat *kitten* is doing something.
    Also, I wear a bikini, because IDGAF.

How do I like this?!? Ha-ha.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Also I agree with everyone else who said swimming. It is the greatest exercise out there for people who have mobility issues.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Gym, and pool, are out. Too expensive for this job-seeker! I do have a fitbit. Sometimes it's more frustrating than motivating (an hour bike ride shows up as like 1,200 steps) but I'm on it. :)

I did just see a simple idea i might try; committing to x squats every time I take a bathroom break... Though I loathe squats.

Although it may be a long shot, check out what your local parks system has available. Most places, it probably won't be useful, but if you are lucky they might have pool and gym facilities for a very low price. I was delighted to discover that was the case in my area.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member

Podcasts are another great option. There are lots of them available for free online. I have an app on my phone called podcast addict that I listen to them through.

I like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I just started listening to Anderw Zimmern's (the Bizzare Foods guy) Go Fork Yourself and Alton Brown's Browncast.