Can I save my calories for later?

Options
Does anyone know if there's such a thing as "saving" up your calories? One of my girlfriends is throwing a Seafood & Booze Cruise this weekend and I just know I'm going to turn into a little piglet before the night is over. LOL! Can I cut cals this week and "save" them for Saturday night or am I just screwed? :D

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, I eat less Monday - Thursday so I can have more at the weekend if I'm off out
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. IMO, fluctuating caloric intake keeps your metabolism in check. /broscience
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    bonitabrooklynbomb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yep, I eat less Monday - Thursday so I can have more at the weekend if I'm off out

Thank you! Lobster and white wine is my weakness! I guess I need to figure out ahead of time how much I plan to indulge so I'll know how much to cut this week. I've been under my calorie goal everyday since Sunday so I should be okay I think.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Totally. I count my calories across the week do I 'bank' calories during the week so I can still eat out occasionally. Seafood and wine will be so worth it!
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Absolutely. IMO, fluctuating caloric intake keeps your metabolism in check. /broscience

Hey... There's something to be said for broscience! I'll take it! Thanks ;)
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    Totally. I count my calories across the week do I 'bank' calories during the week so I can still eat out occasionally. Seafood and wine will be so worth it!

Yes!!!! I'm way more excited about this than I should be! Lol!!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Thank you! Lobster and white wine is my weakness! I guess I need to figure out ahead of time how much I plan to indulge so I'll know how much to cut this week. I've been under my calorie goal everyday since Sunday so I should be okay I think.

I always "bank" calorie and I am a big proponent of it. It is much easier for me to stick to my deficit knowing I can eat more when I really want to.

For your event-keep eating under goal this week (a sensible amount-don't starve!) and try to get some extra exercise. Then on the booze cruise day I would eat to maintenance + your extra calories. This should give you a nice buffer-and you'll still have a deficit for the week-albeit a slightly smaller one. It's a special event-enjoy it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I go by weekly average, I eat around 1200 on weekdays and 2000-2500 weekend days. 55lbs gone says it seems to work!
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I always "bank" calorie and I am a big proponent of it. It is much easier for me to stick to my deficit knowing I can eat more when I really want to.

For your event-keep eating under goal this week (a sensible amount-don't starve!) and try to get some extra exercise. Then on the booze cruise day I would eat to maintenance + your extra calories. This should give you a nice buffer-and you'll still have a deficit for the week-albeit a slightly smaller one. It's a special event-enjoy it!

Thanks! My daily goal is 1470 with some pretty decent carb restriction. I've been eating between 1000 and 1200 and trying to burn at least 500 of that. I also haven't been eating those calories back. I feel good but MFP likes to tell me I'm not eating enough. Whatever... It's just for this week. B)
  • ragtopmama
    ragtopmama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself without feeling guilty!
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    I go by weekly average, I eat around 1200 on weekdays and 2000-2500 weekend days. 55lbs gone says it seems to work!

55 down!!! Yes!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! I'm 48 away from goal. ;)
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that this week - banking around 1000 calories in total to see me through a pizza meal out with my little nephews on Saturday, and a big family beach bbq on Sunday. I've already got the calorie numbers from the restaurant, but have no clue what Sunday's numbers will be, so I'm dropping 200 cals per day Mon-Fri, to see me through any eventualities. If I get to Sunday night still in deficit, I'll be very happy! I'm not missing the 200 cals per day, so I think I'm doing OK. Some of that's coming from exercise cals, so it's just a case of not eating them back. If I felt like I was starving myself, I'd definitely change tactics.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks! My daily goal is 1470 with some pretty decent carb restriction. I've been eating between 1000 and 1200 and trying to burn at least 500 of that. I also haven't been eating those calories back. I feel good but MFP likes to tell me I'm not eating enough. Whatever... It's just for this week. B)

why would you do that? its not healthy, sustainable, or necessary to lose weight.
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    I'm doing that this week - banking around 1000 calories in total to see me through a pizza meal out with my little nephews on Saturday, and a big family beach bbq on Sunday. I've already got the calorie numbers from the restaurant, but have no clue what Sunday's numbers will be, so I'm dropping 200 cals per day Mon-Fri, to see me through any eventualities. If I get to Sunday night still in deficit, I'll be very happy! I'm not missing the 200 cals per day, so I think I'm doing OK. Some of that's coming from exercise cals, so it's just a case of not eating them back. If I felt like I was starving myself, I'd definitely change tactics.

Oh yes. If I start to feel super hungry all bets are off! Lol
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    ragtopmama wrote: »
    Enjoy yourself without feeling guilty!

<3;)<3
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I was going to respond that on the MFP app you have the option to look at your calories over a week's time instead of daily (although I don't think the math is working at the moment), and that your weekend plans sound awesome!

However, I think you are being pretty aggressive with creating that additional buffer, based on the numbers you posted above. It's really not healthy to net less than 1000 cals, which is what you are doing if you aren't eating back those exercise calories. The last thing you want is to run yourself down so much that you don't enjoy the event, because you are tired, sick, etc.

If it were me I would try to net 100-200 cals less than your goal in the days leading up to the event, which would give you an extra 500-1000 cals to work with that day. I would also consider that if you are set to lose 1 lb/week, you already have a deficit of 3,500 cals built into your weekly goal so you have a buffer already built in that you can tap into and not gain weight, may see an increase on the scale from water weight after an indulgent night but you should be back on track with weight loss by end of next week.

• bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options

why would you do that? its not healthy, sustainable, or necessary to lose weight.

That's just the plan until Friday. After that it's business as usual. ;)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do it all the time, hasn't stopped me from dropping 46.5 pounds so far. enjoy lobster and white wine sounds good! edited to add, I don't ever eat less then 1200 calories and my goal is set at like 1700 calories. this week I hurt my leg, so I haven't done much exercise so I'm eating like 1400 calories.
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I was going to respond that on the MFP app you have the option to look at your calories over a week's time instead of daily (although I don't think the math is working at the moment), and that your weekend plans sound awesome!

However, I think you are being pretty aggressive with creating that additional buffer, based on the numbers you posted above. It's really not healthy to net less than 1000 cals, which is what you are doing if you aren't eating back those exercise calories. The last thing you want is to run yourself down so much that you don't enjoy the event, because you are tired, sick, etc.

If it were me I would try to net 100-200 cals less than your goal in the days leading up to the event, which would give you an extra 500-1000 cals to work with that day. I would also consider that if you are set to lose 1 lb/week, you already have a deficit of 3,500 cals built into your weekly goal so you have a buffer already built in that you can tap into and not gain weight, may see an increase on the scale from water weight after an indulgent night but you should be back on track with weight loss by end of next week.

So would it be a better idea to add more calories or to cut back on the cardio? (My weight lifting and my yoga are nonnegotiable. I love those almost as much as I love lobster. Haha) I lift 3x/week and go to yoga 2x/week. Both of those are done at night. I added a.m. cardio to those days to hit or surpass 500 cals burned. But if I don't really need to.... Hmm...what do you think?
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    I do it all the time, hasn't stopped me from dropping 46.5 pounds so far. enjoy lobster and white wine sounds good! edited to add, I don't ever eat less then 1200 calories and my goal is set at like 1700 calories. this week I hurt my leg, so I haven't done much exercise so I'm eating like 1400 calories.

Thank you and congrats girl! :)