Are you hitting your fiber macros and how important is it?

Options

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I am usually either right at the goal, or over. I eat multi-grain or whole grain breads only, strawberries, humus, and falafel nearly every day. 25g as a goal, is that low, though? What happens if you go over? Too. Lazy. To. Google.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    MFP goal is too low in my opinion and that of many Doctors. Fiber is very important to me and I aim for 30 grams a day. Why? Because constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, and colon cancer are literally a pain in the ***.

Yup to all of this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I am usually either right at the goal, or over. I eat multi-grain or whole grain breads only, strawberries, humus, and falafel nearly every day. 25g as a goal, is that low, though? What happens if you go over? Too. Lazy. To. Google.

It's fine if you go over, but I go over a little TOO much and combined with low fat-it can be not fun times and cause constipation.
  • cld111
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »

25g is a minimum and is actually probably too low.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in fibre and doubt I get much at all. Hurts my gut.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    So many fiber super heroes here!

I will be trawling some diaries as I realize I was really just being uncreative about this problem.

Even the half-assed fiber improvement I have made has helped my stomach problems so I know it is the right direction for me and I do love vegetables - I am not sure how I got into such boring eating habits but I am kicking them, that's for sure.

I think the paranoia of wasting things has held me back when it comes to veggies, berries and things. I can't seem to eat my way through it before it goes bad and instead end up boring myself by eating 3 straight meals of pumpkin or whatever. It is really only me that I am prepping food for, my boyfriend is... lets just say rebellious, about my healthy eating habit changes.

Quest bars and the like are expensive here and only available in speciality shops but I think I know where to find them and I am now motivated to hunt them down, other than that, most of the brands recommended are available here, or comparable products are.

Tomorrow is pay day and then I am going shopping!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes

Raspberries for the win
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Has anyone managed to change macros to grams not %?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Has anyone managed to change macros to grams not %?

You can do that in premium

But it's simple to work out percentages

Just take the carbs and protein at 4 cal per g, fat at 9 cal and work out the closest 5% based on your calorie allowance ...as protein and fats are minimums just round up
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just enabled fibre in my diary and turns out that even on my best day I'm only getting 13g.. explains A LOT.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Feeling highly motivated, I went to the store at lunch time and found some chick peas for my dinner tonight. I also found a well priced bag of fresh Granadilla (Passion Fruit), which are an awesome 5g of fiber for 50g of pulped fruit, probably because you eat the seeds. Was quite pleased with that and I will be eating it with my oats tomorrow morning.

@MissAbbee - I know right? I also got a big shock.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone. I am also realizing that I'm not getting enough fiber, and usually the only days I hit my macro is when I have a bar. (either protein bar or fiber ones) I'll have to make a little list for myself.
  • cld111
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Feeling highly motivated, I went to the store at lunch time and found some chick peas for my dinner tonight. I also found a well priced bag of fresh Granadilla (Passion Fruit), which are an awesome 5g of fiber for 50g of pulped fruit, probably because you eat the seeds. Was quite pleased with that and I will be eating it with my oats tomorrow morning.

Mmm... passion fruit. So delicious! Good choice! :)

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am on a budget as well. I often purchase frozen berries in the off season. I can just measure out into serving(s) and thaw as needed. No waste.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I never tracked fiber, but now I added it as a tracked macro and I'm averaging 4-7 per day. Not so good!
  • ivarunsoncoffee
    ivarunsoncoffee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough fruits/veggies and whole grains. Also triple zero Oikos yogurt has 6 grams of fiber per serving. There are tortillas with 8 grams of fiber. I noticed that the one you use has only a gram. Look up fiber content of fruits/veggies and try to eat a couple a day. Good luck!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There are days I miss on fiber, and days I go well over. In the end it all works out.

If you are consistently low, you probably want to make some changes thou. There are benefits to GI health as well as increase satiety to be gained.

I don't know why your fiber goal is set so high, but the Institute of Medicine recommendation for fiber is only 25g for a female 50 and under, and 21g for 51+ ( http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983?reDate=23072015 ). I checked your diary, and the dates I saw your exceeding that, so your at least getting your minimums.

Lotta good suggestions above for sources and so on, to give you ideas for variety and to hit your target. Also, make sure to double check entries that you don't use regularly, to ensure it matches the labeling on the product.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I can easily meet my fiber micro by eating whole grain bread, Dannon Oikos triple zero greek yogurt, rice, Fit and Active multi grain with flax flatbread. The yogurt has 6 or 7g of fiber. The flatbread I use has 8g. Of course fruits and veggies are a good way as well to meet your fiber goals.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also have to make an effort to hit my 30g fiber goal (35g+ is even better). I do a morning fiber supplement (3g) with my water, a little chia seeds and a couple other staples that are high in fiber:
    raspberries
    lentils
    avocado
    artichokes
    soy nuts or pumpkin seeds
    trader joe's high fiber o's
    nature's harvest multi grain bread (3g of fiber per slice for only 40 cals)
    smucker's sugar free jam raspberry or boysenberry (3g of fiber a tablespoon for only 10 cals)