Banting

Options
nadiB
nadiB Posts: 283 Member
Hiya everybody, I am not new and having been using MFP on and off for years, sometimes with small wins and sometimes sadly with no success. I have been introduced to banting and convinced to give it a try so I started banting yesterday so far so good but would love some thoughts/ tips/ success stories from other banters! :)

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So had to Google it, but basically LCHF , yep? Loads of groups and threads on here if you call it low carb!
  • nadiB
    Options
    Yes LCHF, should have mentioned that lol thanks :-)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed that this isn't a diet where all you can ever eat is a cheeky Nando's.
  • nadiB
    Options
    hahah wouldn't that be awesome! although I'm suspect nando's without the chips, potatoes, bread or ice cream on the rare occasion would be fine on this diet lol
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    nadiB wrote: »
    hahah wouldn't that be awesome! although I'm suspect nando's without the chips, potatoes, bread or ice cream on the rare occasion would be fine on this diet lol

Doesn't sound very cheeky to me, I don't think you could get much banter with that.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No way I want to live on fat and meat and nothing else for the rest of my life....Make sure to keep and eye on your cholestrol if you do this, and to commit FOR LIFE....

A buddy of mine jumped on the Banting/Tim Noakes bandwagon, lost 30kg at the speed of light and ended up in hospital for a triple bypass shortly after..... He is now doing Weight Watchers and trying to lose the same 30kg again....

I lost 30kg slowly, eating bread, chips, rice, fruit and the occasional pizza & red wine dinner - and the only side effect is that I'm still keeping it off 8 years later.....
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Banting? Im the archbishop of Banterbury I am :-)
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »

Mate I'm a bantasauras rex mate
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

We could be Bant and Dec mate. Practically Barack Obanter. We should be sent to bantanamo bay for these right cheeky bants.
  • MaraAraLara
    MaraAraLara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I follow a mostly paleo diet and people do note that there are some similarities between the two. However, with my fitness goals as they are I have had to make some adjustments. I think it is more important to eat clean healthy foods with minimal processing, but also be flexible in your approach to food. Have a think about what your goals are and check if the diet fully supports those and your body. Its ok to add in things you feel you will need. Best of luck with your journey!
  • nadiB
    Options
    I follow a mostly paleo diet and people do note that there are some similarities between the two. However, with my fitness goals as they are I have had to make some adjustments. I think it is more important to eat clean healthy foods with minimal processing, but also be flexible in your approach to food. Have a think about what your goals are and check if the diet fully supports those and your body. Its ok to add in things you feel you will need. Best of luck with your journey!

Thank you

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF and find it to be a good WOE. I am in ketosis so I felt a little less well as my body figured out it needed to burn fat instead of glucose, but now I find it quite satisfying, and I feel better tha I did before.

I keep my carbs below 50g per day and eat about 70g of protein, the rest is fat. I eat a lot of meat, eggs, nuts, avocados, cocnut, cheese and cream. I eat veggies but not a lot like spinach, peas and beans, celery and cucs. I avoid most fruits, but I've never eaten more than 1 fruit a day. I do not eat more than a bite of starchy things like rice, other grains, baked goods, corn, potatoes, or beans.

Try the Low Carbers Daily forum. Everyone there is eating LCHF or ketogenic so you'll find a lot of support and knowledge there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There's not a lot of support for LCHF around here, and a few are almost hostile towards the idea. Keep that in mind when you get negative responses.

Good luck!
  • nadiB
    Options

We could be Bant and Dec mate. Practically Barack Obanter. We should be sent to bantanamo bay for these right cheeky bants.

This is exactly why I have not posted anything in years of using this site. I asked for honest support and success stories for a life decision I've made. If you are not able to contribute something good is it really necessary to make fun of people's choices. Disgusting behaviour for people on a site that is meant to be supportive.
  • nadiB
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I eat LCHF and find it to be a good WOE. I am in ketosis so I felt a little less well as my body figured out it needed to burn fat instead of glucose, but now I find it quite satisfying, and I feel better tha I did before.

I keep my carbs below 50g per day and eat about 70g of protein, the rest is fat. I eat a lot of meat, eggs, nuts, avocados, cocnut, cheese and cream. I eat veggies but not a lot like spinach, peas and beans, celery and cucs. I avoid most fruits, but I've never eaten more than 1 fruit a day. I do not eat more than a bite of starchy things like rice, other grains, baked goods, corn, potatoes, or beans.

Try the Low Carbers Daily forum. Everyone there is eating LCHF or ketogenic so you'll find a lot of support and knowledge there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There's not a lot of support for LCHF around here, and a few are almost hostile towards the idea. Keep that in mind when you get negative responses.

Good luck!

Great thank you, just joined this group :-)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

This is exactly why I have not posted anything in years of using this site. I asked for honest support and success stories for a life decision I've made. If you are not able to contribute something good is it really necessary to make fun of people's choices. Disgusting behaviour for people on a site that is meant to be supportive.

They're being absolute ledges and referencing the cheeky Nando's meme. Not everything is about you, even on your own thread.
  • DemoraFairy
    edited July 2015
    Options

I was being partially serious with my first & second comments, I don't personally like the idea of LCHF, and don't think you'd get any cheekiness or banter from it.

Having a bit of a joke doesn't mean that people who do have something to offer aren't going to comment too, it doesn't take away from the thread. If anything, it bumps it back to the top of the forum so more people are likely to see it.
  • nadiB
    Options
    point taken. I still wish I hadn't posted though as I was really hoping for more of the positive and less of the bantering
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    point taken. I still wish I hadn't posted though as I was really hoping for more of the positive and less of the bantering

You can't ask for some 'other banters' and not expect some propa banter, mate ;)

As the first response says, you'll probably have more luck looking at groups for this sort of thing. You'll probably get more responses here saying that CICO is better than LCHF (I'm surprised there aren't any responses saying that already, actually).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's a few really helpful people around who know LCHF and have been doing it for quite some time. You just have to sift the the other "helpful" stuff to find it.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Don't ever lose your sense of humour, life can really suck without one.... As for the positives of Banting/LCHF, you will have to go to a group specifically for that - on this forum you will get all kinds of responses - the internet works that way...
    Good luck!