Ladies: Let's Talk About Knickers

Options

Replies

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I can't go commando, tried it but felt so exposed even with the lining ones. Thongs just drive me nuts, I can't, I just can't...

My go to are seamless bikini panties - no lines and comfy. Or the seamless hiphuggers one. The cheekies are iffy for me, some stay put others want to give me a wedgie.
    https://victoriassecret.com/panties/bikinis/seamless-bikini-panty-pink?ProductID=250922&CatalogueType=OLS
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    michablar wrote: »
    It's not about a "pantyline showing"; It's about being comfortable while working out so you can completely focus on your workout. Men...

Right... /eyeroll

Caitwn wrote: »
    Boy shorts! You may have to try different brands for just the right fit - but if you find one that works for you, they're great.

I've been wearing some boyshorts, but I'm tellin' ya.. Every time I squat, my *kitten* is like: "I SHALL CONSUME YOU."
    Needless to say.. it hasn't worked out very well. :D
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I just wear thongs while working out (and any other time I'm out of the house, minus TOM). I do not worry about panty lines though, just all the extra fabric of regular underwear do not work for me. Especially in the hot humid *kitten* summers they have in this state. Oh, also, I don't lift or do squats regularly so, no advice for that.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are pretty inexpensive seamless panties at Walmart and Target. Much better than a thong! Also, I find that if you wear panties with full enough coverage that the seam is actually under the curve of your butt, it is much less visible, even in tight workout pants.

That being said, may I point out that most of us at the gym are way too worried about our own workout/sweaty mess to notice whether you have visible panty lines.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go for functionality and comfort and don't worry about lines. Buy pants that don't give you wedgies, and buy cotton despite the lines because it will breathe best for sweat management.

As an example, Costco women's briefs are fine, so long as you ditch your self-consciousness about lines. You are at the gym to work out not to pick up on people, and cheap cotton undies are the most functional because they breathe even under spandex, and plant fibers are mildly anti-bacterial (though not so much vs. mold).

People look at your form in your exercises. If women look at your butt, most of them will be thinking "what should I be doing to get my butt to look like that", and if men look at your butt they're generally trying to tune the clothing out--completely--so it doesn't matter what you wear to them, either.

Patterned gym-wear may hide lines better if you're still worried about them, but really--don't worry about panty lines. It's not worth your energy, and seriously, if someone is so petty as to be judging you over panty lines, is their opinion (on anything) really worth caring about? Worry about social justice or something else worthy of your energy.

I can't wear shorts either. I don't have a thigh gap, so they ride up. Spandex work-out knickers don't. & I wear cotton briefs underneath.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Some women, especially after having kids, can't go underwear-less to the gym because of stress incontinence when exerting effort to lift weights. So commando isn't a solution for everyone.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of super comfortable thongs that I wear, and yoga pants and shorts made of thicker fabric. I've checked myself out in downward facing dog with a mirror to make sure nothing is happening back there when I contort myself.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    This thread is awesome.

I buy training shorts that specifically come with a liner so that I don't have to wear underwear. Do they not have something similar for women?
    Yes, but for some reason they're not as easy to find for women. They work well for this issue.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Aren't you at the gym to workout...why are you worrying about a pantyline showing #getyourprioritiesinorder
    How about this - get yourself a piece of dental floss, thread it between your legs from front to back, and pull up. That's how underwear feels for women when we squat. Get the picture? #prioritiesareinorder

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Fit_Fox88 wrote: »
    I wear the C9 compression stuff from target and the material is on the thinner side. I just don't wear anything under them. I wore a thong one time and it was the most miserable squat session ever. I've heard some of the Under Armour styles are comfortable and there are other brands that make athletic underwear, but I've never wanted to spend $15-$30 for one pair. That's like an entire workout outfit!

Yep. That was the other thing I forgot to mention... How do I get around this issue, without paying $15+ for a single pair of specialized underwear? Ggrr...

I'm too self conscious of my legs to wear shorts of any kind at the gym, especially during cardio.. but I'll have to look into some of these other ideas, thanks ladies!!
    I wear thongs in the gym and I haven't noticed that they're visible through my pants. I also wear thongs with tiny, tight shorts made of thin cotton without being able to see them, and I just wear cheap Walmart or Target thongs - not with the strings or lace or anything like that. So I'm not sure how you're seeing a hem. Is it the hem on the top of your butt crack or on the sides?

As for comfort, I haven't noticed regular thongs with tight capris being a problem for me, even on leg day or during cardio sessions. If it does ride up, I lift in my garage gym, so I could technically extract any front wedgies without people giving me weird looks, but I don't think I usually have the need to do that.

I used to hate thongs and never understood how girls could say they're comfortable. Maybe they grew on me. I'm not going commando in workout clothes, though, so they're really my only option to avoid pantylines.

I think my pants just don't have thick enough of material to conceal the thong line, or I just need to find some of those no-show laser-cut thongs without a real hem.

Front wedgies: The. Worst.

I hated thongs when I was bigger, now I don't have a single issue with them. I thought they were just universally uncomfortable, but after losing weight I changed my tune. I'm a little sketched out being commando at the gym, even in pants. But if that's the only way to avoid this ridiculousness, maybe I'll have to change my tune there as well. >_>

My highest weight was only 155, so I don't get why my feelings about thongs changed. Maybe having to wear them to work every day (slacks with pantylines? um, no.) just toughened me up down there. :smile:
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Commando. I bought sweat wicking running capri's so wearing cotton undies would just defeat the purpose and ive yet to shell out on sweat wicking underwear as i find most underwear uncomfortable in my daily life anyway
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have never once thought about my pantyline showing at the gym... But my underwear get kind of soggy so I've been looking for some quick dry ones.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that cotton panties will hold moisture next to your skin as it doesn't wick. Though not quite sure where I heard that so I may be wrong.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wear thick *kitten* sweats with a longer length tee-shirt. I look like I just rolled out of bed when I'm at the gym, baggy sweats and a long over stretch t-shirt, but I could really care less.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Some women, especially after having kids, can't go underwear-less to the gym because of stress incontinence when exerting effort to lift weights. So commando isn't a solution for everyone.
    If you have that problem, underwear alone won't be much of help anyway.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    All I wear is wide band lace thongs. I never notice them while exercising and frankly, if someone sees the band, it looks cute!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that cotton panties will hold moisture next to your skin as it doesn't wick. Though not quite sure where I heard that so I may be wrong.

Cotton will hold moisture and does not wick. I prefer microfiber boyshorts for this reason. They give me a "shorts line" at the front of my leg under my spandex workout capris, but oh well. Comfort.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    This thread is awesome.

I buy training shorts that specifically come with a liner so that I don't have to wear underwear. Do they not have something similar for women?

Yes, this question.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    If you have that problem, underwear alone won't be much of help anyway.

Pretty sure that's the point she is making. In this instance, you would need "regular" underwear so you can use an incontinence pad or something along those lines.