What diet do you follow

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I follow the:
    Eat the foods I like within my calorie goal trying to focus on nutrient dense choices most of the time and incorporate exercise such as walking every day diet.

It's a bit of a mouthful (literally and figuratively) so i will just go with CI<CO.

OP I don't know much about Slimming World but I've seen a few posts on here about it and it seems sort of like a British version of Weight Watchers. I know some people like those type of programs because they are regimented and help take the guesswork out of figuring out what to eat in order to stay within a calorie deficit. there are people who need that kind of structure, but I don't think it teaches you how to make choices that enable you to create a calorie deficit or maintain a healthy weight in the long term without a bit of a crutch. Plus it's expensive and calorie counting is free!
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat low carb (between 20-50 grams per day) and I do not log. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. Since I weigh my food, I have a vague idea of calorie deficiency even so. I exercise three to four times a week, a combination of pilates, yoga, kettlebell circuit, cardio and heavy lifting. This will not work for everyone, but calorie counting did not work for me. Mind that I have PCOS and issues with blood sugar control. When counting calories alone I lose very slowly even at 1200-1500 calories, I get the shakes and sometimes fits - and it does nothing for my hormone imbalances.

It is not a diet, mind. I have to do this forever, likely, or I will become ill again.
  • lannemack
    lannemack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not not on a "diet," one thing I've done is drastically cut out any junk food (but not completely) and amount of carbs (like pasta and breads) and increase my intake of fruits, vegetables, and protein/calcium. Maybe one day of the week I'll have a bag of chips and a candy bar.
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    CICO.

I've lost 52 lbs since February, hit goal this month and happily living in maintenance land.

That's amazing - I started losing weight in Feb but then seemed to drift off and never quite got back into it. If I had kept it up perhaps I could be 52 lbs lighter. I'm so cross with myself!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My diet is eat to my macros like I hope it will be forever more :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    if you use a 'diet' you are most certainly doomed to fail in the long term....

Can you elaborate on this?

research knocking around this week shows that less than 1% of woman and less than 0.5% of men actually keep the weight off they lose when the diet. Better think lifestyle change and change who you are and what you do forever rather than join the 99% who think the answer is cutting out a bit of fat for a couple of months and then end up bigger than they started out 6 months after that. Of course its easy to think we are the special ones ;-) I think its worth putting the effort in to being one though
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »

research knocking around this week shows that less than 1% of woman and less than 0.5% of men actually keep the weight off they lose when the diet. Better think lifestyle change and change who you are and what you do forever rather than join the 99% who think the answer is cutting out a bit of fat for a couple of months and then end up bigger than they started out 6 months after that. Of course its easy to think we are the special ones ;-) I think its worth putting the effort in to being one though
    re you referring to the "research" that tracked people's weights without regard to whether they were actually trying to lose weight or to some other research?

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »

Can you link to the study or a article about the study. Those stats look like the one from the recent study where a section of people who were obese had their records were looked at over a course of many years. Here's the thing that invalidates it, firstly they didn't find out if any of these people were actively trying to lose weight. They were just picked at random. Then they also excluded people who were (weight loss surgery patients).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I follow a high fiber diet. Only 2 rules - eat high fiber, don't overeat.

My diet consists of a wide variety of foods - always lots of vegetables, lots of legumes, some fruit, lots of olive oil. I eat meat (occasionally beef, more occasionally pork, turkey or venison, mostly chicken and fish/seafood). Also reduced fat cheese, non fat greek yogurt, high fiber grains, nuts daily, sweets regularly but not daily, snacks occasionally. The only things I regularly drink are unsweetened tea, almond milk, water and wine. My focus is on balance, but I don't limit my macros by percent. I losing by eating at what I think will be maintenance calories so losing very slowly. I have lost about 20 lbs in a year, and have about 10 (m/l) to go. My plan is just eat this way until I naturally stop losing weight and then stay there.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This time around just CICO. Last time I lost 30 lbs and loosely followed the Mediterranean Diet, mainly because I liked the recipes. I'll still use the recipes but I don't ban any foods or force myself to eat any food daily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Nonsense.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Primal way of eating (I refuse to use the word "diet" because one goes off a diet eventually and i don't plan on going "off" my primal way of eating). I have lost 15 pounds since May 19 (about 65 days) I have a final goal of losing 122 pounds (getting down to 170) but my first goal is to get to onederland which is currently about 78 pounds away
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am on the Mediterranean Diet mixed with the Vegetarian diet. I was quite bloated and my stomach did not look good. With the addition of good fats (olive oil), I look much better. I feel much better with the addition of whey protein. I have also just eliminated gluten an grains as well.
    I've lost 15 pounds in about five or six weeks.
    The interesting thing is that my weight wouldn't move before the addition of the good fats.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The "eat what I want in whatever quantities I want but if my clothes start getting tighter eat less of them" diet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    CICO
    I haven't actually changed the types of food I eat at all. I'm just getting appropriate portion sizes for my calorie goal and I've lost weight.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat my 1550 calories per day allotted by MFP. I don't care about macros.

Basically, if I'm hungry and cold I'm losing weight on the scale, and if I'm not hungry and cold I'm not.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF at a deficit.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    PTFFD diet

Put the f**king fork down
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    Sounds like the leptin diet works because:

1) most peoples' after dinner eating is usually high calorie ( think cookies, ice cream, chips, buttered popcorn). Skip that, and you Eliminate those calories.

2) Eating 3 meals a day ensures you are eating eating at regular intervals, so you are less likely to binge.

3) No large meals = fewer calories

4)Breakfast containing protein= You'll feel fuller longer and not have blood sugar spikes

5) Reduce carbs. Most of the carbs weeat are refined and full of calories. Reduce those , you reduce your caloric intake, and losee weight.
    1) Not if you just move those calories to earlier in the day.

2) 2 meals a day and 6 meals a day could also occur at regular intervals.

3) Not if you eat more at the smaller meals to make up for the calories missing from the large meal.

4) What if you don't feel hungry in the morning?

5) Carbs have four calories per gram, regardless of how refined or not they are.

It sounds like most of your reasons for believing the leptin diet works comes down to fewer calories. Any approach in which you eat less than you burn will work.

I think that's her point... she wasn't the one originally saying she's on the leptin diet. She's just trying to find reasons why that diet might lead to you losing weight.
    Except her reasons don't make sense. Why is three meals a day "regular intervals" but six isn't, for example? If her point is that lower calories works then, yeah, that's great, but there's no reason to have to jump through those silly hoops to get lower calories.

A) I don't don't follow any special diet. I try to eat healthy and stay within my calories. I was just pointing out why it probably works.

B) I'm glad your diet works for you. It won't work for everyone. Some people need more rigidity than others. So, yay for you and what works for you, go get a sticker of something. But the world doesn't revolve around just you, so there are different eating styles for different people. Nobody said there is only 1 way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat my 1550 calories per day allotted by MFP. I don't care about macros.

Basically, if I'm hungry and cold I'm losing weight on the scale, and if I'm not hungry and cold I'm not.

This is sad :'(

I follow the CICO thing too....but

1. I Care about my macros (protein & fat are filling)...fiber too, and I track that also.
    2. My "cut" is a modest one. A moderate cut in calories takes a bit longer (preserves more lean muscle).....and I'm not miserable. Different strokes......