How much does everyone pay monthly for gym? and what do you get with that?

Options

Replies

• SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go to a local gym with your basic cardio and weight equipment. No classes or anything like that. $39/ month. It's open 24 hours which is pretty cool. I used to take martial arts for $150 a month but had to give that up when I changed jobs.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I go to community college so that comes with a gym memebership.

Let talk about the lack of equipment.

1)only 10 45s plates. They used to have 8 and there were time when me and someone else would use all the 45s.

2) only one good bench for press. The other one is adjustable for incline press. There is no decline pressing set place.

3) dumbbells up to 75 lb. That getting to not be enough.

4) only one squat rack.

I wonder why my school is so weak. Well looking at the weight room there should be no question about it.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    58$ a month for 2 of us and that includes tanning- We go to Anytime Fitness. Access to all locations is nice!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Right now I pay a little over $40/month. I go to Goodlife so they have pools at select locations, treadmills, elipticals, rowers, stair climbers, etc. They also have spin classes, yoga, body pump, zumba, etc etc classes (included in membership - except Hot Yoga isn't). They have the regular showers and change rooms - it's a chain gym so the size and amount of equipment they have really does vary by location. Also, some locations are women only, co-ed and some even have co-ed plus a women only area.

However, I also cross train at a small individually owned gym which is $65/month for unlimited classes and two personal training sessions.

So I just realized recently (lol - my bad) that I'm paying over $40/month to use a treadmill at the one gym since I do all of my cross training and cross fit at another location ha ha.

The chain gym actually has something called Fit for Less which is only like $20/month and they don't have very many amenities - like no showers or group fitness but since I don't use them anyways I don't need to pay for it. I'm definitely switching soon because I don't really use the benefits of the bigger gym, and I really only use the treadmill for running once or twice a week (and my other runs are outside).
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

1)only 10 45s plates. They used to have 8 and there were time when me and someone else would use all the 45s.

2) only one good bench for press. The other one is adjustable for incline press. There is no decline pressing set place.

4) only one squat rack.

I wonder why my school is so weak. Well looking at the weight room there should be no question about it.

To better this gym and provide you with more equipment they would probably have to raise your tuition . . . are you willing to give that?

Also - it's a free membership . . . so it's pretty beneficial to have that. I wish I was still a student so I could use the gym that was at my university.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I go to my local YMCA here in So. Oregon. I pay $50 a month for just me, and it would be $81 a month for my family (2 adults, 4 children). I have access to the swimming pool and hot tub, with changing rooms/showers, and they offer towel and lock rental, as well as all sorts of swim classes like lessons for kids and water aerobics. There is a large gym with a rock wall where they play volleyball, pickleball, tennis, etc., as well as adult play day (dodge ball,anyone?), in addition to children's time with bouncy mats, tricycles, and balls galore. There are two classrooms that offer everything from Yoga Flow to Martial Arts, Boot Camp to TRX, and all sorts of things in between - for no added cost. There is a large cardio room upstairs with ellipticals, treadmills, Cybex machines, stair machines, and rowing machines. The weight room has all the circuit machines (2 sets) and tons of free weights. There is this giant thing in the middle with battle ropes and TRX straps and all sorts of hooks and ropes and stuff on it - I have no idea what all it can do. They also have a large selection of Bosu balls and fitness balls, resistance bands, jump ropes, and such. Also, the daycare is$1/hr per kid. The only downside is that they are only open 8-5 Saturday and 12-5 Sunday, but the 5am- 9pm Monday through Friday is nice.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

4) only one squat rack.

To better this gym and provide you with more equipment they would probably have to raise your tuition . . . are you willing to give that?

Also - it's a free membership . . . so it's pretty beneficial to have that. I wish I was still a student so I could use the gym that was at my university.

If it also meant our school made a football team then yeah I would. Also the gym is never that packed. I wouldn't like the day when all the strong guys came in to lift. Then again we would all just work in and made shadow who you can.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    £25 a month, small gym but well equipped, swimming pool with jacussi, sauna & steam rooms. I often think of cancelling and using the park(free) as it has own body weight equipment but no swimming pool lol
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    $0!! My boyfriend is a personal trainer and owns his own private training studio so I get a free gym, personal trainer, supplements at cost and a very reduced rate with the massage therapist. Oh and the personal trainer comes home to me at night so even better! ;)
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I paid a lot when I started my gym but since then its been $0/month. what do I get? badass workouts that I can squeeze in when the kids are sleeping and I don't have to put on pants...
    its in my garage :-)
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    $0, everything.... My work has a full gym as part of the health and wellness program.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    las07s wrote: »
    I pay $54 quarterly through my employer for access to their facility.

First floor: Olympic pool & diving boards (L/H), two hot tubs, sauna, steam room, locker rooms, maybe 15 treadmills and around 50-60 weight machines, a couple rowing machines, a free weights section, a room I call the "bulk room" which is full of really huge people dead lifting houses and such, 2 spin rooms, a multi-purpose classroom, a yoga nook, and a smoothie bar.

Second floor: 4 multi-purpose classrooms, maybe 15 ellipticals, a variety of stair masters, maybe 10 bikes, more yoga nooks.

Third floor: Indoor track, yoga atrium, more rowing machines and a few ellipticals, 2 basketball courts, ballet/yoga studio(?), and a couple of ping pong tables.

On holidays the gym closes, so there is a smaller building available with weight machines, ellipticals, treadmills, etc. that we can use.

So . . . . are they hiring? lol

Always, somewhere! I work for a university. :wink:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do Planet Fitness for $20.00 a month. Machines, Cardio equipment, tanning bed, massage chairs and hydro massage bed. The $20.00 allows me to visit other PF's which is perfect as I work very close to one in another city and can go before work. Or go to my home gym on the weekends. I am also able to bring someone with me.

I got the same deal!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    $33/month. it's a local 24/7 gym. it is geared largely to weight training with only a tiny little cardio room that is mostly used for warm-ups and cool downs. they do not offer classes of any kind...but their weight room kicks more *kitten* than any other facility in town.
  • angua1234
    angua1234 Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm in college and I use the Athletic Center, so either $0 a month or about $5,000 a month, depending on how you want to calculate it. That comes with 2 pools, standard gym equipment, some classes, and a giant beautiful campus with miles of walking paths.
  • shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    70 for two adults. You get the gym, free classes, pool, sauna, locker rooms, showers. There is a daycare there as well but I was told you have to pay extra for it. I never go to the gym so we're just wasting money :neutral:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I use a community gym (owned by the city parks and rec. department) in a town about 25 miles away. The community gym in my town has poor hours, so I wouldn't be able to use it much anyway. This has 24/7 keycard access.

I used a special last year for $180 for a year. It has treadmills, a stairclimber, ellipticals, weight machines, bars and plates, dumbbells, stability balls, resistance bands.

It's a small community gym in a small town in a rural region... so there is not a lot available here like there would be in bigger cities. The closest city is about 90 min. drive away and there is a rock climbing gym opening soon in that city... I'm thinking about whether to get some day passes to use every once in awhile when I'm in that area, or maybe to take some classes / training sessions there.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I just found a place near where I'm moving that's $250 a year... which is covered by my fitness subsidy... which means $0/month yay!
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    $51/mo tennis, cardio, yoga,swim, sauna,weights, racquet ball/basketball/day care *additional. Of those options; I use cardio/weights/tennis regularly.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym pre-paid $260 for a year.