What do you wish you hadn't done on your fitness journey?

Options
MFP is filled with stories of success as well sometimes people looking for 'shortcuts' other than CI/CO. What is one fad or "diet" you tried on your fitness journey that you wish you hadn't tried?

For me it was paleo. I probably did it wrong admittedly, but I wish I'd never even tried it. Granted I did get to a low weight while doing it, but I missed carbs so much, once I reintroduced it (because there is nothing wrong with me or carbs) all I wanted was more bread...and pasta....

Anyone else? What fad do you wish you hadn't done?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I wish I used MFP and not I think I can do it on my own.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    1. Call it a journey.
    2. Wait so long to start.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't given up so many times. Where I could be if I hadnt.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't put it off for as long as I did.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Actually, for me, it's what I didn't do. As I began to lose weight, I focused on diet and only cardio. I should have begun weightlifting at the beginning. I lost 60lbs in 3 months via cardio, but then I looked skinny fat. It's only then that I took up WL. Took me about 6 more month till I looked healthy and fit. I know now how important building muscle is during this crucial time.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't set my weight loss rate at 2lb/week for the first few months. It definitely led to me logging my intake incorrectly and made my weight loss take that much longer.
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wish I had never tried the Slim Fast diet. In the end, I gained weight and ate more sweets because I was always hungry.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I just wish I'd started sooner. Still can't believe I let myself become 30 lbs overweight. :/
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I wish I had lifted from the beginning and I wish I hadn't stopped lifting for 6 months after I had been doing it for over a year.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    waited so long to start lifting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd stuck to my plan better every single day, but I really did give it my best shot and failures are part of the process, I think.

Trying to eat to numbers didn't work out for me, but I'm not really sorry I tried it. There are lots of things I try just for the heck of it, but I don't regret any of it.

Otherwise, nothing. Unlike so many, I never tried fad diets. I never had to learn about calories. I already knew that stuff.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't ignored what I already knew for so many years and I wish I'd just done CICO every time I decided it was time to lose. Mind you, MFP hasn't always been around and I'd never have written things down and got a calculator out etc so I guess now was the perfect time to start!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't tried to lose weight just by exercising. What a friggin nightmare.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer and dr sent me to a nutritionist

When I first got to MFP I already knew there is more to a piece of food than calorie count only.

I wasted time discussing CICO with some people here that treat it like the only property of a piece of food.

It is the internet, not the gym. I don't take things here serious any longer if it remotely conflicts with what I hear from my trainer, doctor, nutritionist.

Don't waste time arguing here. That is the main thing I took from MFP.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Actually, for me, it's what I didn't do. As I began to lose weight, I focused on diet and only cardio. I should have begun weightlifting at the beginning. I lost 60lbs in 3 months via cardio, but then I looked skinny fat. It's only then that I took up WL. Took me about 6 more month till I looked healthy and fit. I know now how important building muscle is during this crucial time.

This for me, too. I've done enough stupid diet things in my life that I'm not even going to try to name them all. The one good thing to come out of it is that I never let myself get to the point where I was actually "overweight". I really, really wish I had started weight lifting sooner and stopped worrying so much about the number on the scale.
  • bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't crash dieted out of impatience. I initially started at 240# and gradually got down to 165# and stagnated there. Then, for a week, I kept my calories under 600 and did two workouts per day. Almost passed out once. I lost 10# in a week, then gained it back over the next few days. Oh, plus another 30#.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't waited so long to start lifting. I could have done it when I was losing weight.
  • AmAnDuh77
    AmAnDuh77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lifting! It's been a game changer for my new lifestyle, wish I had started doing it from day 1 along with my cardio.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    -I wish I had done it the MFP way earlier
    -I wish I hadn't used MFP like some pro-ana teenager for the first few months--I mourn my lost LBM (and hair). Active to highly active and 1000 calories do not mix.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't:

a) pushed hard enough to acquire injuries
    b) suffered logging fatigue/stopped tracking