What do you wish you hadn't done on your fitness journey?

Options

Replies

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wish I hadn't overdone the move more eat less. In the beginning, I read what everyone was saying about CICO, and went overboard. I aimed for -2lb/week, weighed my food compulsively, ate 1200 cals (I'm 5'3"), and ran most days. I continued for 12 weeks without losing more than 2lbs, lost my period, and some of my hair even fell out! At the end of 12 weeks, I was only 2lbs lighter and even impossibly seemed to have worse body composition. (Cardiovascular endurance improved, though, from all the running.) I was so discouraged, tired, and miserable, that I gave up for a very long while after that. I learned to respect the influence that stress and cortisol have on our bodies.

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I would not have tried so hard to eat "clean" and have the perfect workout. I knew better, but I got caught up in the hype. If I had kept it this simple from the beginning-my progress would be much further.

Same for me.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't bought into the "fat is bad for you". That started back in the 80's as I was coming of age and it dominated my 20's and 30's. My only concern was how much fat something had. Not sugar, not protein, not well rounded nutrition, just fat. And not eating fat made me fatter. Imagine that.

Back then nothing was clear enough. All fat was bad. There was no "good fat". It was a hard habit to break. When I get fat free products now, like yogurt, it's because I'm hoarding calories for ice cream, not because of the fat.
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NinaSharp wrote: »
    MFP is filled with stories of success as well sometimes people looking for 'shortcuts' other than CI/CO. What is one fad or "diet" you tried on your fitness journey that you wish you hadn't tried?

For me it was paleo. I probably did it wrong admittedly, but I wish I'd never even tried it. Granted I did get to a low weight while doing it, but I missed carbs so much, once I reintroduced it (because there is nothing wrong with me or carbs) all I wanted was more bread...and pasta....

Anyone else? What fad do you wish you hadn't done?

I regret not becoming Vegan sooner. It would have saved me a lot of pain and suffering from past illnesses, as well as trying to lose weight and get healthy too.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Don't waste time arguing here. That is the main thing I took from MFP.

I am starting to get that. LOL

:#

Also, an interesting study showed that the main reason that people don't work out is they say they don't have any time. But the same study showed that people who worked out regularly, never said, "Oh, I have plenty of time for this." It's one of the things I learned about the above quote. Not to engage when someone says they don't have time to do whatever.
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Started dieting so young.....started dieting at all.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Hmm I wish i would of know of lifting sooner.. I would of did it .. in the begining of my weightloss
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Actually, for me, it's what I didn't do. As I began to lose weight, I focused on diet and only cardio. I should have begun weightlifting at the beginning. I lost 60lbs in 3 months via cardio, but then I looked skinny fat. It's only then that I took up WL. Took me about 6 more month till I looked healthy and fit. I know now how important building muscle is during this crucial time.
    Holy ditto!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Pills that make you not absorb fat.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    NinaSharp wrote: »
    MFP is filled with stories of success as well sometimes people looking for 'shortcuts' other than CI/CO. What is one fad or "diet" you tried on your fitness journey that you wish you hadn't tried?

For me it was paleo. I probably did it wrong admittedly, but I wish I'd never even tried it. Granted I did get to a low weight while doing it, but I missed carbs so much, once I reintroduced it (because there is nothing wrong with me or carbs) all I wanted was more bread...and pasta....

Anyone else? What fad do you wish you hadn't done?

did you count calories on paleo?
    I wish i had just known to do CI/CO. I spent so long wanting to lose weight, thinking i had a hormonal imbalance and should be trying supplements to fix it in order to lose weight. i focused on exercise more than eating and just put out more effort than needed and ended up gaining weight in the process.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I wish I'd never found a calorie counting app.

how come?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wish I hadn't waited so long to see a nutritionist. I should have done it like ten years ago lol. Furthermore I wish I had not tried Weight Watchers. What a miserable waste of my time and money. The nutritionist was the right answer. WW was CRAP.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I wish I would had not put so much time and energy into eating low carb thinking it was the only way I could lose weight. I would probably had been at my goal weight a while ago had it not been for the on and off binging of carbs, gaining 10-15 lbs and then spending a good month or two losing that weight when I decided I was ready to go back to low carb. I did this probably a good 7 or 8 times. I spent so long depriving myself of carbs that it was actually stressing me out more, I think. Now that I'm eating the good carbs I realize this is a way I can eat for life and not depriving myself of certain foods. I think I was miserable restricting my carbs as much as I did, even though I didn't want to admit it to myself at the time.
  • muziique
    muziique Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking today that I wished I started earlier versus later. Oh well! I'm on it now!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't listened to Dr. Oz or believed a word he said when it comes to weight loss.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't given up. But I learned that lesson and this time there is no giving up!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't quit MFP the first time, when I had gone from 161 to 152, and then all the way back up (and then some) to 168. Well now I'm 164, so I'm almost back to where I had started from...
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't stopped exercising. I lost 40lbs and was at goal weight and very fit and happy. I can pinpoint the exact day, because I went on vacation after hitting my goal and didn't exercise on my cruise (which you can!) and never went back to exercising. That precipitated me going back to other old habits and here I am losing all the weight I gained back. Best advice I can give anyone, don't be me and regain, learn to do maintenance right!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I wish I'd never found a calorie counting app.

how come?

It's complicated and varied as to the reasons for myself personally. This is very simplified. I've lost what I've lost doing both not counting and counting (80lbs). My reasons for preferring not to are becoming more evident as I go along - I've been on here 4yrs and backslid over the last year. A preparedness for life challenges had left me. In very short, calorie counting can seduce you away from an investment in behavioural management and better life choices which I feel should be the greater goal beyond calorie counting and for maintenance. Now, I'm past the blame game BTW. It all falls on me. I feel I've learnt a lot from it.

For me personally, in the very beginning, weight loss was just the by product of making better choices with a wholistic view that included my family. I lost sight of that (to some degree) in the name of a deficit and that weight loss ticker. (There's more I could add but I hate monologuing lol). You can actually know too much sometimes? Loopholes lol.

I didn't start out ever wanting to have calorie counting as a focus per se...even though there's no denying that CICO with the right deficit is the mechanism that prompts weight loss. Calorie counting is not the end all be all of driving that mechanism though - it's a very individual choice. I'm working my way back there. Unfortunately it looks like I need to get off here to do it.

Sidesteel covers it better than I do..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/think-in-terms-of-behaviors-an-alternative-viewpoint-752560
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can't really say there's anything I wish I didn't do. I never chased any fads. I could have probably lifted more efficiently back in the day, but that can be looked at as all part of the learning curve.