Is juice REALLY that caloric? 320 for just 15 oz?

Options
http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/red-machine with 320 calories reported on the bottle and on the MFP database. Guess I'm done eating for the day! OMG.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Um. Yes.

ETA: Eat what you need to eat today, within reason. And start again tomorrow. Pre-logging will help with this.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    yeah that's one of the reason why I refuse to drink my calories, hell no! gimme' my wata'! :) besides my homemade smoothies or milk, I cut juice from my eating list; they are in my -It doesn't worth the calories list.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's basically sugar water with some vitamins.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Sadly, yes. :sigh:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Truth. Eat over today and chalk it up as "lesson learned". A shot glass is a more realistic portion for juice.
  • aislingeach
    aislingeach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Juice is so high in calories! I don't drink it anymore except for Bai5 because it uses erythritol for its primary sweetener and has only 5 calories per 8 oz. hopefully no one tells me that is bad for me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Juice is the only thing with soda that I've cut out completely from my diet... it's just not worth it. And I used to down a whole bottle of apricot nectar in one sitting... so I really loved some of the stuff! But it doesn't fill me up one bit... rather eat my calories.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The only thing that would make it worse is to wash down a 700 calorie hand full of mixed nuts with that big glass of juice

Two things I liked but have cut way back on
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    The only thing that would make it worse is to wash down a 700 calorie hand full of mixed nuts with that big glass of juice

Two things I liked but have cut way back on

:o lolllllllll yeah it's like the ultimate bomb! :D
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Dude, yes, fruit juice has tons of calories. I would rather have a mountain dew, lol.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    They have a juice that's almost 500 calories per bottle:
    http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/protein-zone-banana-chocolate

Juice and soda are the two things I have also given up on. I'd much rather eat the whole fruit than drink the fruit juice -it's the difference between 20-ish minutes of eating or 1 minute of drinking.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What bugs me about that particular product is that it is mostly overpriced apple juice. Small bits of other fruits are added for color and to make the buyer think that he is getting something special.
    Two or three apples would be more satisfying and lots cheaper.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yepp.. it was my go-to when I just couldn't look at food anymore when I was bulking.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think there's a lot of dieters out there guzzling down fruit juice because it's "healthy" , and paying no attention to it's calories.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Juice is horrible.....eat the actual fruit.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you like to drink your fruits, smoothies are the way to go.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    labohn91 wrote: »
    If you like to drink your fruits, smoothies are the way to go.

Definitely! I have one everyday. At least when blending you get to keep the most nutritious part.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, juice has a lot of calories and sugar (albeit natural) and almost no fiber. Whole fruit tastes the same and has lots of fiber.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So home made smoothies are a good idea but juices are typically going to leave me hungry? Is that the upshot?

Wow, this was a huge learning for me.

By the way, nuts are important, long term. I buy the current thinking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/nuts-health-longevity-cut-death-risk_n_7570346.html

smoothies good, juice bad, eh? Cool!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    So home made smoothies are a good idea but juices are typically going to leave me hungry? Is that the upshot?

Wow, this was a huge learning for me.

By the way, nuts are important, long term. I buy the current thinking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/nuts-health-longevity-cut-death-risk_n_7570346.html

smoothies good, juice bad, eh? Cool!

Be careful with smoothies. Some people use vanilla yogurt , a lot of fruit and then some flavored protein powder. They end up with more calories and just as much sugar as the juice. If you are going to make a smoothie, choose ingredients that fit your goals.

I make a smoothie on occasion (veggie based, only one piece of fruit, maybe some plain yogurt or just water and 25 grams of unflavored whey protein) and it never keeps me full as long as just two eggs. It tastes good, but it's not my goto breakfast.

And I'm a big fan of nuts!