Is juice REALLY that caloric? 320 for just 15 oz?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

eric2light wrote: »
    So home made smoothies are a good idea but juices are typically going to leave me hungry? Is that the upshot?

Wow, this was a huge learning for me.

By the way, nuts are important, long term. I buy the current thinking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/nuts-health-longevity-cut-death-risk_n_7570346.html

smoothies good, juice bad, eh? Cool!

That's how it works for me. Juice doesn't fill me up at all, I may as well be drinking water.

I have a smoothie everyday for lunch, and it's very filling and thick, I have to eat/drink it with a spoon!

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink juice because it's high calorie and doesn't fill me up. The only exceptions is that I may have an 8 ounce glass if I'm getting sick, and I have had some when I have calories left and it's hot and I feel low in potassium. Never more than 8 ounces though because then I have to start giving up food to fit the calories.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love with this community! Thanks for being here everyone!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

:+1:

I love it here too! I'd be lost without mfp.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Nuts are fantastic. Put a few in the smoothies. Add some greens too :)
  • eric2light
    Options
    You know I think I traditionally have drunk various juices because I experienced them as in some sense Cooling in a way that I don't experience cold water as cooIing. I suppose macrobiotic people would say that its yin or something like that, but I am not sure.

I'm imagining that I can learn to turn the ingredients of a fruit salad into a smoothie that I will experience as cooling in much the same way. anyone want to share a recipe?

I'm not looking for a meal replacement smoothie. More of a snack smoothie.

Am I making any sense to anyone?
    :*
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So home made smoothies are a good idea but juices are typically going to leave me hungry? Is that the upshot?

Wow, this was a huge learning for me.

By the way, nuts are important, long term. I buy the current thinking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/nuts-health-longevity-cut-death-risk_n_7570346.html

smoothies good, juice bad, eh? Cool!

Juices are not good or bad, just high in sugar and low in fiber. If you want your juice just calculate it in your calories and you can still make progress. You make perfect sense to me, best of luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You know I think I traditionally have drunk various juices because I experienced them as in some sense Cooling in a way that I don't experience cold water as cooing. I suppose macrobiotic people would say that its yin or something like that, but I am not sure.

I'm imagining that I can learn to turn the ingredients of a fruit salad into a smoothie that I will experience as cooling in much the same way. anyone want to share a recipe?

I'm not looking for a meal replacement smoothie. More of a snack smoothie.

Am I making any sense to anyone?
    :*
    Perfect sense.
    Cooling ingredients could include cinnamon, lemon, ginger, watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, carrots, watermelon, cucumbers, berries. :)
    Here are two that work.
    1. Carrot Strawberry Smoothie
    1 cup almond, rice, or regular milk
    1 banana
    2 carrots (or 2 handfuls of baby carrots)
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup of ice
    Blend together on high for 30 seconds or until smooth.
    ======

kmvho81wr2df.png

2. Cool-as-a-cucumber smoothie recipe with Greek yogurt
    (You can modify by using milk instead of yogurt and more cucumbers.
    Also, I always put some greens like a little Romaine lettuce into a smoothie.
    If you do not want to use any milk or yogurt, try coconut water. I love coconut water for smoothies.
    http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2011/08/cool-as-a-cucumber-smoothie-recipe-with-greek-yogurt.html

6 oz plain Greek yogurt (I use 2% fat)
    2 tsp plain yogurt (I use 0% fat)
    2 small Persian cucumbers or 1/2 of a large English (seedless) cucumber, roughly chopped
    2 tsp agave nectar or honey
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    3 mint leaves
    Pinch of black pepper
    2-3 ice cubes
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A big cup of coffee and then a big cup of OJ used to be a good hangover cure

Not that any of the healthy MFP pees ever did that

• Deadcat66
    Deadcat66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try tomato juice. It's half the sugar content with more vitamins. Try half as much and sip it. I found with juices and such people have got used to slinging it down their knecks like water because they always were told it was healthy. You can do that with water, for when your thirsty, but savour every other drink like it was liquid chocolate you will drink less
    and enjoy them more.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah I couldn't believe it either when I realised how many calories were in those juices - they look so healthy! They also try not to make it look so high by increasing the number of servings per bottle when we all know we didn't intend to share the bottle in the first place! I just have water or a fruity tea instead, more calories to spend on real food!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Yes.

That's why "juice glasses" are 4 oz glasses. You're not supposed to drink massive quantities of juice.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i try to stay away from juices because i don't believe it's that great for the body to get a whopping 500 cals of primarily sugar in a 5 minute window. Also, it does nothing for my appetite.

Ask yourself this, could i sit down and eat all of the fruits and veggies being put into this juice? How long would it take me? How many calories would that be? And weigh your options.

By all means if you love juice find a way to fit it into your calorie goal, but for me, it isn't worth the calories. I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason why we see so my over weight toddlers.
  • eric2light
    Options
    @RodaRose Wow, I just made a simple smoothie with a pear, a banana and some and some soy milk and ice... really seemed like eating ice cream. I think I will eat it with a spoon and treat it like an ice cream snack. I can really fool myself into having much of the "ice cream experience" for roughly 232 calories. And I'm eating fresh fruit!

Does this give anyone ideas to share?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @RodaRose Wow, I just made a simple smoothie with a pear, a banana and some and some soy milk and ice... really seemed like eating ice cream. I think I will eat it with a spoon and treat it like an ice cream snack. I can really fool myself into having much of the "ice cream experience" for roughly 232 calories. And I'm eating fresh fruit!

A good ice cream sub is to take a banana and slice it into pieces and freeze it. Then after it is frozen throw it in the blender and keep blending until you get soft serve ice cream consistency. Unlike most fruits, banana is not icy like sorbet but instead gets very smooth and creamy like ice cream. I usually add cinnamon and some vanilla extract, but you can have it plain.

I've also made various other flavors by adding things like unsweetened cocoa powder and natural peanut butter, or grated ginger and coconut milk. You can throw anything you like in it to create a new flavor. Also, those Jordan's Skinny Syrups, which are zero calorie (stevia sweetened) coffee flavorings, can be added (just a teaspoon or so is needed) to create flavors like salted caramel, mocha, etc. There is a very wide range of flavors available.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Personally, if I want ice cream but don't have the calories, I eat the 40-cal sugar free fudgesicles. Smoothies leave me hungry in a couple of hours and mashed banana is about the same as no added sugar ice cream, calorie wise. I've also seen people on here say they freeze pots of Greek yogurt but I've never done it myself.
  • eric2light
    Options
    @MoiAussi93 do you tend to use an immersion blender or what to make these?

I love the touches like cinnamon and vanilla extract! THANKS!

I get have Amazon prime. What's the cheapest way to get Jordan's Skinny Syrups ? (New Yorker here.)

• MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @MoiAussi93 do you tend to use an immersion blender or what to make these?

I love the touches like cinnamon and vanilla extract! THANKS!

I get have Amazon prime. What's the cheapest way to get Jordan's Skinny Syrups ? (New Yorker here.)
    No, I just have a regular blender. It's a cheap knock off of those magic bullet type deals. I don't think an immersion blender would work though. The banana pieces are frozen, so the blender needs to be able to handle that.

I'm in New York as well. The cheapest way to get Jordan's Skinny Syrups I have found is to go to HomeGoods. http://www.homegoods.com/tjx/locator.aspx

It's one of those big box stores that sells all kinds of random home wares. They are $3.99 for the large bottles (750 ml) there. BTW, they also sell Torani, DaVinci and some other brand of the syrups as well. I think Torani and Davinci might be $5.99. I have tried all three and think Jordan's is the best. Torani tastes artificial to me if I accidentally pour too much. But you may feel differently.

BTW, the syrups can be used in lots of stuff. I sometimes add them to plain unflavored yogurt to create my own flavored yogurts without all the sugar. I'm sure there are many uses.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sorry, duplicate post. Not sure how that happened!