Desk job and gaining weight

Options
I have been working at a desk job as a secretary at my job for the past four years and have steadily gained weight since I started in 2009. Before then, I worked in retail and was on my feet and moving around all day, so I stayed very thin. Now, not so much. Are there any fellow MFP people who are in the same situation, but are successfully losing the weight or keeping it off? I gained over 50lbs and I want to lose them badly. I have a habit of doing well for a month and then slacking off or giving up (11lbs lost in January) because I get frustrated or impatient.

*Edit: I have been working out nearly seven days a week for the past two months, walking for an hour with my family and then the gym at night for 30-45 minutes doing weights. I've started to add biking in the evening and roughly 20 minutes at lunch at work with a friend. I think my main issue is the food intake, it's so hard for me for some reason.

Thanks,

K.

Replies

• AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    Options
    I figured out that my weight gain also started with my desk job. It really sucks. I am trying to lose about 50 pounds too :)
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Probably most people here have a desk job. I do. You need to up your activity level (i.e. work out). And, of course, log and eat sensibly. Don't go for a drastic cut in calories, so you can stick with it for the long haul.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I only gained about 7 pounds in my frist year here, and that was when I decided to lose the rest of the weight as well. I was diagnosed with medical problems so that made my weight creep up as well. But I walk at lunch, take the stairs, and weights coming off just fine with calorie cutting, yoga, and walking (once in a while I jog, but rarely).
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame the desk job really. If you replace the old movement you got at your job with movement outside of your job, the weight will come off (with proper diet of course). When you really want it, it will happen.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You need to find the motivation yourself.. no one can give it to you. You need to find out how to make yourself continue regardless of the results since no one can make you.

I gained my weight back while working a desk job... But it was my own fault. I wasn't eating the best and I wasn't making time for exercise.

You need to make time for exercise. You need to make proper meals and stop eating out or eating processed foods. You need to find something YOU will stick with so you can get results.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs so far, and I have a desk job (9 - 5). My goal is to walk 15,000 steps per day. I walk to work and back home after work because I live in the city and work in the city. I always walk during my hour lunch break (12 - 1) and after work (6:00 - 7:30). Then I just walk from doing daily things like getting ready, cleaning, errands, etc. On weekends, I tend to take walks as well.
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i have a desk job too. the key is to walk around as much as you can. also, depending on how long is your lunch break is, go out and walk. I have a gym in my office, so during my lunch break, I go to the gym and work out.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. When I began this position 9 years ago, I gained nearly 30 pounds and then 3 years ago said, "Oh no. No. I am NOT gonna be *that* girl." Slowly, but steadily, I started watching what I ate and it took nearly 2 years for the first 15 pounds to come back off. I've been very very slowly working away at it. It really started to show when I began actually tracking my calories. And, because I was so close to my goal weight, but STILL didn't really know how many calories I burned in a day, I got a FitBit Flex. This FitBit has helped me lose these last few pounds gracefully, but quickly (three months and 8 pounds down!). I have 1.3 pounds to go at .5 a pound a week, or thereabouts. And now I KNOW how much I burn and how much I can eat without regaining the weight back.

I exercise at my desk and make every calorie count. :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Completely sedintary job... as varified by my fitbit. I think the key is to add in working out whereever you can. Be that taking a lunch time walk, getting up and going the long way to the bathroom, or just moving around more. Good luck with you weight loss!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Most people have desk jobs. It's so easy to stay seated and snack all day long, not to mention people bringing in donuts, pizza, etc. In the end, whether you are at a desk or running around, it's about keeping your calories at a deficit. Start small. Get up once an hour and walk around for 5-10 minutes. Keep healthier snacks at your desk. Be prepared to make the decision of whether you can work a donut into your day or if you should stay away.

Can you walk on your lunch? Sorry you get discouraged and give up. 11 pounds in a month sounds amazing. The smaller the changes, the easier they are to stick with. Don't try to do it all at once. Start with one thing at a time. Good luck!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I've lost 40. I go on runs sometimes at lunch, but usually in the evenings. I also have two dogs so I spend at least an hour a day walking them. You just need to find ways to move around more. Park farther away from the building, take the stairs, go for a walk at lunchtime, and do some sort of exercise in the evenings.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a desk job. Have since 2002. How do I get around it? I drink a ton of water. I work in a 4 floor building. I pee every 20 minutes and do the stairs up 4 flights each time. I cleaned up my diet, I work out 45 minute to an hour 4 days a week, I dropped 40 pounds in 1 year just from small changes. I'm almost 10 years older than you, if I can do it, so can you!
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have lost 158 lbs and I sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day. However, I'm on the 7th floor. Every time I need to go to the bathroom, I take the stairs down to Main and take the stairs back up to 7. That's atleast 4 times a day. And I take a half an hour walk at lunch. PLUS, I work out 4 days a week. Having a desk job is no excuse.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. May I ask why you got frustrated/ impatient with an 11 pound loss in 1 month?? Maybe that is pushing yourself too much? 2 pounds per week is too high a goal for most people, I have found. With 50 pounds to lose, I'd aim for a 1 pound/week loss so that you are able to eat more and don't get so frustrated. Log everything, the good and the bad... and don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon every once in a while. We all do it. The important thing is that you get back on it! Good luck to you!
  • klm1648
    klm1648 Posts: 4
    Options
    Setting realistic and manageable goals is the only way to ensure success. Focus on incorporating exercise anyway you can (parking farther, taking the stairs, walking around the shopping store longer) anything counts! When it comes to food, start making small choices that you know work and then the following week, increase the change. It is a one day at a time progress. :)
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've worked inside an office all my life. Its not the desk job its what I've chosen to eat that has caused the weight gain. A lot of offices always seem to have 'goodies' around to have too; or office parties.

Now is the time to take back your life and food choices. I've been on this journey (again) and so far have lost 35 pounds since January of this year. Yes its slow. Yes some days I want to give up. Yes its hard to move around; but not as hard as one thinks.
    Park farther away from the door; volunteer to go pick up the mail or run office errands if possible; walk on your two breaks a day (outside if available; around the inside of the building complex if not) and on your lunch break. Is it possible to stand for short periods of time during the day - you burn more calories standing than sitting. Bring your lunch and skip going out; although my boss buys my lunch everyday so I just make better choices (no mayo on the sandwich and limit the number of sandwiches to one or two a week; no salad dressing on the salad; simple but affective ways to continue to lose and work a desk job.

You can do this! :wink:
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    i added some weight as well once i started my job (work in back office - sit at the computer all day). when i was a server i was slimmer (from walking around all day long) drink more water that way you have to get up a lot and use the bathroom :) every 30 minutes i will get up just to walk around. on my lunch break i will go outside and walk for about 15-20 minutes to get some type of movement in. i also go straight from work to the gym and do cardio even if it is only 30 minutes. good luck - you can do it :)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had a desk job where fortunately i was the only one there for much of the time, so I simply NEVER SAT DOWN. I would even type standing up, and sort of putter around, dance in place, whatever, and it REALLY helped get my core muscles feeling a little alive again. I am not at the job now, but I still stand in front of my computer at home, which I have up on a nice wicker box, and i do not sit in front of it. I say anything you can do to help yourself is good.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are 3 rules I follow for keeping the weight off in an office, once they become habits things get easier

1 - If there are stairs, take them every time
    2 - Dont ever eat at your desk and never ever eat anything anyone brings in. I sit beside the 'Tasty Treats' table at work and once you are in the habit of ignoring it, you're halfway there
    3 - Outside the office, you gotta workout. If you can't, then make sure you walk for at least 30 mins a day

It's quite simple. I know that theres always someones birthday/leaving cake lying around or treats. There's also the office 'feeders'. Just gotta decide what you want more.

Good luck
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have lost 158 lbs and I sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day. However, I'm on the 7th floor. Every time I need to go to the bathroom, I take the stairs down to Main and take the stairs back up to 7. That's atleast 4 times a day. And I take a half an hour walk at lunch. PLUS, I work out 4 days a week. Having a desk job is no excuse.

WOW!!! Good for you! Not sure I'd always make it down the 7 flights of stairs, but even down 1, 2, 3, or 4 is better than the one down the hall. Impressive! Congrats on the 158 pounds (a whole person!) loss. :drinker: