How to rid myself of excess water weight

Options
basically exactly what the title says, I seem to carry excess water weight a lot. Any tips for shedding as much as possible?

Replies

• ariana5117
    ariana5117 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drink more water :)
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ariana5117 wrote: »
    Drink more water :)

I currently drink excess of water a day and have a lot of Green tea also. I have heard the drinking water to help but still was looking for more suggestions?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    As above ... drink more water.

I also find a cup of tea can get things moving.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's "excess"?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

If you drink a bit more water (plus maybe a cup or two of tea) and spend the day making tracks to the toilet ... then get on the scale the next day and see a loss ... it's "excess". :)

If not, then maybe it isn't water weight.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yep, drink more water. Eat less salt.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

If you drink a bit more water (plus maybe a cup or two of tea) and spend the day making tracks to the toilet ... then get on the scale the next day and see a loss ... it's "excess". :)

By tea what sort are you talking just as I drink a lot of green tea every day
  • dc1arkson
    edited July 2015
    Options

I know it's excess through weighing each week and tracking this can show ups and downs of your body holding more. I typically hold more after exercise.
  • Machka9
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

By tea what sort are you talking just as I drink a lot of green tea every day

Just about any tea would do, I would imagine.

If I think I'm retaining a bit of water (usually post-exercise), I give it a day to settle on its own, then the next day I drink an extra glass of water and a cup of rooibos or lemon ginger tea. That usually does the trick. :)

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water after exercise as part of the healing process. Deliberately trying to reduce that water weight may lead to slower healing. I really think you should try not to fret it so much.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I know it's excess through weighing each week and tracking this can show ups and downs of your body holding more. I typically hold more after exercise, and currently have a fast day to rid excess water knowing my base weight

If it takes fasting to get rid of it, it's not "excess" water.
  • dc1arkson
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Mr_Knight A days fasting does not drop weight other then water.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options

Only if you don't believe in CICO. A 24 hour fast on a 2500 calorie TDEE is 2/3 of a pound.
  • dc1arkson
    Options

Only if you don't believe in CICO. A 24 hour fast on a 2500 calorie TDEE is 2/3 of a pound.

Sorry but I think you can guess I disagree. After losing as much as I have I do understand CICO, also my "fast" is not a deficit of 2500 cals. Any ways thanks for trying to help
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea can help.

I know i have excess water when my usually loose rings won't come off, and it leaves a divot behind when I press my finger into my ankle/lower legs
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options

A day's fasting generates a deficit equal to your TDEE on that day.

If my TDEE is 3500Cal a day, and I eat at my TDEE six days a week and fast one day I would have a weekly deficit of 3500Cal and expect to lose 1lb a week.

So, you have no clue (literally, this is not an insult) what you are losing on the specific day you fast. It can be anything from glycogen to muscle to fat.

Why don't you stop worrying about being bloated and just record your weight in weightgrapher.com or trendweight.com or libra for android, or happy scale for iphone?

Then you will see what your trending weight does and know whether you are losing or gaining... FAT, which one assumes would be of more interest to you as compared to whether you are retaining water weight for a day or two or three...
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    Dandelion tea can help.

I know i have excess water when my usually loose rings won't come off, and it leaves a divot behind when I press my finger into my ankle/lower legs

Ahh thank you I will try to find some in tescos today
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

A day's fasting generates a deficit equal to your TDEE on that day.

If my TDEE is 3500Cal a day, and I eat at my TDEE six days a week and fast one day I would have a weekly deficit of 3500Cal and expect to lose 1lb a week.

So, you have no clue (literally, this is not an insult) what you are losing on the specific day you fast. It can be anything from glycogen to muscle to fat.

Why don't you stop worrying about being bloated and just record your weight in weightgrapher.com or trendweight.com or libra for android, or happy scale for iphone?

Then you will see what your trending weight does and know whether you are losing or gaining... FAT, which one assumes would be of more interest to you as compared to whether you are retaining water weight for a day or two or three...

This is not an insult? Lol maybe if you need to say this you should re think what you're typing
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    By the way OP: congrats on the weight loss. Impressive!
  • dc1arkson
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @PAV8888 oh cheers mate